Dave Murray's '57 Strat

Any old magazines etc. with more info on this guitar? I've found only a little, and some of it conflicting.

'57 Strat ex Kossoff - maybe a Fender partscaster (body and neck not together from factory)?

3 way selector with black tip, volume re-positioned to clear chrome humbucker ring. Otherwise stock electronics?

Pickups DP 103 PAF neck, '57 Strat middle, DP 100 Super Distortion bridge?

Did he mod it or buy it like that?

Are the humbucker rings only held in by the height adjustment screw? (no corner screws in photos?) What sort of chrome humbucker rings were around in mid '70s UK?

Is it the original Fender pickguard with volume hole slotted to move pot sideways?

Any other changes?

shupe13

I might be wrong but I believe there was a very good description of that guitar on an episode of "Rig Rundown". I think.

...very good description of that guitar on an episode of "Rig Rundown"...
If you chance across it again, could you post a link? I had a look, but I'm only finding the rack/amp side of things, not the guitars so far.

I'm trying to remember where I saw some details when I was building mine... I know I used the Fender re-issuing as a basic related to hardware.
I liked your build. Looking at the Fender re-issue up close, no screws on the humbucker rings, maybe to hide a rough hand cut hole then on the original?

There's a little info here if you scroll down....

https://www.groundguitar.com/paul-kossoff-guitars-and-gear/
Thanks, after reading I wonder if the Murray guitar is even the same Kossoff guitar that article is talking about?

The Dave Murray photo they linked to has got a Kahler and a rosewood board.

Is the Kahler/rosewood strat another guitar? Or did he swap necks and get a hole routed for a Kahler at one point to be filled in later?

Wikipedia says it's a 1957 neck / 1963 body, but the linked reference doesn't say that(???).

Duncan forum build thread suggest that the pots are 250k, and that he originally notched the chrome ring to accommodate the volume control position.

cvansickle

Gold Supporting Member
I built my own Dave Murray tribute in 2007, using a black MIM Strat and the appropriate Dimarzio pickups. I switched to a HSH pickguard, probably from Stewmac (and the requisite black chrome rings), but used the original pots and caps rig from the stock pickguard. The guitar nailed the Iron Maiden sounds perfectly, and I used it for a ton of other NWOBHM and hair band music too. I never gave any thought to the pot or cap values, as I was perfectly happy with the way it sounded from the start.

CJReaper

If you chance across it again, could you post a link? I had a look, but I'm only finding the rack/amp side of things, not the guitars so far.

I liked your build. Looking at the Fender re-issue up close, no screws on the humbucker rings, maybe to hide a rough hand cut hole then on the original?

Thanks, after reading I wonder if the Murray guitar is even the same Kossoff guitar that article is talking about?

The Dave Murray photo they linked to has got a Kahler and a rosewood board.

Is the Kahler/rosewood strat another guitar? Or did he swap necks and get a hole routed for a Kahler at one point to be filled in later?

Wikipedia says it's a 1957 neck / 1963 body, but the linked reference doesn't say that(???).

Duncan forum build thread suggest that the pots are 250k, and that he originally notched the chrome ring to accommodate the volume control position.
The Kahler Strat is a different guitar as he plays both guitars in the Live After Death video. Looking at the videos below it appears the mounting rings were added later and the middle single coil was either removed or replaced with a black pickup temporarily. Dave and Adrian are two of my biggest influences and I have researched their gear for years. Aside from a couple of old tour programs and a 1983 Guitar Player interview I haven't found much else detailing their gear. Hell I even worked with Adrian and asked him directly about a couple of things and he couldn't remember, lol!

Last edited:

Windup 43

Silver Supporting Member
The Kahler Strat is a different guitar as he plays both guitars in the Live After Death video. Looking at the videos below it appears the mounting rings were added later and the middle single coil was either removed or replaced with a black pickup temporarily. Dave and Adrian are two of my biggest influences and I have researched their gear for years. Aside from a couple of old tour programs and a 1983 Guitar Player interview I haven't found much else detailing their gear. Hell I even worked with Adrian and asked him directly about a couple of things and he couldn't remember, lol!

The Di’Anno era was the best! :D

Pot value is very important to metal heads!
Control cavity used to be quite a good place to put it, but a bit obvious now.

The Kahler Strat is a different guitar as he plays both guitars in the Live After Death video. Looking at the videos below it appears the mounting rings were added later and the middle single coil was either removed or replaced with a black pickup temporarily. Dave and Adrian are two of my biggest influences and I have researched their gear for years. Aside from a couple of old tour programs and a 1983 Guitar Player interview I haven't found much else detailing their gear.
Thanks for the information and links - I got geoblocked on one, but yeah can see the pre-mounting ring guitar. Also that maybe answers another unstated question of mine - it's possibly not the original pickguard - the angled holes for strat bridge pickup and unused holes for strat neck aren't there.

I remember poring over the LAD vinyl gatefold equipment list in the '80s. I didn't know what 75% of the stuff was and of course I couldn't look it up on the web.

