Darkburst vs. Crossroads Neck

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jamison162, Jan 23, 2008.

1. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Which do you prefer and why. Will be mathched up with a Darkburst or Goodwood Bridge (I have one of each).

I know a lot of folks go DB/GW; but there's also the American Steele set consisting of the CR/GW combination.

Help me out here.....

2. mignano

mignano Member

What kind of guitar?

I've tried both sets in my Les Pauls, and I would prefer a Crossroads in the neck. Both sound good, but I found the Darkburst could get a bit muddy in a Les Paul neck position. The Crossroads is a bit brighter, rounder, sweeter. this will really depend heavily on the guitar.

My favorite combination in both of my Les Pauls is a covered Betts in the neck with an uncovered Darkburst bridge... thats perfect for me

3. English Jim

English Jim Member

I have a Darkburst in the neck of my Oxblood. Don't like it - too muddy. Sounded great in my SG but just doesn't cut it in the Les Paul. The Crossroads sounds OK in the bridge but a little harsh/bright. I'll be switching them both out when I get round to it - I have a pair of Frailins ready to go. The WCR's will go back into the SG.

4. gizmo

gizmo Member

I agree with CWY. I had Darkbursts in my LP for quite a while. Loved the DB in the bridge position but I could not dial out the boominess in the neck. With my amps dialed in for either pickup, I found that had to re-adjust again for the other. However, when I put a CR in the neck, all of that was solved. It's easy to dial in the bridge to taste but now I can flip to neck with no problem. Great combination to my ears.

By the way, the guitar is a 2001 LP standard with the RS premium upgrade and lightweight TP. Amps are vintage fenders and a marshall. ymmv.

5. IndieHead

IndieHead Member

Will an RS kit open the sound up? I heard someone share his experience, and installing hovland caps help to clean out the mud.

Will covers make a big difference?

6. BrownDog

BrownDog Member

In my Beano burst, I have a Crossroads neck and Darkburst bridge - perfect combo IMO. The neck is sweet/clear/articulate and the bridge is very similar BUT with a little extra muscle/kick.

For myself alone and with tone and oneness, Mike

7. gizmo

gizmo Member

Yes the RS kit will open it up. Worked wonders on mine and if you do a search, you'll get more hits than you can read in a day praising it.

8. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I've put an EB kit in many a guitar!

9. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I have an LP with a GW+ bridge/DarkBurst neck with Bees.The DB neck may be one of the best pickups i own(unless you take the BetSet into account-it depends on the day).The tone is incredible with lighter od and sounds 'flutey',which was impossible to get from any other pickup.

10. IndieHead

IndieHead Member

hey gizmo....

the rs kit didnt manage to clear out the mud in ur darkburst neck?

11. IndieHead

IndieHead Member

bleedingedge..... is urs with covers?

12. gizmo

gizmo Member

It wasn't so much mud that I was trying to dial out. The neck DB just seemed to be an output/volume mismatch with the bridge in MY guitar. I even lowered the pickup almost under the ring and it still seemed to overpower the sound. Don't get me wrong, the overall tone was clearly great on its own. It had that fantastic liquidy-smooth woman tone that I love. It just didn't match well with my particular DB bridge/guitar combo. Now If I would have had a hotter bridge it probably would have been a great match.

The CR cured the mismatch problem but still provides creamy smooth tone.

13. davess23

davess23 Member

I ain't got no stinkin' mud in my DB neck. '05 R8, wonderful round tones, very responsive to the amp's controls.

14. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

The DB/CR combo sounds great in my LP standard (it's chambered). I should install the RS kit, just haven't gotten around to that yet. The GW/DB combos I've tried in LP's get a bit dark for my taste, but sound killer in my PRS Cu22. It does depend a lot on the guitar, definitely.

So, at this point, I prefer a Crossroads neck in Les Pauls.

15. amc

amc Member

I have a Darkburst/Fillmore set with an RS kit in a '99 McCarty that has a Brazilian Rosewood neck.
    The Darkburst neck has a sweet, flutey sound and splits well
    The Fillmore bridge has a more cutting sound and also splits well.

They work well together in the middle position as well.

Obviously, this is IMHO, YMMV...

16. English Jim

English Jim Member

Chain =
    Gtr > Mogami > /13 FRT37

I have 4 other LP's with different PU's to A/b (c/d) it with. The DB just doesn't cut it in a live situation with a full band. Sounds good in the studio at home but on stage just doesn't work for me. YMMV (obviously)

17. vdoochild7

vdoochild7 Silver Supporting Member

AMC--I was thinking of the same combo in my McCarty as well. How do this combo compare to the stocks? I'm pretty set on the Darkburst neck, but I'm torn between the Darkburst Bridge and the Fillmore Bridge. I kind of like the stock pickups, but I"m looking for more clarity, less mud,and a more balanced tone.

18. Loni Specter

Loni Specter Member

I had a darkburst in my LP neck and had to pull it because it was too hot and overpowered the DB bridge. Put a crossroads in the neck and all is well. :dude

19. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

I own both and both are FANTASTIC. Very good, and nice. The darkburst is phatter and sounds great on the cleans.

The Cross roads is more innocent, but phat as well.

20. tybone

tybone Member

Crossroads neck please.

I am with Loni on this one. For me, it is a difference in feel an output between the crossroads and the DB's. I found that I had to really lower the pickup and raise the pole pieces to get the feel I wanted and the output that matched the birdge.

I also find that the clarity of the crossroads pickup still comes through when I play with overdrive. They are quite sweet in the neck that way.

Cheers
    Larry