Dating my Phase 90

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by axm.88, May 21, 2015.

1. axm.88

axm.88 Member

Hey guys,

I've had a block MXR Phase 90 for a while now that I originally got as a gift for a friend. It has an Led (Red), and a DC in, but the inlet is a smaller size then usual, the size of an aux cable (like earbuds) (side note: My Big Muff 3.14 also has this if that helps). Does anyone know why this would be? Functions fine with my 4X4. Would this be a Dunlop reissue perhaps? Thanks to all.

2. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

Make sure to open doors and pull out the chair.

Godspeed64, icecycle66 and coltonius like this.
  3. axm.88

axm.88 Member

4. axm.88

axm.88 Member

Anyone else have any information? Doesn't look modded.

5. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Are the input and output jacks attached to the PCB or are there wires going from the jacks to the PCB? Is the shaft of the knob brass or nylon And is it soldered directly to the PCB?

Gut pics would help.

Does the bottom plate have MXR stamped in the corner? Either in script or block style.

6. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

I had an MXR dynacomp that had the led and that type of power plug. I got it to replace my early block logo one.
    So this was right after they stopped making the first block logo ones, early 80s.
    I liked the led and power adp, but did not like the way it sounded, so sold it. I still have the power adapter, though.
    It is 1/8 male.
    I don't know how long they kept that design. They did go out of business and were bought by dunlop. I don't know if the early dunlop ones had that power adp or the standard boss type everyone has now.
    The wiki puts this at 81 -85 -
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MXR

7. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

Yep. 81-85.
    I have one in a Micro Flanger that I loved until the SAD chip blew and now it's a #$&*ing doorstop.

Glad someone posted a Dad joke...

8. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

If it has a 1/8" adapter jack that is not secured to the case but rather accessed through a hole in the box (below the input jack), it is most likely the first generation of the Dunlop redesign (around 1990-91). These pedals have the jacks, pot and switch soldered to the circuit board directly - just like the current M-101, but the first year they used a 1/8" power jack instead of the 2.1mm barrel type jack used from 1991-92 onwards.

If the adapter jack is secured to the box with a nut (much like the input/output jacks), it can be either one of the latest MXR units or one of the early Dunlop reissues (before the above mentioned redesign).

9. TheoDog

^ I concur with this as I have that exact Phase 90 edition (PCB mounted Carling switch) FS in the emporium.

If it is pre-Dunlop, it would likely have MXR stamped in the corner of the baseplate, right?

10. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Yes, although the very first Dunlop reissues used leftover MXR parts, and could well have the MXR-stamped boxes. The pcb-mounted version is most definltely Dunlop, though, as it was introduced a few years after Dunlop took over.

11. axm.88

axm.88 Member

The jack is on the outside, on the side of the input jack.

12. axm.88

axm.88 Member

The story gets stranger: No MXR on PCB, but on the other side of the back plate, it says MXR Innovations, etc. But, below the serial number, there's another serial of sort with the last 4 numbers of 2004. However, there's no signage of Jim Dunlop anywhere. As well, the footswitch says Mexico on the inside.

13. axm.88

axm.88 Member

The server's not letting me upload images now, saying they're too big.

14. axm.88

axm.88 Member

15. axm.88

axm.88 Member

16. axm.88

axm.88 Member

17. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Odd one... the box saying "MXR innovations" is normal - they still do that (or at least both the M-101's I currently have around, both made in the '00s, do). The circuit board is clearly Dunlop, from the first iteration of the new-style (circuit board mounted switch/pot/jacks) design. Dunlop redesigned the circuit board to this style around 1990, and around 1992 they redesigned it again to use a barrel type DC jack instead of the 1/8" jack they initially used (as in this pedal). At the same time, they replaced the Carling switch (again, as found in this pedal) with the smaller footprint Alpha type they still use.

So, everything points towards a 1990-early 1992 M-101. But the inspection label clearly says '96... Either this is a one-off, slapped together from leftover circuit boards discovered in a corner of the workshop (not as unlikely as one might think), or my dates are off and they actually kept the 1/8" jack and Carling switch longer than I thought. I know the Crybaby wahs with the "new" layout (circuit board mounted jacks) and 1/8" power jack only lasted from 1990 to mid 1992. Judging by the few numbers of MXR's I've seen with the setup yours has, I've always assumed the changes to those pedals happened at the same time. But I could be wrong - it has happened before :D Either way, the label clearly says 1996, so that's what I'd go by.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
    axm.88 likes this.
  18. axm.88

axm.88 Member

Very weird, thanks a lot!

19. TheoDog

The plot thickens.
    Here's some pics of mine that I suspect to be near the FF666 one.
    notable differences, I don't have any interior labels besides the silver serial number. My solder joints look natural, whereas FF's look filed or ground flat.

I am confused that there is a Rev B and Rev C on the same PCB.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]