Danocaster ? K-Line ? Anyone played both ?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by rh, Feb 15, 2009.

1. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

I'd pick a K-Line over any other med-C T type I've owned or played, bar none. But then, those Danocasters sure look nice. Particularly an upcoming one that's a ringer for a dear K-Line T that I had to sell when my company went under.

If you've played both, your thoughts?

The K-Line neck carve, playability, frets, and sound is 100% to my tastes for a T type. Just thought I'd ask, you know.

2. Csapo

Csapo Gold Supporting Member

I've had/have both. For personal reasons, I just sold my Danocaster T yesterday (still here but boxed up and ready to ship) and my K-Line T is listed now in the emporium.

Both are terrific guitars and you will not go wrong with either. If I were to buy one again, I would be very hard pressed to choose between the two.

3. rh

Hopefully the personal reasons are positive rather than otherwise. If not, here's hoping things turn out well and as soon as possible.

4. Csapo

It's all good and thanks for the wishes.

Don't know if my post was helpful to you, but hope so.

5. rh

Where's that smiley for "sigh of relief" ? There's been so much bad news lately I didn't dare to hope for a positive reason to sell geetars.

Yep, it sure was. Sounds like I'd probably like a guitar from either one just as much, and as Chris has never given me a reason to go elsewhere I wouldn't be missing anything to stick with K-Line.

6. Csapo

:jo

:AOK :dude

:BEER

7. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I've had a couple K-Lines (both strats)...great players. The thing I wish they had was a more refined finish...they appeared to be almost satin, or not to have been wet sanded all the way, are not finish checked, etc...I suppose that keeps the price reasonable. Still, a much better finish than the Nash tele I had...there were drips in the paint. :huh

The pics of the Danos are out of this world...from what I see, lots of work put into the finishing (wet sanding, buffing, aging, etc.)...If I were to buy again, I'd roll the dice on a Dano. I believe he uses Allparts necks too (love the TRO-C!), at least on some builds...and I'm sure it's something you could request if you know you like that profile.

Greg

8. eddie101

eddie101 Member

I've never owned/played K-lines although I heard some good things about them. I do own a Danocaster, however, and it blows away any CS Relic Nocaster/Telecasters that I've owned/played. Dan KNOWS what he's doing as he is also a player - a session player in Nashville which means a LOT to me. I am also thinking about ordering another Dano w/diff neck profile/pups/finish. I hope this helps....

9. rh

Well, time for an update.

I've since owned both a Danocaster and K-Line T-type, although not at the same time.

Dan actually contacted me in reference to this thread, and told me he had a SLG T coming up, and although my preference was for a rosewood board the guy was so darned nice I went ahead and bought one with a maple neck.

Dan, according to his description to me of how he works, won't touch a guitar unless he's in the mood to fully focus and enjoy the work. I don't know if that's just Dan doing some sharp marketing, or actually how he does it, but from the exactly one Dano I have direct experience with I get the sense it's probably how he does it.

The attention to detail is outstanding. The setup on the Dano was a little more traditional feeling (fatter neck, higher action) which I initially didn't like so much. I didn't mess with it, though: Everything about the guitar seemed extremely well considered, and I figured that was true of the setup as well. I was extremely delighted to find that there weren't any fret buzzes or dead spots anywhere on the neck. After a few days I got used to the setup and it stopped being an issue.

What was an issue was I really wanted a rosewood neck. I'll leave out the details here, but being led to believe I'd be able to get a rosewood board Danocaster T in the near future, I found a buyer for the maple neck and sent it on its way. Unfortunately, it didn't work out for me and the rosewood Dano. I'd have never sold the one I had if I'd known I actually wouldn't be able to replace it, but if that's my biggest disappointment this year I'll count myself an extremely lucky man come next January.

One final note on the Danocasters: Dan mentioned in email that he went through a period where the work seemed like a chore, and that maybe some of those he turned out then are missing something. I've heard of some people who had a Dano and weren't all that knocked out by it; maybe it was one from those "dark days" (my words, not his). For that reason, I personally am a little hesitant to buy a used one even if I could. The buying frenzy around them is so high there's no time to be a careful buyer.

See, used or directly from Dan, when the darned things do pop up on an Emporium they sell in less than five minutes -- so, like most people who'd like one, I've got near-zero odds of actually getting (another) one.

How good, really, is a guitar you can't buy? And that, I think, is a good segue to the topic of K-Line.

I played a friend's early K-Line S a couple of years back, and at the time I really didn't really get it. But when Chris posted a SLG T with a rosewood board at around $1500 about a year ago, I jumped on it.

I was so impressed with the K-Line T that I bought one of his LPB S-types almost immediately.

I think Chris does really great work. My sense is that he's really mastered the ability to match components very well -- the pickups sound great, the guitars sound great acoustically -- and I love the finishes and the setup. In my case, my company went out of business and I needed to liquidate some things just to have cash on hand in case I needed it. Selling them was easy, although it took a couple of days not a couple of minutes. :)

But now I'm looking for a rosewood board T, and while yeah in my heart of hearts I wish it were a Dano I also imagine the elusive Unobtainium element of the Dano is a factor in my desire.

So, as soon as I write this, I'll start looking for a K-Line. From my direct experience, I know I'll be very happy with it. I've got a particular finish in mind, so it may take a while to find one. But they're easy to find in stock, and Chris is a pleasure to deal with and a man of his word so even if I can't find one in stock then a custom order will get the guitar to me.

Finally, I recently took a close look at a new builder's work -- Protocaster. I saw three of them on consignment in Main Drag Music in Brooklyn, and they seem to have a lot of potential. I had my two sons with me, so plugging in wasn't an option, but the T I picked up rang out nicely and felt good. At $1395 new I like the price point, too. There are other S / T builders, but they're around $1800+ new which I just have trouble thinking is the right price.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  10. lv

lv Supporting Member

Thanks for the post Richard, good info.

I've found my own personal holy grail s in my k-line, but would love to check out a danocaster at some point.

11. rh

I know what you mean. I can't imagine liking an S-type any better than the K-Line SLB I had. (Although I've never played a D'Pergo!)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  12. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

One of many nice things about ordering a build is you get to specify what you want.Chris built me a wonderful strat with a Nocaster size neck,but 12"radius.Fits me like a glove.I wouldn't hesitate to order another one from K'line.