dare I put current production 6V6's in my Victoria?

es137p

Silver Supporting Member
I have an Ivy League, with a reconed Jensen P12P and Sylvania 6V6's. I would love to put a 5V4 rectifier in the amp, but my tech said stick with the 5Y3, or I'll fry my 6V6's. Which leads me to, dare I put current production, rugged 6V6's like JJ's or TAD in the amp?
The amp overdrives fairly easily with the old ES335, Especially in the 2nd and 3rd sets, when the tubes heat up.
What say you good people.......and Happy Holidays

Boomstick

The current production 6V6's are really awful. If you're going to try current production tubes, I would probably try the Genelex reissues although I might consider TADs or EH's as well. But tubedepot.com is selling Telefunken 6V6s for under $40, so current production tubes can wait imo.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot JJ got a hold of the Telefunken name, these are just overpriced current stock.

Last edited:

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
The current production 6V6's are really awful. If you're going to try current production tubes, I would probably try the Genelex reissues although I might consider TADs or EH's as well. But tubedepot.com is selling Telefunken 6V6s for under $40, so current production tubes can wait imo.
Aren't the Telefunkens there current production too, the wording suggest so?

zenas

What sort of voltage does it run at ? Probably lower than most of the old Deluxe Reverbs and Princetons ran I'm guessing.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
I'm sure the JJ 6V6 would be fine using a 5V4. It can handle higher voltages than other current production 6V6's like the Tung Sol and the EH.

Victoria really should include a bias pot in the Ivy League so you could make adjustments for different tubes and voltages.

Defendant

Been using jj6v6s in my double deluxe for years. No problems. Not yor grandads 6v6 but rugged and my amp sounds great.

dmentzer

Silver Supporting Member
I'm sure the JJ 6V6 would be fine using a 5V4. It can handle higher voltages than other current production 6V6's like the Tung Sol and the EH.

Victoria really should include a bias pot in the Ivy League so you could make adjustments for different tubes and voltages.
I bought a new Ivy League about 5 years ago and it came with a Chinese 5V4 and also had a bias pot.

H. Mac

In case anyone missed it, the OP said he's using a 5V4 rectifier which puts out higher voltage than the stock 5Y3. I wouldn't recommend changing anything until I knew what the plate voltage and 6V6 idle current was.
I'd take Blue Strat's advice, especially since the OP said that his tech had recommended sticking with the 5Y3. And I'd take NOS 6V6s over new production any day, especially in a tweed circuit.

Barnzy

Silver Supporting Member
It wouldn't hurt to call Mark or his tech team at Victoria. They will set you straight about the 5V4/ 5Y3 question for your particular amp. What does the tube sticker on the Ivy League cabinet say? My 5112 has both rectifiers listed for my amp. Anyway, I love JJ's for a unique tone but the NOS stuff seems to shine in my tweed.

Trending Topics