Dave Grohl Reviews Led Zeppelin Mothership

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by DWB1960, Dec 17, 2009.

1. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

Screw Lester Bangs. Dave Grohl truly "gets it":

“The first band I truly fell in love with were The Beatles, without a doubt. That was when I was about nine or 10 years old. Like a lot of people in bands even now, I studied their anthology. I had the songbook and I would play along with the records for hours; that’s how I learned to play guitar as well as learning about harmonies, melodies and structures. It was a really important starting point for my musical life, but by the time I was 12 or 13, that changed because I threw all those kind of records away and devoted myself to punk instead. Those are the rights of passage that most young music fans go through but Led Zeppelin were one of the bands that were always there — no matter what phase I was in. To me they were the greatest hard rock’n’roll band of all time. They literally represented it and, more than anything, they sounded fearless. Every member was so incredible that they each could have been a soloist in their own right, but when they played together it was a perfect combination. But being great players will only take you so far — the thing about Led Zeppelin was that they were untouchable as songwriters too. It wasn’t just music for musicians, it had a much broader appeal, and that’s what made them such a successful band.

There are so many different sides to these guys too. First up, you’ve got your staples: ‘Whole Lotta Love’ and ‘Communication Breakdown’ are the rock classics that everyone knows but there is so much more. Their virtuoso playing probably comes out best in songs like ‘Kashmir’.
    I remember reading an article in an American newspaper that listed what they thought were the 10 best compositions of all time. In the list, they had pieces by Mozart, Beethoven, and Wagner, but ‘Kashmir’ was one of them as well. It’s like a musical eclipse — the parts circle each other and then, at a certain point, they come together in a sort of once-in-a-million years alignment — and it’s ****ing genius. But then there are the swaggering songs that just straight-up make you want to boogie. ‘Rock And Roll’ is a great one for that, but my personal favourite has got to be ‘Nobody’s Fault But Mine’— that one’s got some major style.

Of course, I can’t talk about the Zep without talking about John Bonham. I’ve said it many times before but he was a huge influence on me as a drummer. He had such a sense of recklessness in the way he played, and it was very daring. Sure he had power and he had chops, but I was fascinated by his feel too — nobody could recreate that. It’s just something that was entirely at the hands and feet of John Bonham and John Bonham only. There’s a drum roll on ‘Achilles Last Stand’ which sounds inhuman. I swear to god, I have no idea how it’s possible for anyone to do that and ‘Good Times Bad Times’ has the kick drum break that changed the world. If you have any aspirations to be a drummer, songs like these are absolutley crucial to you. Even if you can’t play them, you need to know about them.

Outside of just drumming, I think ‘When The Levee Breaks’ is probably the most important song to me because it made me realise that it’s not so much the players that make the band but the relationship between them. It’s completely relaxed, natural and totally real, and it made me understand that if you substituted a member of the band with another person it would still be different even if that new person could play all the parts exactly the same. I’ve recently come to realise that with Foo Fighters too — that what happens on stage with the four of us is a direct result of the personal relationships we have, and you can best hear the power of Led Zeppelin’s relationships with each other in this song.

I still listen to every one of their albums front-to-back, so fitting an entire career of eight albums on to two CDs is a pretty tough job, but these two discs probably sum it up as well as it’s possible to. One of the more underrated albums of their anthology is ‘Led Zeppelin III’. I think it was considered a little too acoustic for a rock’n’roll band, but I loved it – it was my soundtrack to dropping out of high school – and because of that, I would’ve liked to have seen more songs like ‘Friends’ and ‘Bron-Y-Aur Stomp’ on this compilation. But that’s not necessarily a criticism. All I’m saying is that everyone has their favourite era of Led Zeppelin and mine is a little unrepresented. But as for the songs that are actually on here, they prove that this was a once-in-a-lifetime band.
    I defy anyone to find a rock group with enough good material to create a two-disc compilation that’s as strong as this. If it was my mixtape I would make it a lot longer, but if I wanted my daughter to learn about Led Zeppelin, I would definitely give her this. As for the score — I’m not ****ing around here — it has to be full marks.

