Danocaster Kubicki Glaser Single-Cut

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by zac, Jan 1, 2018.

1. zac

zac Gold Supporting Member

So back when I was a young, struggling musician in 1996, I had my 1982 52 ri Tele, and 57 ri Strat stolen, so I had to get another guitar quick. In my search, I found a "Kubicki Telecaster" in the Nashville Trader's Post, checked it out, and bought it, and soon afterwards took it to Joe Glaser to have a b-bender installed. While working on it, I found the name "Mike McAdam" engraved on the bottom of the control plate. I contacted him, and he confirmed that it had been his guitar, and that he had ordered the body and neck from Phil Kubicki back in 1983. He had later used it while touring with Steve Earle, during the "Guitar Town" era.

Here is Mike playing the guitar with it's original neck on Austin City Limits

So I used the guitar for a number of years, never really liking the neck, that had an ebony fingerboard. I later found that Mike did not really like it either. I began swapping necks, and then retired it after I got a 1967 Telecaster 6-years ago. I played it so little, that I took all the parts off of it, and contemplated selling the body with the bender. I finally decided to see if Dan Strain would be interested in resurrecting it. He was, and below is his handiwork. I picked it up from him on Friday, and played it out over the weekend. Sounds and plays fantastic. Thank you @DANOCASTER for doing an amazing job, and for bringing an old friend back to life.

2. brandonasat

brandonasat Member

That's one of the coolest guitars I've ever seen posted on this site! I'm sure it sounds/plays as good as it looks. And a cool story too! Thanks for sharing! By the way, thanks for all the great interviews you do on the Truetone Lounge, I look forward to every new episode.

zac likes this.
  3. zac

Thank you! Glad you enjoy the Lounge, and yes, it does play and sound as good as it looks. Dan did an amazing job.

4. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

Great story; love the outcome when Dan sinks his teeth into a project.

Stu Cats and zac like this.
  5. rusty

rusty Supporting Member

nice reggie young vibe too!

zac likes this.
  6. noley

noley Member

What a great looking guitar!

Good on you for not giving up on it, and to Dan for the excellent re-furb.

zac likes this.
  7. 56Tweed

56Tweed Member

Love the story, almost as much as I dig the guitar. Thanks for sharing!

zac likes this.
  8. Gilky

Gilky Gold Supporting Member

That's just killer!

zac likes this.
  9. lumco

lumco Most of the roads I travel are muddy Gold Supporting Member

That is a cool story and a very cool looking guitar..

zac likes this.
  10. zac

That did not hurt. It is routed for a middle pickup, and I have an old Duncan Strat blade pickup like Reggie has on his. Glaser made a lot of dough installing Strat middle pickups in the 90’s.

rusty likes this.
  11. Fred_C

Fred_C Member

Looks beautiful!

How do you like the Glaser bender? Ever compared it with a Parsons-White bender?

Bob Pollock likes this.
  12. zac

I have owned many benders, Glaser, Parsons, McVay, Evans Pullstring, various copies, and they all feel different. I liked the Parsons-White, but did not love the amount of wood that was removed. The Evans is probably the smoothest, but it also requires the most wood be removed. The Glaser is my favorite, but probably because it is what I am used to. I had my first Glaser bender installed in 1992.

13. Ricko

Ricko Member

I saw Mike McAdam play the first time I went to Key West. Afternoon gig with a three-piece band, including the great Ericson Holt on vocals and piano. McAdam (and the others) were great. He put on a clinic of tasteful playing and beautifully crafted solos. Great slide player, too. He plays down there occasionally, and I try to catch them on the Hog's Breath webcam when I can.

Beautiful guitar, btw.

14. zac

Mike is a fantastic, and well respected player. I used to watch him play on TV with Radney Foster, Foster & Loyd, Mary Chapin Carpenter, and Lee Roy Parnell.

And thanks, it his so much fun to play an old friend again.

Ricko likes this.
  15. King Loudness

King Loudness Supporting Member

I saw that on Dan's IG, what a killer guitar. He really did an amazing job restoring that, and I'm sure you will end up using it quite a bit ;) I have two of Dan's guitars and have just touched base with him for a third. Can't wait!

I still maintain that you and Dan should do a Truetone Lounge when y'all have time, it would be absolutely superb. Congrats Zac!

W.

Shnook and zac like this.
  16. sgt_steiner

sgt_steiner Supporting Member

Dan is always the man. Fantastic stuff!

zac likes this.
  17. zac

He does fantastic work. I think he does a neck like no-one else. And I would love to do a Lounge episode with him.

King Loudness likes this.