Darn Fret Buzzzzzzzzzz!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by papersoul, Feb 14, 2009.

1. papersoul

papersoul Member

Hey guys,

My guitar had never given me problems...then all of a sudden this SG just started having this buzz around the middle of the neck on the G string. It is only the G string and mostly around the 7-10th frets...then again around the 14-15th fret. Frets need polishing maybe?

I had a fret dressing on this SG years ago but could I just do mu own polishing, is it easy?

I tried changing the relief and action but no luck.

Thanks for any advice.

2. muddyshoes

muddyshoes Member

look closer. bridge or nut can be the problem too

3. paul1122

paul1122 Member

I have had that problem too. How come most of the time it seems to be on the G?

4. papersoul

papersoul Member

Yea, what is up with the darn G string. I thought of bumping up the gauge but that is stupid. Why only on certain frets though! Only like 3 or 4 frets. I don't see how the bridge or nut could cause it on a few frets.

5. Sadhaka

Sadhaka Member

how old is the guitar? Is the bridge collapsing? Try checking it with a radius gauge...

Have you tried using a fret rocker or something - a straight edge that covers three frets at a time to see if one has lifted up....

6. papersoul

papersoul Member

Good points. NO, I haven't tried a straight edge but I will! The guitar is a 1989 SG and I did have the bridge replaced last year because the old one was collapsing and I didn't like that design. I didn't like wrapping the tailpiece on this Gibson so i go with standard stinging and it does put pressure on the bridge but how often would you have to rebend it? I have a way to bend em back to shape but I would think that the bridge would not collapse in less than a year. Interesting that could cause an issue though. I say that because the old bridge was really collapsed and I had no buzzing.

7. Sadhaka

Sadhaka Member

Well then, it doesn't sound like the bridge :) .

You mentioned a fret dress a few years back. I wonder... Do you play a lot in the keys of A, B and E? Especially in a Blues style?

The positions that you have the problem in reflect the positions of the 'standard' Blues scales in these keys. If you do a lot of bending on the third string, a must for some typical blues licks, then there is probably some wear on the 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th, 12th, 13th and 14th frets leaving the 10th and 11th, and everything above the 15th a little higher maybe...

I think that you can forget the nut for this kind of problem.

I don't think that fret polishing is the solution. I would think that maybe a fret file and dress can fix things up. Hard to say without seeing the instrument.

I would suggest that you let someone check it out if the fret polish doesn't work... Good luck mate!

8. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Do you live in a heating season area? If so it may just be your guitar(s) are dry and need humidity.

9. papersoul

papersoul Member

Yes, those positions do see a lot of play and bending. The fret dressing was most likely 6 years ago. The guy who does it, is a master....unreal job he does. I am thinking of having him look at it again. I can hear it amplified which bothers me now!

Yes, it can be VERY dry in our place as we have air heat....and it is odd this problem just cropt up recently.

10. Chuck King

Chuck King Member

If you play a lot you could certainly have worn the frets back down in 6 years. If that's the problem, you're looking at a fret leveling job---not cheap, but effective.

11. papersoul

papersoul Member

Thanks, I guess it just seemed weird it happened in aonly a few months. I bought the guitar from a friend about 6 months ago and this buzzing just started recently. Now I get it elsewhere. Maybe he will have to do another dressing.