Dave Grohl

10 out of 10

2. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

yep, if somebody agrees with me, they "get it." if not, they are simply wrong.

i love led zeppelin by the way.

3. cram

cram Member

hehehehe. he said, "mix tape"
    :)

4. drewl

drewl Member

I hate Kashmir, but aside from that I love Zep.

5. hcole

hcole Member

Exactly what I was thinking.

6. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

I'm a Grohl fanboy -- so reading this was really interesting. Great take,....and he definitely does get it. Thing I like the best that we share the same favorite -- Zep III. I absolutely love that record,....Physical Graffiti is a close second.

7. harvestmark

harvestmark Member

I'll give them a lot of credit. They didn't seem to have a formula they relied on. Everything was different except for maybe In through The Out Door.

Mark Miller

8. BarkingTree

BarkingTree Member

Rehit..I just ordered this with the deluxe DVD...I had alot of Zepp in diff forms
    but this one I finally decided on. The next would be to replace my vhs of "Song remains the Same".

9. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

The new version of song remains the same sounds way better. I would consider it a must own.

Also, how the west was one and bbc sessions are both really excellent

10. shane88

shane88 Member

:agree er the prob with comp albums is what to leave off but tru fans (tm) will have all the records anyway - if i was doin a zep comp it would be quite different - ymmv

11. Marble

Marble Member

Isn't this the compilation that is way compressed (more than the original compression) and has a much louder sound now? I mean Zep is awesome but why would a *******r sounding greatest hits package be better than what's out there?

12. sonicD

sonicD Member

It's 30 year old music. Who doesn't "get it" by now?

13. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

???

ITTOD was as different as anything else they did, IMO. Certainly not as dark and spooky as Presence, which preceded it. I do remember being disappointed when it first came out, but I was maybe 13, and quickly grew to appreciate it.

Some guitar types have an issue with it because of the prominennce of JPJ's keyboard arrangements.

14. OogieBoogieMan

OogieBoogieMan Member

You can pick any songs off the first 8 AC/DC albums to create an even better compilation

15. blood5150

blood5150 Member

Led Zeppelin's songs sound different from one another dude....

16. Structo

Structo Member

I'm a bit older than Mr. Grohl so I would have to place the Beatles at the top but very near or sharing that platform would be Led Zeppelin.
    What I liked about Led Zeppelin was that every new album was a new period or theme.
    You expected that from them.
    Sometimes you didn't necessarily love the new one right away but after a while you kind of got where they were coming from and you loved it as much as the previous records.

I have to say that as much as Jimmy Page and the boys were geniuses in the studio, the time I saw them in the late 75 I was kind of disappointed.
    I guess I expected Jimmy to play as well as he did on the record but the whole thing seemed sloppy.
    I'm sure the boys indulged before hitting the stage so that may explain part of it.
    But Jimmy was never that precise or technical live but in the studio and on the record there were few who could touch him.

17. deluxemeat

deluxemeat Member

a guy like him reviewing zep is kind of a "soft ball"...

18. zep41

zep41 Member

Not to be nit-picky, but they didnt play any shows in late 1975.

Here is a good reference site for Zep dates and it is very accurate.

http://www.ledzeppelin-reference.com/geekbaseweb/forumpage.aspx

19. neville5000

neville5000 Supporting Member

I love AC/DC, but forget the ballpark, they're not even on the same planet as LZ. In AC/DC's defense though, how many bands can put out the same record 20 times and still have people buy them? Answer, one, AC/DC.

20. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Member

They were all different except that one? I'm confused...

I've grown to like ITTOD quite a bit over the years. I didn't like it during my obligatory "Zep phase" I went through in high school. Maybe that's why I dig it now; didn't burn myself out on it back then.