Darken a Urethane finished Telecaster neck?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by shizzaq, Feb 20, 2009.

1. shizzaq

shizzaq Supporting Member

I just got a Fender Highway One Texas Telecaster which has a urethane finished neck. Is there any way to darken the neck up and make it look a little more yellowish brown without refinishing the neck? I guess I am asking is there anyway to stain the urethane finish? I think if its possible to darken white plastic parts like knobs and pickguards maybe it is possible to stain urethane finished necks.

2. shizzaq

I read something about using tea water or something. Has anyone heard anything like that before?

3. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

The only idea I can come up with would be using a tinting toner to add more finish over the urethane...
    it wouldn't necessarily have to be re-finishing, but it would definitely be finishing (painting).

Here's some info if you're interested in looking into it: http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Tinting_Toner_Tips.html

Quite involved--I wouldn't try it myself and I actually have a little experience using the technique. Sorry I don't know of anything more helpful! :eek:

4. jrm

jrm Member

I'd head over to the reranch forum and see what they have to add! Lots o' knowledgeable folks over there too!

5. straightblues

straightblues Member

You can use the Kiwi Shoe Polish. The past kind in a small tin. It will stick on there pretty good. It will wear over time but it gives it that broken in look. Be careful that you don't build up too much around the frets. Go easy and slow.

6. bgood

bgood Member

Put it in the sun - seriously. I will darken - not significantly but it will be noticable. did it with my G&L. Over several "sessions" of 2-4 hours it started to darken. First along grain lines then between.

7. shizzaq

I will definitely try the sun tan method. As far as the Kiwi method should I use a specific color of polish? I will post some before and after shots on my site for those interested to check it out.

8. bgood

bgood Member

If you put it outside, just don't forget it's out there. I left my #1 out on the deck all night one time. Thank god it didn't rain.

9. straightblues

straightblues Member

Yeah the brown one. Do a little bit at a time and don't leave it on to long. Put it on and then polish it off a minute or so later. Do small areas at a time.

10. realityczech

realityczech Senior Member

Personally I'd let nature take its course and leave the guitar out of its case as much as possible.
    Otherwise you could steel wool the poly and use aniline dye to darken the board. Risky for the rookie.

Leave it alone and play the heck out of it!