Darkglass B3K V2 vs Way Huge Pork and Pickle

6AM

I'm looking to try a bass OD/Distortion type pedal and I was wondering if anyone has tried both of these and could give me an opinion on them? I'd be using it on vintage Fender Dual Showman tube amp.

Floyd Eye

Pickle Pie B is good. Has a blend knob which you definitely need. The Darkglass is completely bad ass and if you can get one reasonably priced ( which you probably can since everyone is after the 7 these days) I would definitely go that route. No experience with the Way Huge, but I doubt it's in the same league as the Darkglass.

6AM

Pickle Pie B is good. Has a blend knob which you definitely need. The Darkglass is completely bad ass and if you can get one reasonably priced ( which you probably can since everyone is after the 7 these days) I would definitely go that route. No experience with the Way Huge, but I doubt it's in the same league as the Darkglass.
I've been trying to find the Darkglass for a reasonable rate, but most people are asking the same or similar price to what Sweetwater is selling them new for ($189), regardless if it's the original or the V2. I'll probably just order one of those from them.

Simto

Haven't tried the Pork and Pickle, but I really like Way Huge pedals. Sounds sick in the clips I've heard. One thing I really like a lot about Way Huge pedals are you have control over the stuff you want to have control of. Very well designed.

I have a B7K and it's insane. I haven't tried or heard any other bass pedals that come close to Darkglass stuff. They're generally speaking a bit more modern voiced, but the B3k and B7k are both very versatile.
(Also have a Super Symmetry. Those two pedals are my entire bass rig hehe)

I bought both my Darkglass pedals in America (Reverb and ebay) and they were both $77 cheaper than if I were to buy them here in Denmark (Really weird since they're built right around the corner from here....) so I'm sure you can find some Darkglass pedals for a decent price there :)

Both pedals have a different voicing to them, so I'd say if you're generally more into modern tones, then you can get further with the B3K, but if you're into more juicy old school'ish tones (and access to fuzz), then the Way Huge is the way to go.
Can't recommend Darkglass enough though. Their stuff sounds insanely good! And they get really juicy too. I love juicy tones. I'm rambling now.

6AM

I got the B3K today and I'm not loving it at all. It really neuters the tone for me. The gain sounds are kind of hollow sounding. It sort of sounds good when slapping, but that's not really my style of playing. I think I'm sending it back.

olejason

What kind of tone are you going for and what style of music? A B3k into a Dual Showman is kind of a weird combo, I could definitely see that giving a disappointing result.

sprag

I've had a b7k which didn't do it for me either. I love my way huge swollen pickle but that's a fuzz. For OD I replaced the darkglass with a bearfoot uber bee and didn't look back. Check out the pork loin as well as it's the OD section from the pork n pickle and plenty of bass players swear by them.

keto

Pork Loin requires 1 capacitor be replaced, or it sounds very dark with bass. I did the mod on mine, and love it for light overdrive, with the caveat that it works best for me with passive basses. Actives seem to overwhelm it, and blast through the clipping, though you can still hear the pedal is on and the preamp portion works. But not much grind/clipping going on with actives, plenty with passives.

Jimmy_Rage

Try before you buy. The B3K isn't everybody's cup of tea. It's very aggressive.

I have a B3K and a VMT built into my Microtubes 900. Having them run into a good amp is where they excel.

I always found the sound DI'ed a bit too thin and buzzy when I sold my B7K, it was there, but I used to miss the cab. With the amp section of the Microtubes, you can dial in a much more balanced sound, blending in the B3K or VMT with a real amp action, rather than just blending in more of your DI bass tone.

In the studio, I run the DI out into the cab section of a Zoom B3n.

leftcoast

I think the Alpha Omega is absolute killer, especially with its bass and treble boost buttons. It makes my bass sound like an instant TV commercial, in a good way.
It makes the bass slice through the mix like a laser.

Trending Topics