Dating my Blonde Bassman

mountain blues

Gold Supporting Member
I have an Blonde Bassman that has me puzzled. It is brownface, with a model number of 6G6-B on the tube chart, a date stamp (NE) on the tube chart that says May of 1964, and the PT code is 125P5B 606149.

I thought Fender stopped making brownface Bassmans in '63... and the tube chart also calls for 6L6GC's instead of the 5881's that these amps were spec'ed for... it has the SS rectifier and the presence control.

Also, the serial number on the back of the chassis is BP00708, which is a 1961 serial number.

Any thoughts? I think I remember reading that '64 Blonde Bassmans with brownface cosmetics were somewhat rare?

Last edited:

mike shaw

I'm no expert but .... I believe the PT code dates to the 49th week of 1961.
I'd probably get the codes from the pots and OT and decipher the codes and see where the dates fall.
Maybe the amp was a 1962 that someone brought back to Fender for some repair and the techs updated the circuit and stuck on a 1964 tube chart?

mountain blues

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks guys - Mike, I just found the same thing online... adds to the mystery.

Ben serviced this amp when I first got it, and I could have sworn he told me this was a 6G6-A. I am going to get it back into him pretty soon, and then I am sure we will solve the riddle when he can re-confirm the circuit.

In the meantime, just curious if there are any Blonde Bassman aficionados that might recognize these kind of inconsistencies. Probably a transitional amp...

Adman103

Silver Supporting Member
Not sure about the codes, but Fender made blonde/brownface Bassmen up until the early summer of 64, and at that point they switched to a black cab and faceplate, with the same 6g6b circuit for only a few months. It's entirely possible your amp is a 64, if someone can lend some expertise with the tranny #'s... Great amps!

Dumb Bell

I had both a 62 and a 64, was the same amp except the 62 had the maroon grill, and the 64 had gold sparkle. Both were 6g6b's with presence control.

LSchefman

I thought it was going to be a thread describing how your dates are going with your blonde bass player.

mountain blues

Gold Supporting Member
If I had a blonde basswoman, I would still follow Gibb's Rule #12 from NCIS: don't date your team members.

mountain blues

Gold Supporting Member
Ha. If I'd taken that sensible advice, I would have missed out on a lot of fun (and even more trouble!). ;)

Trust me, it took me a *long* time to take my own advice. Don't ask me to calculate the cost.

How the heck are you Les? I hope life is treating you well.

beerijuana

I saw a strange 64 Bandmaster recently, blackface chassis, early-style blond cab, wheat grille, blackface logo, lots of parts that went back to '61.

Every once in a while, I think Leo would walk around the shop and find old parts, cabs, etc and tell 'em to, "use this stuff, dammit!". I don't think he wasted much.

mountain blues

Gold Supporting Member
I saw a strange 64 Bandmaster recently, blackface chassis, early-style blond cab, wheat grille, blackface logo, lots of parts that went back to '61.

Every once in a while, I think Leo would walk around the shop and find old parts, cabs, etc and tell 'em to, "use this stuff, dammit!". I don't think he wasted much.
Cool info - thanks.

Trending Topics