Dave Hunter Two Stroke Amp Kit

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by IceTre, Jan 22, 2012.

1. IceTre

IceTre Supporting Member

I just finished reading Dave Hunter's book, The Guitar Amp Handbook. I enjoyed it and learned a lot. In the last chapter is an amp he designed called the "Two Stroke", with instructions on how to build it. I'd like to try it.

I tried to google and find a site where I could buy the kit, but was unsuccessful. I found a site www.tubeampnetwork.com but it had no way to order the kit, and didn't even have an email address or phone number.

Anybody here ever built the Two Stroke amp? Anybody know where to order the kit?

Thanks,

2. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Victoria amps was selling the kit for a while. IMHO, it's an expensive way to build your first amp... Though I have not seen what the documentation is like.

Lot's of folks have amp kits these days. The key for a first build though is solid instructions, a way to get help, and well though out trouble shooting. Metro amps had that pretty much inured out with great instructions, a great community forum and high quality components. Unfortunately, they no longer offer them.

Great book btw, it was the inspiration for my getting into amp building as a hobby.

3. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Member

Victoria Amps has the kit and prebuilt.

4. IceTre

IceTre Supporting Member

I found the contact info on thetubeampnetwork.com and wrote them. I'll check out Victoria also. Thanks for the tips.

5. IceTre

IceTre Supporting Member

The kit is $600 at www.thetubeampnetwork.com, $1000 for the Victoria kit. Both include cabinet and speakers. That's a big difference in price, I wonder why?

6. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

7. Stick&LeafTrap

Stick&LeafTrap Member

I agree that the Victoria version of the kit is a bit on the expensive side, but it also looks pretty unique and cool, so if that makes it worth it to you, go for it. I'm sure the parts are top-quality as well. I love Victoria as a company, and own a 45410 with which I'll never part, but I do have to admit that I don't get why this kit is QUITE that expensive.

As for the amp, I've not built one, but I do own one. So while I can't speak to the best way to source the parts, I can speak to the quality of the finished product. It's a fantastic amp, and it packs a lot of interesting and useful features into a dead-simple design. It sounds incredible - super touch-sensitive, great cleans, great breakup, awesome pedal platform, and good volume range for home and recording. I'm sure it would be a fun build, and I think you'll be really happy with the result.