Dave Murray's '57 Strat

mrface2112

Wow, so much cool in this thread. Maiden's been a HUGE influence and inspiration, not really so much in my playing or writing, but just because they're real, working guys who just seem to enjoy playing. Live After Death changed my life. I'd love to just tell them "thanks".

First time I saw em was in 91 on the No Prayer tour and saw em again last summer (and several times in between).

CJReaper

Mind...blown...

Dude, seriously that is incredible. Like you, life-long, die-hard Maiden fan here. I've seen them more times than I can count and Accept/Maiden was my very first concert ever. My proudest Maiden moment doesn't come within 1000 miles of yours, but at a show in NJ, Dave Murray gave me his pick at the end of Wicker Man. It's been a lifelong goal of mine to eventually get an Adrian Smith pick. You, my friend, got to hang with Adrian Smith. Unbelievably cool!!!!!
Thanks man, yeah, it's one of those memories I can turn to when life starts to go to sh*t, lol! I may be having a really bad day or my depression is getting out of hand but if I can just pull my head out of my arse for a second I tell myself, "Dude, you got to hang with Adrian Smith AND Bruce Dickinson, you got to watch and listen to them record, you played his Gold Top LP for f*cks sake, what are you upset about?????" it helps, lol.

Back then I had a Toyota pickup with a huge Iron Maiden decal taking up most of the back window. When we were getting in it to go to the store Adrian pointed at it and said, "Maiden huh?" I said, "Yeah, you and Dave are the reason I started playing guitar" to which he replied, "Ah, it's our fault is it?" LOL!

I did get to briefly play his Gold Top LP and his white Jackson Strat (from 7th Son). When I saw the road cases rolling in with Iron Maiden stenciled on the side I was tripping, lol! I'd love to meet Dave, having his pick would be pretty awesome too. Unfortunately I didn't get a pick from Adrian but playing his guitars made up for it, lol!

phodg

Met the whole band at Manchester Apollo after a gig on the "Somewhere In Time" album cycle. They were great. They came back out and sat there and talked to people and signed as much stuff as everyone wanted.

DonP

You guys are young. My first metal album was NOTB (followed by Love at First Sting and Balls to the Wall). Saw Maiden in more SoCal concerts than just about anyone else (Metallica would be the closest).

Long Beach (for Powerslave) was awesome. Have the DVD too.

I have a "Dave Guitar" project I need to get finished.

Greatest Band Ever.

Windup 43

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve seen them three times over the years...1982 on the Number Of The Beast tour double heading w/ Judas Priest (Screaming For Vengeance), again in 2002, and 2012. I hope I get to see them one more time, just missed their L.A. date unfortunately. I would’ve LOVED to see them w/ the Di’Anno lineup from the first two albums...those are still my favorite albums, although I love the Bruce stuff also. The ‘82 show in NY blew my impressionable 14 year old mind! :D

Surfreak

My very first gig was Maiden on the Killers european tour in 1981, and it was just unbelievable. Since then I saw them through pretty much every incarnation of the band (and Eddie), up to last year’s Legacy of the Beast.

And I booked Bruce to speak at one of my company’s events! Hasn’t happened yet due to conflicting schedules - he is a fairly busy guy, heh - but when it does, expect some ample TGP coverage!

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks man, yeah, it's one of those memories I can turn to when life starts to go to sh*t, lol! I may be having a really bad day or my depression is getting out of hand but if I can just pull my head out of my arse for a second I tell myself, "Dude, you got to hang with Adrian Smith AND Bruce Dickinson, you got to watch and listen to them record, you played his Gold Top LP for f*cks sake, what are you upset about?????" it helps, lol.

Back then I had a Toyota pickup with a huge Iron Maiden decal taking up most of the back window. When we were getting in it to go to the store Adrian pointed at it and said, "Maiden huh?" I said, "Yeah, you and Dave are the reason I started playing guitar" to which he replied, "Ah, it's our fault is it?" LOL!

