dating a telecaster

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by tonywantstoplay, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Does anyone have a book that can help me verify a 1969 fender telecaster?
    I have an Idea that I have been sold a fake.
    thanks
    tony

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

'The Fender Telecaster - The Detailed Story Of America's Senior Solid Body Electric Guitar', by A.R. Duchossoir, published by Hal Leonard Publishing.

You should be able to pick up a copy fairly easily, it's not rare.

Unfortunately you may not be able to go by the serial number or even the pot codes since any halfway competent fake will have those things apparently correct - it's easy to source those sorts of parts from 'lesser' Fenders of the right period, eg Musicmasters.

Details of the wood shaping, production tooling marks and things like that are more accurate indicators, but experience is at least as important as bookwork in many cases - once you've seen a good number of real ones it's easier to spot the ones that aren't. Actually the 'lesser' Fenders are a good place to start too - they aren't valuable enough to be worth faking, so if you examine a few original examples you will learn a lot of useful detail since you can be sure that they are original.

3. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Why do you think it may be a fake? Can you post some photos of the headstock, the neck pocket, and end of the neck? I have a '69 tele and may be able to help you compare.

4. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

2 drinks and it'll let you have your way with it.:BEER

5. colinm

colinm Member

6. neve1073

neve1073 Member

Agreed. Those pictures should be enough.

7. Fishin'Musician

Fishin'Musician Silver Supporting Member

:p I dated a fat strat once but all my friends called me a chubby chaser.