Daughters Talent Show....RESPECT, Superstition, Let's Get It On....

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by gainiac, Apr 22, 2008.

1. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

My little Bubble-Gum Pop-Candy girl came up to me and said, "Daddy I don't like new pop music anymore, I like to listening to the old stuff you put on my I-Pod..."

Anyhow.......She proceeds to belt out Aretha's version of Respect...Singing along with the track.

I said, "Think you can do that huh?"

She looks at me and unassumingly says "yup", like it's old hat or something. She's 11 BTW.

I pull out my acoustic and say, "Okay then, here we go...1,2,3,4....g7-f7" you get the picture.

The girl hits it in key, doesn't nail every pitch because she hasn't memorized it to that level but it's obvious she can.

Now I'm working on a trio arrangement of that tune.....I'm going to pull back the tempo a bit give the verse a "Black Crowes meets Gospel treatment" and the Chorus I'm going to do in the Mayfield/Hendrix school..............

Anyhow I got that cookin'.

Now she wants to sing "Superstition" easy tune but complex arrangement.

I know all the common hooks and stuff but I've never seriously taken the tune on. Rhythmically there is a bunch of perculations going on and I can get the hang of that no problem........

What I would like if any of you (Who've really stretched this song) could be kind enough to post ( or PM) the basic chord chart and whatever slick voicings and embellishments upon the motif that you have used to make it work with, say, a 3 piece. Guitar, Bass, Drums.

I'm already breaking it down myself but I'm sure their are people here who have put in like 250,000 miles on this song...........

"Let's Get It On"....Damn I love this song, I don't need any help with that one!

Little girl is making Daddy proud!

My policy has always been for every record she wants I also pick and buy one for her that I think she'll like.........

Thanks!

Martin

2. jmecale72

jmecale72 Member

Wow! Good luck with your project. Post something when you get it done. Would love to hear your daughter. Hopefully my daughter will be interested in performing when she gets older. She's 16 months old now, but I see that lil twinkle in her eye whenever dad breaks out his guitar! Good luck!

3. gennation

gennation Member

Cool gainiac! My son is a pretty serious guitar player these days, has his first band gig int he big city coming up. My youngest is starting violin lessons tonight and one older than her starts drum lessons later this week.

Fun stuff!!! Good luck!

4. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

gainiac-very cool,sir...Superstition is a great tune:chorus goes(If you _belieeve in things..) B C B Bb A B to (riff)E9

5. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

That's a really cool policy. My little sister, 12, wants to learn guitar or bass. I'm going to lend her my first guitar, a Squire Strat, and teach her some stuff. Once she has a little better idea of what she wants to play, I'm going to buy her a guitar.

I also need to give her some good music to check out.

6. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

Tuned down a half step to Eb....(horns)........

I do have a chart now..........

7. Bussman

Bussman Member

Sorry, I beat you to it. My daughter is doing a slower blues-rock version of Respect for her audition to the Montreal's Jazz Festival Blues Camp this Saturday... I did her backing track in a marathon all night session last weekend.

8. JonR

JonR Member

There's a kind of b5 chord in there in the chorus (in key of E):

|B7 / C7 / |B7 / Bb7b5 / |A7 / / / |B7#9 -------|

You could also make the C7 a C7b5 if you want.
    Or - if you can manage it - make the C and Bb into lydian dominant chords: C9#11, Bb9#11.
    (The reason is that the melody note on these chords is the b5 or #11. It can throw a singer if they need that note and it's not in the chord.)

And the main chord is Em7, not E9. The riff is pure minor pentatonic.
    (The probable reason it's in Eb minor is not for the horns, but because the black notes on the piano spell out Eb minor pent ;) )

9. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

Yeah....i knew the verse/ main riff is pure minor.......Thanks for the voicing recommendations....that's the stuff I'm looking for......

Sonically I want to cover the horn territory as well..........while I share the syncopation with the bass.........

10. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

Hahaha.......

I bet my arrangement is gonna sound COMPLETELY different than yours.......

I'm doing a Black Crowes'ish/Gospel swung verse, smashes into a "I shoulda quit you babe", Bonham drums/Hendrixy rhythm guitar, on the refrain/ chorus.......

I haven't figured out what I want to do with the bridge/sax solo section yet........

Nevertheless it's gonna be fun.

I'm gonna drop it on the boys I play with as well being that Otis sang it first....

11. Bussman

Bussman Member

Yeah, I didn't make it that complicated. One neat thing I did was ape the feel of the Franklin sisters background vocals with jangly 9 chords.

Hey, not only did Otis sing it, he wrote it!

Good luck to both of our daughters with their musical endeavours!!!

12. guildchild

guildchild Member

re: superstition
    i can't add anything about the voicings that hasn't been mentioned already. but for the horn parts here's my .02.

i play the main riff is the 5th position with the low e as the "pedal". the horn line is fairly close to the main riff with the primary exception of the 5-b3-R on beats 3 & 4 of the 2nd measure. when the horn line comes in, i shift to the 7th position and play the horn line 1 octave higher than the main riff. given the similarities between the 2 parts, the main groove isn't sacrificed, and the horn part comes out more distinctly as it's an octave higher than what you've been playing up to that point.

imho, it's definitely a tune that needs 2 "lead" instruments handling the groove riff and the horn sections separately, but we're not always that lucky.

btw, congrats on getting your kid to voluntarily get into great music!

13. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

Thanks.......Kids can be a lot of fun....It's nice to share the love.

14. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

Cool, thanks for the perspective.........You know who'd I'd LOVE to ask on how they would do this?

Tuck Andress........

15. JonR

JonR Member

On the original, the bass is just banging out a low E on the beats, but there's a great horn riff that I play in unison with them (I play bass on this tune in a soul band). Comes in half-way through the verse:
    Code:
    [FONT=Courier New][FONT=Courier New]|-------------------------------|------------------------------|----------[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]|-------------------------------|------------------------------|----------[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]|-------------------------------|------------------------------|----------[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]|-------------------------------|---------------/9---5---------|----------[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]|----7-----7-----------5-----7-7|----7---5-7-------------7-----|----------[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]|----------------3-5-7-----7----|(0)---------------------------|----------[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New] 1   .   2   .   3   .   4   .   1   .   2   .   3   .   4   .   [/FONT]
    [/FONT]