Daunting task ahead....

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Gasp100, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I've been playing my JTV 69 A LOT over the past week. I've been bringing it to work and playing in the car unplugged and sometimes into my G3X with headphones. I just got the HD500 in and actually whipped up a clean tone that stands pretty damn close to my main clean (Fender Bandmaster) on the II. In comparison (even through an Alto TS110 - which I LOVE BTW for at home tweaking, quick sound check and if I ever need wedge monitoring at rehearsal live) it's sort of 2D vs 3D. The II just has way more depth, presence and quality but honestly this clean tone on the HD500 is surely giggable. The FX seem pretty solid also and just touching the surface.
    I'm just not sure I'm up for many cables running on the floor (power, MIDI, at least one audio) for automatic Variax control (via HD500). I'll do more testing this weekend.
    But G*ddamn the Variax into the II is just MIND BLOWING... I personally LOVE the mag pickups in the JTV... yes, kind of hi-fi strat tones but really nice cut and they sound killer clean or driven. The humbucker sounds fairly polite and manageable clean but of course shines with overdrive. Using the whammy bar the thing stays in tune, the tuning machines (sperzel like) and stringing into the trem block is great - total gigging machine even before any Variax stuff).
    But dang, the Special, LP, Tele, some of the Firebird/Gretsch type tones are REALLY NICE!!! Like I said I actually prefer the mag strat tones to the "Spank" model. But I also like using the mags and then setting up the knob to kick in say the Special or Lester or similar. I could clearly do that WITHOUT the HD500... I still have much work to do with the acoustic side but there is promise.
    I have to learn workbench, I think I can use the "custom" bank to load my favorite 5 tones overall? and switch to them right on the guitar in quick succession?
    I may run some video and do a proper demo (maybe some direct recording and in the room recording) but I have a LOT to accomplish this weekend (including learning 10 Eagles tunes for my new tribute project).
    Just wanted to hop in and say the marriage of AxeFX II and JTV is pretty f*cking insane!!!

2. BK Verbs

BK Verbs Gold Supporting Member

Wait. You play guitar in your car? That's dedication.

3. ChrisVereb

ChrisVereb Member

With workbench, you can load custom guitars into any slot of any bank, not just the custom ones. You can also create patches that blend the mags in with the modelling. So you could do the magnetic neck pickup with the modeled lester bridge....and flip the phase if you're feeling funky.

4. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

Doesn't the Line 6 Variax jack on the back of the hd500 let you use one cable to plug in the Variax for everything? (Power, control, audio).

5. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Once you get the hang of the Workbench software app, you indeed load in custom banks of whatever you want on the 'preset' banks.

6. VictoriluxEL84

VictoriluxEL84 Supporting Member

Yes