Danocaster Shutting Down

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ColorBlindJames, Jul 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. runningman

runningman Member

I'm just calling it like I see it. Not a perfect comparison, but there are undeniable parallels.

Unlike you and a few others up in here, I don't have a dog in this fight.

2. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

And what dog is it that I have in this fight?

What fight?

There is no fight.

mattjayworker and TheWayfarer84 like this.
  3. Empros

Empros Member

I'm late to this party.

Just wanted to say I have 2 Danos, and they are the best guitars I've ever played.
    Oh and that Dan had been great to deal with. Good luck in the future endeavours, I hope he gets into doing some more custom/weirder designs.

4. runningman

runningman Member

It's a figure of speech. You seem to be taking this all personally

KissTone likes this.
  5. ellis dee

ellis dee Member

so its just a partscaster? he does not know how to make a guitar neck?

6. Mc-K

Mc-K Gold Supporting Member

Lol. It’s unlikely I’d sell it. But I will keep that in mind.

Da Geezer likes this.
  7. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Every guitar is a parts-caster. Did I suggest Dan does not know how to make a neck? I don't think so. I thought I would mention it because some may think he builds from scratch. FWIW I own two guitars and both have USCG necks.

8. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Uh...no!

Tony Foran likes this.
  9. Surfreak

Surfreak Member

Perhaps time will prove me wrong, but in my opinion the current hike in prices for used Danos is a bubble, and eventually they will come down.

Once you realize that Danocasters are a body made by Guitar Mill (I believe) or USACG, a neck made by USACG, and widely available hardware and pickups, then there is only so much value that can be added to justify a higher price than the original selling price.

Thwap, boo radley, Gig Young and 2 others like this.
  10. jacklickson

jacklickson Silver Supporting Member

Yup.

Never played his guitars but he obviously has a talent for making something greater than the sum of its parts. Couple that with what is widely-reported to be excellent customer service and you have the makings of a great reputation. He has earned the respect he is afforded and I wish him nothing but success and peace. He has a talent for assembling things better than most (if not all of us) could. When the hype dies down the market will dictate what kind of premium it assigns to that skill. Would I pay more for a Danocaster than another Fender-style guitar? Totally. Would I pay what people are asking? Not a chance.

But give me a Guitar Mill body, USCG neck, and all the fixings and I won’t create something revered like a Danocaster. To negate the skill of choosing and assembling the right components is to negate the skill of the master home builder because he didn’t cut his own lumber.

daveanto21, Thedude99 and cheetah77 like this.
  11. Adam Zaiger

Adam Zaiger Member

This is not entirely the case. My “Freakin” Strat was made with All Parts (at least the neck). It also had his older gloss-finish on the neck. At some point, he switched to an aged satin-type finish (which many believe is his crowning achievement). I have a one-off from him with this finish and it is almost indistinguishable from a real worn-in vintage neck.

Teleplayer likes this.
  12. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Whatever it is, I'd happily have it on all my guitars' necks.

13. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Rather uninformed comments imo, if you’ve played one.

14. Teleplayer

Teleplayer New Mods On The Block Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for the good input Adam. I remember the Freakin' Era stuff. As well as the very early Danocaster builds. Dan would build, put it up for sale on The Gear Page and it would sell in less than an hour.

I think when he switched over to the Danocaster name (or shortly thereafter), he started sourcing from GM and USACG.

I also agree with you about the satin finish. Interestingly, my Strat has this little chip/divot on the side of the fretboard. It's brilliant. Looks totally authentic, yet does not affect playability one little bit. He did a great job on the neck on mine. Feels totally played-in, and also very vintage-y (I've had my hands on a literal ton of vintage pieces).

15. VJF

VJF Member

I have never seen or played a Danocaster in person but from pictures I've seen I think he does the best job of aging a guitar. If I wanted to age my Fender made guitar and he performed this service, he would be my guy. As I understand it though, he only would age actual refinished vintage guitars not new ones.

16. KissTone

KissTone Member

Because I was being facetious? :rolleyes:

17. jackcarter

jackcarter Member

Sounds like they were part of the “practice run”

18. Gig Young

Gig Young Orson Wells; Mercury Theater 1935 Silver Supporting Member

Yes I recall reading his parties were from Nashville area guitar Mill

and owner's please correct me,
    dano had the neck pockets routed slightly deeper to create less of a break angle on the Tele's saddles.

that's something I've had done several times through The years, or used to Lester method a shim at the headstock end up the pocket.

It gives the lower strings more of that jaw harp sound and a little bit more mids and bass coming through, and the strings feeling a little more slinky

cheetah77 likes this.
  19. NateFreezy

NateFreezy Supporting Member

I got my Dano last year. One of only two lefties he made I think. Very glad to have it, it’s a great guitar and has me looking for another strat to add to the stable.

King Loudness likes this.
  20. King Loudness

King Loudness Member

The "first" Dano lefty, a blonde maple-neck Strat has floated around on Reverb recently, unless that's the one you own. They are awesome guitars.

W.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.