1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dario Chiazzolino, amazing technique ATTYA

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Clifford-D, Dec 31, 2017.

1. DrSax

DrSax Member

Awesome post.

2. kimock

kimock Member

Yeah, I’m just saying it’s not an arrogant position with respect to how emotion in music is normally regarded. You’re probably smack-dab in the middle of the bell curve on this one.

3. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Wow, I thought Dario's performance was brilliant intellectually, technically and musically.

I very much enjoyed it and didn't find it robotic at all. I'm not sure I've seen anyone so fluid before.

Probably, but man he transitions from lines to chords so incredibly smoothly.

guitarjazz and ned7flat5 like this.
  4. StevenA

StevenA Member

Yes, certainly these fine musicians are under no obligation to entertain anyone, although that would seem counterproductive on the pro level. Maybe they have robust teaching schedules?

Sascha Franck likes this.
  5. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I love player pianos too; never a barrier to moving me. I find that with a lot of video clips, though, I'm clouded by the visual feat. I get a better read on my emotional response when it's not supplemented by my amazement.

Tag likes this.
  6. vintagelove

vintagelove Member

Have you considered you just can't "hear it"?

I'd have to imagine they're having fun, and tapping their feet. Perhaps the smile is replaced by painful jazz face, but...

My point is, good art doesn't "need" to appeal to everyone. Hell, in Bach's time he was criticized for making things too complicated. Yet today, his music is studied by damn near every music student, on every instrument, in every major institution in the western world.

How many people don't get Holdsworth? Tons

How much does it matter to his legacy and art, zero.

ivers and DrSax like this.
  7. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

It's not the worst music, it just seems a pale imitation of the real thing. If he wasn't playing standards and jazz tunes I would let it alone, but there is a baseline to compare it to and it seems short of the mark. I got Holdsworth the first time I heard it and every time after it has been a marvelous ride through amazing unique music. I like complex, I'm a fan of Elliott Carter and Ligeti.

8. vintagelove

vintagelove Member

Well, if Holdsworth is the mark, then only about 5 guys in the world don't fall short.

Yamashita (the greatest player ever)
    Shawn Lane
    Benson
    Joe Pass
    ?

9. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

Jazz is the mark and though guitarists have some difficulty with that much harmony( I know I do) we have heard all that through pianists and they do can do even more. For a guitar player with an amazing range of harmonic complexity I nominate Pasquale Grasso, doesn’t just design amazing patterns but can fully improv on the music in that kinda style.

10. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

11. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

See, that's precisely why arguing about taste makes little sense. I find everything I ever heard from Shawn Lane ultimatively horrible.

12. RLD

RLD Member

There is something weird about that vid in there are a bunch of edits and different camera angles which makes me think it may not be a "live" performance.
    Incredible technique for sure.

guitarjazz and cubistguitar like this.
  13. Strat

Strat Member

Didn't dig it. Nice technique though.

14. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Fantastic player, but so far removed from what I personally like taste and feel wise, its really hard to listen to. I hear no emotion at all, but again, thats just what I personally like. Hes playing great obviously. I need blues in there.
    :)

Sascha Franck likes this.
  15. Tag

Here is monster chops with taste, and emotional content. Night and friggin day.

16. Tag

Does this give anyone chills or put a big smile on someones face?? Lets see a show of hands.

Now how about looking at it with a blank expression and saying, yea that guys really good.

I am in the second camp. Not a line I would really care to learn. It sounds like an advanced intermediate player with a bunch of memorized lines strung together note for note. Just my opinion based on the way I hear it and THINK most others would.

17. Buduranus2

Buduranus2 Member

Tag likes this.
  18. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Subliminal messages...'eat more popcorn'!

19. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Another nice arrangement.

cubistguitar likes this.