Hell I even worked with Adrian and asked him directly about a couple of things and he couldn't remember, lol!
Wow! You going to leave us all hanging??!!

That also may well explain why there's not so much information around!

CJReaper

Wow! You going to leave us all hanging??!!

That also may well explain why there's not so much information around!
I was working at Sound City Studios when Bruce Dickinson recorded Accident of Birth there (even got my name in the liner notes, I can die happy). Micheal Kenny (Steve's tech) was there also so I grilled him too, lol! All he could remember was that he thought Adrian had left his red Ibanez Destroyer at Steve's house because that's the last place he (Micheal) saw it.

I got to give Adrian a ride to the grocery store which was f***ing surreal. We talked about Uli Jon Roth, Micheal Schenker and Jackson guitars, it was pretty freaking cool. I just remember walking around Vons in North Hills with a guy who sold out Long Beach Arena three nights in a row a few years prior and nobody knew who he was. I asked him about his signal chain for the POM recordings but again, memory failed. I told him I remembered him saying he used a Tube Screamer and I told him his lead tone on that album wasn't just fat, it was obese! He got a chuckle out of that and I noticed a few years later he was using a TS again. Probably nothing to do with our conversation but if it did that would be amazing, lol!

Also got to talk to Bruce a bit, he was cool and really into the TWA Flight 800 conspiracy at the time. Got my 12 Wasted Years box set signed by both of them too. When I told Bruce that Flight of Icarus was the song that got me into Maiden and was one of my favorites he got a big, mischievous grin and said, "Steve hates that song!" so I think I got on his good side with that one, lol! Pretty amazing session for me!

Emigre

I was working at Sound City Studios when Bruce Dickinson recorded Accident of Birth there (even got my name in the liner notes, I can die happy). Micheal Kenny (Steve's tech) was there also so I grilled him too, lol! All he could remember was that he thought Adrian had left his red Ibanez Destroyer at Steve's house because that's the last place he (Micheal) saw it.

I got to give Adrian a ride to the grocery store which was f***ing surreal. We talked about Uli Jon Roth, Micheal Schenker and Jackson guitars, it was pretty freaking cool. I just remember walking around Vons in North Hills with a guy who sold out Long Beach Arena three night in a row a few years prior and nobody knew who he was. I asked him about his signal chain for the POM recordings but again, memory failed. I told him I remembered him saying he used a Tube Screamer and I told him his lead tone on that album wasn't just fat, it was obese! He got a chuckle out of that and I noticed a few years later he was using a TS again. Probably nothing to do with our conversation but if it did that would be amazing, lol!

Also got to talk to Bruce a bit, he was cool and really into the TWA Flight 800 conspiracy at the time. Got my 12 Wasted Years box set signed by both of them too. When I told Bruce that Flight of Icarus was the song that got me into Maiden and was one of my favorites he got a big, mischievous grin and said, "Steve hates that song!" so I think I got on his good side with that one, lol! Pretty amazing session for me!
:bow:bow:bow

Bankston

I got to give Adrian a ride to the grocery store which was f***ing surreal. We talked about Uli Jon Roth, Micheal Schenker and Jackson guitars, it was pretty freaking cool. I just remember walking around Vons in North Hills with a guy who sold out Long Beach Arena three nights in a row a few years prior and nobody knew who he was. I asked him about his signal chain for the POM recordings but again, memory failed. I told him I remembered him saying he used a Tube Screamer and I told him his lead tone on that album wasn't just fat, it was obese! He got a chuckle out of that and I noticed a few years later he was using a TS again. Probably nothing to do with our conversation but if it did that would be amazing, lol!

That is awesome. The guys in Maiden seem so down to earth. When they're not touring the world in their own private jumbo jet and selling out arenas and stadiums, they're jamming at small bars and clubs. Nicko plays with a cover band at his BBQ joint. Adrian plays covers in bars sometimes. And Steve tours with British Lion.

I'll hopefully get to meet Steve at the British Lion show here on the 22nd because my band is opening for them.

CJReaper

That is awesome. The guys in Maiden seem so down to earth. When they're not touring the world in their own private jumbo jet and selling out arenas and stadiums, they're jamming at small bars and clubs. Nicko plays with a cover band at his BBQ joint. Adrian plays covers in bars sometimes. And Steve tours with British Lion.

I'll hopefully get to meet Steve at the British Lion show here on the 22nd because my band is opening for them.
That's awesome! If you do you definitely need to share, Steve and Dave are the only two from the classic lineup that I haven't met. Hope you guys have a great show!

Last edited:

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member

Mind...blown...

Dude, seriously that is incredible. Like you, life-long, die-hard Maiden fan here. I've seen them more times than I can count and Accept/Maiden was my very first concert ever. My proudest Maiden moment doesn't come within 1000 miles of yours, but at a show in NJ, Dave Murray gave me his pick at the end of Wicker Man. It's been a lifelong goal of mine to eventually get an Adrian Smith pick. You, my friend, got to hang with Adrian Smith. Unbelievably cool!!!!!

Trending Topics