Dark side of the moon - never heard it!?

Kooshball

so me and the band were trying to come up with a little pink floyd medley to tackle.

we were jamming on breathe
which turns out the bass player/guitar player has never even heard it.

WHAT??
how can you not know breathe. The funniest part was the bass player wore a DSOTM shirt to our first show..turns out that was a gift.
I consider that album a masterpiece and can't fathom a musician not being familiar with it. I guess the same could be said for a lot of albums though.

So many great albums, so little time. That's why I think the ipod is so great. I can be listening to ANYTHING at any time.

GASattack

DSOTM is right up there with Led Zeppelin 4, IMO, a masterpiece.
Yeah, this is what i consider sacred ground ... you cant cover these and screw them up, lest ye be hanged by naked by ye toes with ye legs spread, so's ye ball sak can get good n sunburned.

kevin

Lance

Yeah, this is what i consider sacred ground ... you cant cover these and screw them up, lest ye be hanged by naked by ye toes with ye legs spread, so's ye ball sak can get good n sunburned.

kevin
A fitting punishment for posers who commit Floyd heresy. :Devil

Kooshball

kevin
i know the chords, playing around with the slide part using a lighter last night..i think i can get it, but like i said..the other guys had no idea what we were playing lol

GASattack

Hey Kooshball,
I wasnt trying to bash you at all, or discourage you from covering it.

I played in a 14 piece horn coverband that played late 60's and up, alot of the music we did was recorded either before I was born, or I was still pooing greenish runny stuff in a diaper, and Id never heard of alot of it before. And we did them justice.

I was just saying that I have this 'sacred list' of songs/bands that are SO iconic, if you get too far away from the originality of the song, or do a butcher self arrangement of it, the crowd likely will try to lynch you before you can get your gear loaded up and out the door.

Now, on the flip side of saying that, I saw a band in Richmond VA, thats called Jackass Flats .. they do ALOT of cover songs from the rock arena, but do them as bluegrass songs ... incredible arrangements, incredible musicians ... very enjoyable!

The main thing, is do your best and have a great time ... :D

kevin

heavysoul

DSOTM would be considered a great album if it came out today.

the second Breathe comes on, i'm instantly put in a serene state—no other song can do this...

JPF

Your bass player's lucky - I've give my left nut to feel that magic all over again from listening to DSotM for the first time. Still, you ought to make him learn the whole album note for note as penance...

Still, I'd make him learn the entire album note-for-note as penance for his misspent youth.

Wow, covering that?!? Bold! I was just having a discussion with a drummer friend of mine who said some fellas he plays with wanted to "jam on some Pink Floyd". We both agreed, it isn't done, any more than one would "jam on some Beethoven". One learns, rehearses, and performs some Pink Floyd, and it had better be done well, as the quality of the material demands it. Good luck.

tnvol

Ufologist
I don't see how you can like rock music and not have heard Dark Side Of The Moon. Stranger things have happened I guess.

rogwerks

"Still, I'd make him learn the entire album note-for-note as penance for his misspent youth." JPF...

Wat a great line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

winstabull

DSOTM would be considered a great album if it came out today.

the second Breathe comes on, i'm instantly put in a serene state—no other song can do this...
That guitar tone is probably my favorite from any recorded album. It's awesomeness has been imprinted on my brain since I first heard it in my dad's car when I was like 8. A true WTF is that moment.

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
Put me down under "Never Heard It". Heard songs off it? Sure. But never the whole thing. Strangely enough, I don't feel culturally impoverished. :D

-Austin

snarkle

Silver Supporting Member
I was an early and avid Floyd fan, but DSOTM was kind of the end of the road for me, and I just couldn't get into The Wall at all.

So last year my band was hosting a jam session and ended up doing the "Hey, teacher, leave those kids alone" bit from that album with someone who came up, and I was probably the only person in the room who didn't know the tune. Made my take on what I gather is a fairly iconic guitar solo a bit of an adventure for everyone.

I'll add that that tune gains a lot of resonance when it's a First Nations guy singing it...Ontario singer-guitarist Jason Burnstick, in this instance.

Scott Miller

Never got into Pink Floyd, even back in the day. Actually, not many people I knew did. I think it was a sub-generation thing, like, folks about five years younger than me were really into it.

Trending Topics