Darker voiced VOX inspired amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SKYHIGH, Jan 23, 2012.

1. SKYHIGH

SKYHIGH Member

What Voxy or Vox insipred amps are out there that's voiced "reletively" dark?

To me, Morgan AC20 Deluxe is voice "reletively" Dark.

I have tried Hayseed and Xits and they both seem very nice in it's own right. I played Morgan AC20 Deluxe and it's voice is darker in a good way too.

As differnt it may sound, Swart AST (I know it's 6v6) to me is another darker amp that sounds fabulous.

So how about it, what other Voxy (EL84) amps out there that's voiced slightly darker than your typical vox amp?

2. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

The JMIs I have heard seemed just a smidge darker than the typical Vox offering. But maybe the rest are too bright, they would know the specs on a real 60s Vox I would hope.

3. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

Ghia was too dark for me, reminded me a lot of a Vox amp

4. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

If you are on a budget, The Vox 18 watt C1 sounds darker with the bright caps clipped

5. mAx___

mAx___ Member

The Normal channel on my AC30HW2 is a bit on the dark side after I modded it to '62 JMI specs. Just how I wanted it.

6. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

I think the above post deserves a big thumbs up, and for this reason:
    Vox normal channels are supposed to be dark.

7. littlejohn

littlejohn Member

8. TimH

TimH Member

Morgan was my first thought. Just get one of those unless funds are an issue. If so, the AC30h2 with ef86 normal channel is really fat and a bit darker than usual if you want it to be...

9. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I've considered myself a Vox fan since I was about 10 years old. Having said that, I'm a bigger fan of the 'Normal' channel than the Top Boost channel. I hate to use words like, 'organic', 'barky', 'chewy' and 'meaty' but those are the tones I like out of Vox amps more so than the brighter, gainier tones.

I also really like the EF86 channels on the three or four or so equipped Vox amps I've owned or played. I sold my AC15H1TV last year and will get a Morgan AC20 Deluxe head this year. I really liked the Normal channel on my CC and the EF86 channel on the H1TV so getting both of those in the same amp at the expense of no Top Boost is a no-brainer for me.

Couple additional thoughts: As revered as the Celestion Blue is, in my experience, it needs to be driven relatively hard to come to full bloom. At that point, it sounds pretty spectacular, but that's a pretty loud point. I have or have had three Weber Blue Dogs. They certainly aren't exact clones, but I absolutely feel that for many non-Top Boost fans, it might be a better speaker than the Celestion if only because it sounds fuller and as if it has more body at a wider range of volume levels.

My current primary amp is a Carmen Ghia 2x10. I've said that to my ears, it sounds like about 25% Vox, 25% 18W Marshall and 50% its own thing. I mostly play strats and have one with Duncan SSL2s. On the bridge+middle and bridge+neck positions, I can get almost a Vox-like tone going with the Ghia. It does sound darker than the average Vox to my years but when I plug into most Voxes, I wish for a bit more darkness. I wouldn't suggest a Carmen Ghia specifically to get a 'darker Vox' type tone, but if one wanted an amp that sounded like it had some Vox Normal DNA mixed with some 18W Marshall DNA, I think a guy could do a lot worse.

Mine still has the two Dr Z 10" speakers. I think I'll order a Weber Blue Pup at some point this year to see if it dials in a bit more chime. I'm just afraid it will lose a bit of the body the two Dr Z speakers offer. I play the amp through a 2x12 with a G12H30 and a 50W ceramic Blue Dog from time to time and really like that combination.

That's all I got. Be sure to report back what you get and how you like it.

10. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

The 65 Amps London is supposidly Vox inspired on one channel, but I found it to be much darker voiced than any Vox I've owned/played.

11. jota

jota Member

Yeah, I have the London pro and sometimes I wish it would be brighter.

12. memoryman81

memoryman81 Member

Darker voiced "vox" = 65 Amps London (perhaps the London Pro as well...though I have no experience with the Pro model). Fireball nailed it. The nice thing about the London is it also has the trem channel with a 12ax7 preamp section which works great for me if I'm wanting a more open/less dark sound.

13. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

How about the newer Bruno Vox amps with 6v6 tubes?

14. tonesurf

tonesurf Senior Member

yes, easy question to answer:

65 amps London Pro

and most of the other 65 amps which primarily are based on Vox designs

and Matchless amps which tend to be based on AC30 designs

these all have a warmer/darker Vox tone

15. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

16. honeyiscool

honeyiscool Member

I think most of the Vox-based clones are far brighter than actual Voxes.

17. Steve73

Steve73 Member

To the OP, did the Hayseed you try have the EF86 channel? That is the darkest AC30 tone I've used. Very early '70's Ritchie Blackmore....

18. mmcm4

mmcm4 Member

I think the normal channel (or one with the bright cap clipped) is plenty dark.

19. geng

geng Member

What about Orange, is it darker sounding Vox style amp?

20. KrisHayes

KrisHayes Member

Definitely worth checking out an AD30!