Danocaster Shutting Down

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ColorBlindJames, Jul 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Mine is clean-ish (played but loved):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gkoelling, friend33, Solo996 and 2 others like this.
  2. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Supporting Member

@Bluesful, very cool. Mine came with a slight fade where your forearm rests, otherwise brand new.

Bluesful likes this.
  3. Dembec

Dembec Supporting Member

If for any reason you ever decide you want a double cut I have a Dano 57 in two toned sunburst that I'd trade for your single cut...
    Dem

e??? likes this.
  4. johnnylighton

johnnylighton Member

I love my ice blue Double Cut. I was just playing it earlier tonight. Thank you, Dan and Clif.

5. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

Then honor the list...lot's of people chiming in here happy for him, I am too, but frustrated that I missed out buy what looks like a month.

6. Jschoi

Jschoi Silver Supporting Member

This is really sad.... I got my Danocaster a little less than a year ago and I just can't see myself every letting it go, and I signed up for a double cut hoping to be the only Strat I'd ever need...

More than getting the gear, though, it's just sad to come to the end of the Danocaster-era. I've GASed HARD for a Danocaster since I was in college back in 2008-2009 with really, no form of income. A decade later, Dan's guitars still had a crazy wait-list are still leaving their mark. What a phenomenal run!!!

I'm glad I finally shelled up some cash to afford one last year. Good luck to the next chapter of life, Dan!

Da Geezer likes this.
  7. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

Nerts, passed on one 8 months ago, then again I wouldnt want to deal with the kobayashi maru of either hanging on to something that instantly became way more valuable, or being a vulture who cashes out. Then again, there are worse problems to have. Good luck to Dan and crew. The community here did a lot of good for him, didnt spend a penny advertising, just let the good word spread from customers here and elsewhere.

8. underwound

underwound Supporting Member

Interesting watching the almost instant sell-off last night of any “reasonably” priced Danos on Reverb. The remaining guitars had the prices jacked!

NicDo likes this.
  9. King Loudness

King Loudness Member

To the people on here complaining about Dan withdrawing from the business because they 'missed out' or for whatever arbitrary reasons that seem to appear -- get over yourselves.

The definitive reason that Dan and co's instruments sold as well as they did and for as long as they did was because 90 odd percent of the folks who played one were able to understand the love and care that went into every single instrument.

If the man behind the plan, the owner of the business is feeling burned out and needs a change, that is 100% acceptable and in all reality, I don't think quite as many people would want or feel the same way about Danos from a "burned out" Dan, or a Dano from someone sub-contracted by Dan to keep the brand going. For him and the team, it's a love affair and that's why the instruments reflect so highly in the opinion of (most) everyone that has played or owns/owned one.

To me, it actually shows great strength of character and integrity that he chose his own health and happiness rather than getting to the point that he let the business slide/let quality suffer one iota. He has and will honour everyone who paid a deposit, so no thievery has occurred. We also have to remember that Dan is a human being and that we only live once. He and the team have worked hard for over ten years, most of which time there has been a crazy wait list. Remember the time Dan had his injury? There was a wait list all through that and he worked through it to get people their guitars even until he was healed; quality did not suffer. Yes, it's unfortunate that people on the list waited around and won't get a guitar, I get that, but the line has to be drawn somewhere; being bitter about it helps no one.

I spoke with Dan as well as Paulie B. of the team last night and it was a very difficult decision to go through with, but I wish them the absolute best with their future. They are incredible, gracious people and the guitars made over the incredible run reflect that completely. I had no plans to ever sell my two and this just confirms that for me. Back to making memories with them, now.

Ever onward, @DANOCASTER <3

Will.

10. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

He will probably end up at the Fender CS as a master builder. LOL

11. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

Was Dan the first or one of the first to relic new guitars ? He was the best at it and I think that sold a lot of guitars. Personally, I don't care for the relic look but most people do.

12. Cheddar Kung Pao

Cheddar Kung Pao Member

He's been doing it less than 15 years, Fender started doing it in the 90s (I think?). Don't know about other small builders. But, yeah, not remotely one of the first. (Not to take anything away from his guitars.)

Gasp100 likes this.
  13. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

He is sure good at it. Fender ? Not so much.

metrokosmiko likes this.
  14. jm9239

jm9239 Supporting Member

@DANOCASTER thanks for so many years of building some of the best guitars on the planet!

Nope. That isn't the lifestyle he wants. And if it was about money, and it wasn't, he could have just raised prices.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    jasnc and Jon C like this.
  15. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I did the "LOL" thing... it was a joke. :aok

Da Geezer likes this.
  16. StealthHunter

StealthHunter Member

I wish he would go to the Fender Custom Shop, and teach them how to properly relic a guitar.

17. Shnook

Shnook Member

Sorry to see Dan leaving the business but at the end of the day it’s about following your bliss. If Dan is burned out, and who wouldn’t be after all of these years pelting out such fine tuned guitars, he should step away. Life is about more than slaving away so folks can get on forums bragging that they own this or that, which is what Danocaster’s have seem to become. I understand it. I owned 3. However, I no longer have any of them and have no regrets. There are millions of fantastic guitars out there that cost much less. Best wishes to Dan. May he get some rest and enjoy life.

DanR likes this.
  18. Jimmy R

Jimmy R Member

19. river_jetties

river_jetties Member

cool guitars - just out of curiosity - was he always running it as a one-person show? I could definitely see the burnout factor happening and can understand him not wanting to scale the business by bringing in employees. But a bit surprised he didn't try it - it seems like people are willing to pay for what he's offering. It sounds a bit more like a health / burnout issue.

I get the frustration about people who've been waiting but really? It seems like the 'risk' you take.

He had a great run!

20. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.