Darkbursts in PRS CU 24 - What's wrong?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by KennethC, Jan 24, 2008.

1. KennethC

KennethC Member

Guys,

I just got a pair of Darkbursts off of a TGP-er...

they come with 2 conductor leads each, while the stock CU 24 pups come with 3 each. I'm having issues getting any of the other sounds besides bridge and neck with the rotary switch on the CU24. I clearly asked the seller if this set of DB's would work well with the CU24, and the reply was yes, so I'm inclined to believe I'm missing something here.

Anyone has experience with DB's in a CU24 rotary switch?

Or is there a newer version of DB's with 3 conductors? The website doesn't seem to suggest so.

Would appreciate any help at all, thanks guys.

2. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    You're missing the third lead which allows tapping the coils of the Darkbursts (if I'm understanding your post).
    Even if you had proper leads for the pickups, you'd still need to do some minor surgery on one of the pickups.
    PRS pickups made for use with the 5-way switch have their magnets flipped - one pickup's magnet is out of phase with the other pickup's magnet.
    Do a search for 'Jim Collins' and 'magnet flip' - he's posted a ton of times on this subject.

3. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

You need to flip a magnet, like Taller said. The seller probably didn't know about this.

Oh, and to tap them and use the stock 5 way for the in between sounds, you needed 4 conductor, not 2. You either need to mod the pickups (magnet and leads) or change the wiring in the guitar to a 3-way and replace the rotary with a toggle.

4. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Agreed. PRS is the only pup I know of with three leads. I don't know why they don't go to four like everyone else.

You need 4 conductor pups to tap the pups. It would take pup surgery to fix the issue.

5. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Kenneth, how much for the Darkbursts? :)

6. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

7. KennethC

KennethC Member

Thanks guys...

Spoke to Jim, and he advised that I get a set with 4-conductor leads as well.

I'm kinda bothered, cos the seller did tell me it would work with my CU 24.

Phil..hehe I'll let u know when I sell 'em ;)