Danocaster Shutting Down

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ColorBlindJames, Jul 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

The reason for shipping in gig bags, is a) it keeps the original cost down b) it's much safer actually during shipment in a well packed shipping box.

I don't use my original dano gig bag, but use a Mono Case for all my work with the Dano... in fact unless something is going on a truck... if I'm carrying or loading the gear I'd never use a hard case.

jm9239 and murraythek like this.
  2. TheWayfarer84

TheWayfarer84 Silver Supporting Member

Prices dropping like flies....the gold rush is over

sputnik likes this.
  3. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Supporting Member

I see only three on Reverb right now ranging from $9,500 - $13,500 Canadian.

29 pages and counting. Impressive.

4. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Did any actually sell at the asking prices?

5. TheWayfarer84

TheWayfarer84 Silver Supporting Member

Sucks if they did. Most are dropping down to the $4-4.5k level - which may still be ambitious

6. murraythek

murraythek Member

2 sold at 8k CDN. Unreal.

King Loudness likes this.
  7. pacreamer

pacreamer Member

Yeah, they have been dropping. I’ve been following the offsets closely and they’ve come down a bunch. Except for the seller with the firemist one. As members mentioned previously, I think they might settle in the 3-4K range.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  8. pacreamer

pacreamer Member

Oh and that Pink one.

9. cardinal

cardinal Member

Gotta go get me a $5000 Danocaster and a $6000 SLO!

10. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

I'll predict Danocaster will start building again at some point, but prices for S or T style will be $3,250.00 to $3,495.00 range. Perhaps a hard shell case will be included. Book it Dano.

Thwap likes this.
  11. beeswax75

beeswax75 Member

I think so, too.

Probably higher, though, and fewer. I'm guessing one per month at 6k now that he sees he can fetch that. Might do "make to order" for wealthier clients, and probably not for 2 or 3 years until he reboots. That way he can stay semi-retired yet also keep some income flowing.

If they settle at 3.2k or 3.5k that would be a deal b/c I was offered 3.5k for my used one before the retirement news broke. It's really a matter of how badly sellers want to sell. I think most people listing don't want to sell and only would at a good price. The ones who actually want to sell you can tell b/c they are dropping theirs to the low 4k (it's a desperate/bad look for them, and I'd beat them up if I were buying).

12. sksmith66

sksmith66 Supporting Member

I read somewhere that when a company shuts down it has an effect on the supply side of that equation. maybe I'm wrong.

Porfirio and beeswax75 like this.
  13. beeswax75

beeswax75 Member

Haha. +1

What's happening now is you have people who don't want to sell so they're listing high, then people who are desperate to "cash in" while it's hot. The people who don't want to sell (but would with a great offer) won't move their prices. There will be fewer and fewer desperate sellers as those get bought up. If anything there's more incentive than ever to hang on to your Dano right now since mortals won't be able to afford another. This will make supply dry up after this initial boost. This is normal and called "shaking out the weak hands" in stock market lingo.

I'm afraid to sell mine because I'll never get another. I'd only part with a really great offer. I have to think others feel this way.

14. sksmith66

sksmith66 Supporting Member

If I owned a dano it would have been listed within an hour of the announcement. It’s a strat... I’ll find another.

carlosmucho likes this.
  15. beeswax75

beeswax75 Member

Fair enough, but the people who own them/have played them don't feel that way.

murraythek likes this.
  16. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Read this thread. A lot have sold. It is great that you love yours but it doesn't change the fact that folks have owned/played and then sold em.

hunter

Jon Silberman likes this.
  17. neastguy

neastguy Member

I put my gibson and hamer in a Mono case without issue... probably safer than a hard case if dropped

Bluesful likes this.
  18. glimmertwin

glimmertwin Member

I really don't think they are that pricey for what they are - tried a number of Danos and they were all good. On the other hand Fender sells comparable guitars for more than this and they seem to have little to no consistency or quality control to speak of....but you get a hardshell case! You can take your hard shell cases and $3k+ fancy Custom Shop Relics that are dogs tonally and have poor setups. I'll keep the better guitar that never sees the case because I am constantly playing it.

Besides - I would argue most guitar players don't really 'need' a hard shell case - most people aren't traveling around the world with their guitars on the regular. The vast majority can get along just fine with soft shell cases - going back and forth between practices, local gigs...or just playing at home. You also gotta figure the touring around the world guy who needs a hard shell case probably has more specific needs for his case - in my days of hitting the road, I wouldn't use the same case for driving around the US in a tour bus where I am doing all the handling of my instrument that I would if I knew I were doing a lot of flying with my instrument(where my instrument is being handled by random staff).

murraythek likes this.
  19. beeswax75

beeswax75 Member

A hard shell case is needed to keep the guitar properly humidified. Unless you temp/humidify your entire living space. For me it's easier to control a small, hard case.

If your guitar isn't property temp/humidity controlled the frets will sprout and/or the neck will warp or bow over time. Mandatory for proper care, even on electrics.

T92780 likes this.
  20. Jay Will

Jay Will Member

It more than likely wouldn’t be shutting down if the demand was there, however I imagine it would take awhile for the demand to surpass the supply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.