danocaster neck question

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Alec, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Alec

Alec Member

i've recently bought a dano single cut with a rosewood fingerboard on a .93 U neck. feels great! but it got me wondering - those big necks were common in the early years of telecasters, right? but rosewood boards didn't happen until the late 50s. so is a big fat neck with a rosewood board vintage-accurate? i know that dan likes to keep true to vintage specs, but this is curious to me. does anyone know if/when big fat necks like this with rosewood boards were offered by fender?

2. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

I think the big U necks were found on the Nocasters and then by 52 they slimmed a little,(although based on actual measurements they were all over the map in terms of thickness) and by 54 they were already thinner. So you would be correct that a big U neck with a rosewood board would probably not be vintage correct.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  3. TheWayfarer84

TheWayfarer84 Silver Supporting Member

He’s not like hardline vintage accurate or obsessed. He’s not going to make a blacguard tele with a Floyd Rose, but he’s not restricting himself to only building stuff that existed in the 50’s and 60’s

4. Teleplayer

Teleplayer New Mods On The Block Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dan's necks feel great. Enjoy the axe and make some great music with it!

5. 56Tweed

56Tweed Sub-Octave Member

What @Teleplayer said... I would add then generally people have pretty strong opinions about neck size and shape so you can order the size you like on any of the different era guitars.

I joked once that I wanted a '70s-style thinline, but without a three bolt plate/joint. Thankfully we can choose to ignore the less popular design features.

6. zacmac

zacmac Supporting Member

big necks are really exaggerated these days and mostly from fender and gibson on their reissues. I haven't played any dano's but im sure he has a better grasp of what vintage necks felt like than most. All of the 60's fenders i've played with rosewood boards were a normal c shape and bordering what today's market would call thin. Ive had 3 mid 60's jazzmasters and the 80's mij fenders feel pretty close.

7. Shnook

Shnook Member

Dan offers different vintage/ish neck sizes and shapes to suit his customers needs and specs. If he were going strict vintage he wouldn’t be doing 9.5 radius and 6125 frets either. Basically with a Danocaster you get at killer looking and feeling guitar with a vintage vibe but a few modern comforts. Congrats on your Danocaster. Fantastic guitars!

WornFrets likes this.
  8. Alec

Alec Member

thanks for the replies! it is indeed a fantastic guitar - i was just trying to educate myself a bit re: fender history. hopefully my future holds further danocasters in store for me.