Dark-ish 6V6 amps, w/ MV

Rococco

So I sold my old SF Twin a while ago and planning to sell my '69 Super Reverb as well. It's just heavy and unpractical. Lately I've been gigging a lot with my small Ampeg GVT15 combo with CRex speaker in it for a few years, and I love that thing to pieces. HUGE amount of clean headroom, yet I can control the gain and kick it with my klone to get hair. Something about the EQ that I really love. It has more body than my Deluxe Reverb and fender amps in general and cuts through really well.

I need some suggestions for good 6V6 amps with master volume (1x12 combo or head) preferably somewhere between 20 to 40watts, something with warmer/a bit darker sounding and has a good mid range and bottom end and good amount of clean headroom when needed to keep up with loud bands. Compactness is a huge plus. I'm playing with single coils exclusively. Used, new, boutique or not.. under $2000, but I'm flexible.

Thanks

Last edited:

rickc007

Gold Supporting Member
Man, if you didn't say 20 to 40 watts, would have said Carr Skylark

Has a great Mid Control that warms it up, great prescense control to tune the high end. Master ....

Rococco

Man, if you didn't say 20 to 40 watts, would have said Carr Skylark

Has a great Mid Control that warms it up, great prescense control to tune the high end. Master ....

Yup, I need something a bit above my current 15watter. Otherwise, Carr amps are amazing!

calfzilla

Cynical Hack
Dr. Z The Cure might fight the bill? Or the Therapy? THD Bi-Valve has a great EQ section, but that's more of a pedal platform amp...

I guess I should say the low input is pedal platform. The high input is all crunch. You can't a/b between them though.

MHG

The first thing that came to mind was the the Carr Sportsman, but also not the wattage you're looking for.

Ilduce

And now for something completely different!
So I sold my old SF Twin a while ago and planning to sell my '69 Super Reverb as well. It's just heavy and unpractical. Lately I've been gigging a lot with my small Ampeg GVT15 combo with CRex speaker in it for a few years, and I love that thing to pieces. HUGE amount of clean headroom, yet I can control the gain and kick it with my klone to get hair. Something about the EQ that I really love. It has more body than my Deluxe Reverb and fender amps in general and cuts through really well.

I need some suggestions for good 6V6 amps with master volume (1x12 combo or head) preferably somewhere between 20 to 40watts, something with warmer/a bit darker sounding and has a good mid range and bottom end and good amount of clean headroom when needed to keep up with loud bands. Compactness is a huge plus. I'm playing with single coils exclusively. Used, new, boutique or not.. under $2000, but I'm flexible.

Thanks

It's funny because when I saw the title of this thread the first amp that popped into my mind was the Ampeg GVT-15! Go figure! Lol

jnovac1

Silver Supporting Member

Thanks
reamp it?

M

member 124523

From your OP it sounds like you are really happy with your Ampeg. Does it not have enough clean headroom?

Rococco

From your OP it sounds like you are really happy with your Ampeg. Does it not have enough clean headroom?

I am really happy with the Ampeg. Just wanted to invest on something exciting since I'll be selling the amp and few other stuffs. Thought another 6V6 with more power and preferences would be lovely. I've moved on from Fender amps and want to get something else. I've also owned Swart SST30 in the past, that was REALLY amazing. If I hit dead end, I might revisit that one again.

Rococco

M

member 124523

Orange Rockerverb 50? I don't have much experience with Orange amps but they are suppose to be dark. There aren't many 4 X 6V6 amps, which would get you into the 20-40 watt arena. You might consider looking into amps that run 2 X 6L6 configuration.

fradubio

The Budda V20 is actually quite nice. It's a great pedal platform, and the 2nd channel can get nice an mean if you can open it up a bit.

Ilduce

And now for something completely different!
Another option though I don't think that it's 6V6's might be the new Orange Rocker 32. Don't know why I'm suggesting it, but it popped into my head for some reason! Lol

Heinz W

Genuine '66 Relic
Platinum Supporting Member
I am really happy with the Ampeg. Just wanted to invest on something exciting since I'll be selling the amp and few other stuffs. Thought another 6V6 with more power and preferences would be lovely. I've moved on from Fender amps and want to get something else. I've also owned Swart SST30 in the past, that was REALLY amazing. If I hit dead end, I might revisit that one again.

Ha, I was going to recommend the SST-30 then saw this post. Get another! I love mine, had it almost 10 years (!) and it still makes me grin every time I fire it up. Good luck in your search.

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
Swart AST master. Replaced my Skylark and there's no looking back. Bigger, bolder, not much heavier. Reverb and tremolo....

http://swartamps.com/amplifiers_AST_master.htm

The master is more like an attenuator. Set the volume and then use the master to bring it up. When you hit 11 it's equal to what the volume would be if it were bypassed.

OR

Since the master has its own tube/gain stage, you can crank that up and then roll in the "regular" volume for a whole new palette of tones and feel. If you don't want any extra gain (it isn't much) you can use a 12at7 to lessen it. I find that extra little bite to be an awesome addition, especially at lower volumes.

OR

Mix and match the volumes for an endless amount of awesome shizzzz.

OR

Bypass the master and hit the races with that Swart goodness.

Mmmmmmmm

View media item 51648

Last edited:

fiveightandten

Silver Supporting Member
Hi-Tone HT30 is a Hiwatt with a 4 x 6V6 power section. There are a few versions. The EQ is very powerful and does everything from dark, stout and mirangey, to bright bell like cleans. Crazy headroom, half power switch. But they're very clean and don't have a lot of gain.

Here's the 1x12 combo
https://hi-tone-amps.com/product/hi-tone-ht3015-1x12-combo-amp/

products-combos-SA112DG30.jpg

Trending Topics

Top Bottom