• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Darius Rucker goes country

A quick review of the new-ish Darius (Hootie) Rucker CD, 'Learn to Live'. Just got this a couple days ago and have spun it several times.

It is produced by Frank Rogers, who is Brad Paisley's producer and frequent co-writer. So the production on Learn to Live is very slick, very tight. Sounds really good, although it sounds like Darius' voice is electronically doubled (?) in some places, which is a little odd.

The songs sound very typical of the Hootie and the Blowfish style, and really the Brad Paisley style also: sappy and corny. I like sappy and corny, since that is part of what country music is to me!

The whole album is so well-recorded and played. Top Nashville players: Brad does guest on a couple tracks, Brent Mason is all over the album, and a guy named JT Corenflos seems to be on a lot of tracks. Really good guitar playing all over the album.

Overall a pretty good album, since the playing and singing are top notch. Maybe not for hardcore country fans, but definitely rootsy and fun. :phones

Anyone else listening to this?

Madison

He's a very convincing 'country singer', sounds kind of like Toby. I'm glad he's back on track once again, albeit a new one.

Mark Ray

The RockTrain
Platinum Supporting Member
I have always liked hearing Darius sing.The 2 songs I've heard from this release, I like very much, even though I am a 99% "classic rock guy."

Mark

flyingvees

Gold Supporting Member
JT Corenflos is a bad mother...You know I am not a big fan of his but its better than most of the Taylor Swift and clones coming out of Nashville right now..

Glide

I think Darius should be singing country, but just not "clean", Grand Ole Opry type country. Think more along the lines of Hank Junior, George Jones...

He gives David Allen Coe a run for his money doing Steve Goodman's "You Never Even Called Me by my Name". I saw Hootie and the BF do that live here in Atlanta at Chastain park. Freaking off-the-hook good.

mwc2112

Gold Supporting Member
Wow, that's some serious talent he has playing with him (and producing him too). I might have to give this one a listen. Thanks for the heads up! :drink

Telecaster62

Darius has always had a country side. Back in the late 80's when he and the Hootie boys were singing at local bars every weekend they often did hardcore old country tunes. They also had a predisposition to Dylan tunes. Darius is really one of the most diversely influenced performers I've ever met. He's a good guy to boot.

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
He scored a number one with Don't Think I Don't Think About It a little while back.

Kind of funny how he tried the R&B thing and that didn't work, so he decided to go country.

Like Bob McDill wrote:

He's gone country
Back to his roots
He's gone country
New pair of boots

Trending Topics