I did get to briefly play his Gold Top LP and his white Jackson Strat (from 7th Son). When I saw the road cases rolling in with Iron Maiden stenciled on the side I was tripping, lol! I'd love to meet Dave, having his pick would be pretty awesome too. Unfortunately I didn't get a pick from Adrian but playing his guitars made up for it, lol!
Wow, that is cool! I would've been completely at a loss for words (Big Ora) if I were to hang and drive around with Adrian. Speaking of guitars, I'll share a couple of cool Maiden-related things here:

This is a 1980 Les Paul that was owned by Bernie Marsden of Whitesnake. It was used on one of their live albums, photographed extensively, and had a personal letter from Bernie in the case. He got it directly from the Gibson factory in 1980, when he went for a visit with Ian Paice, who also got one. He lent it to Adrian Smith for the recording of Seventh Son. So, I got to play this guitar, which was very cool. The guitar shop wanted a lot for it, so I didn't buy it, but was so incredibly tempted, regardless.

Here's my coveted Dave Murray pick. Personally given to me by Dave, which was one of the coolest concert memories ever.

CJReaper

Wow, that is cool! I would've been completely at a loss for words (Big Ora) if I were to hang and drive around with Adrian. Speaking of guitars, I'll share a couple of cool Maiden-related things here:

This is a 1980 Les Paul that was owned by Bernie Marsden of Whitesnake. It was used on one of their live albums, photographed extensively, and had a personal letter from Bernie in the case. He got it directly from the Gibson factory in 1980, when he went for a visit with Ian Paice, who also got one. He lent it to Adrian Smith for the recording of Seventh Son. So, I got to play this guitar, which was very cool. The guitar shop wanted a lot for it, so I didn't buy it, but was so incredibly tempted, regardless.

Here's my coveted Dave Murray pick. Personally given to me by Dave, which was one of the coolest concert memories ever.

That is cool! Did you get to plug it in? If so how did it sound? I'd love to know what songs Adrian used it on. That pick is awesome, looks like he uses a fairly heavy gauge?

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
That is cool! Did you get to plug it in? If so how did it sound? I'd love to know what songs Adrian used it on. That pick is awesome, looks like he uses a fairly heavy gauge?
Yeah, I played it for like an hour through a JCM800 half stack. It was heavy and typical of a late 70's/early 80's Norlin era LP. It was described as their first attempt at historic reissue, before they formally made historic reissues. The pickups were nice. I think stock Shaw or T-Top or something like that. I liked the factory Grovers on it. I have no clue what songs it was used on for Seventh Son. It would be cool to know- Hey, text Adrian and ask him!! The Dave pick is an Ernie Ball heavy. Coincidentally, I have been listening to Accident of Birth. What a great album Totally under the radar.

Great thread!!!

I recall, when I was building my Murray Strat - see the link in my signature, that I wanted to build the guitar to be a tribute to Murray, but not 100% exactly like his. So I definitely changed a few things around (I used a DiMarzio 36th anniversary cream pickup in the neck I believe instead of a more vintage PAF, and I used a 5-way switch instead of a 3-way).

I saw Maiden this past summer and they still freaking rocked. I'll try to upload a video of Aces High from the show to YouTube.

This reminds me, I should build a new one...

CJReaper

Yeah, I played it for like an hour through a JCM800 half stack. It was heavy and typical of a late 70's/early 80's Norlin era LP. It was described as their first attempt at historic reissue, before they formally made historic reissues. The pickups were nice. I think stock Shaw or T-Top or something like that. I liked the factory Grovers on it. I have no clue what songs it was used on for Seventh Son. It would be cool to know- Hey, text Adrian and ask him!! The Dave pick is an Ernie Ball heavy. Coincidentally, I have been listening to Accident of Birth. What a great album Totally under the radar.
Man that must have sounded great through a JCM800. Yeah that album is really underrated. There was an unreleased cover of Journey's "Wheel in the Sky" that they recorded but I don't know if it was ever featured as bonus track on later pressings.

biff maloy

Year old topic but I'm a lifelong fan of Maiden. A huge credit goes to Dave and Adrian being very influential.

CJReaper, fantastic story. I finally got to meet Steve Harris after a British Lion gig around February last year. Couldn't believe i got to shake his hand with a quick picture.

Back to the Dave Murray 57 Stratocaster. I have a very early 90s Deluxe Stratocaster Plus I've owned for that long. The ones that came with Lace Sensors. Many years ago i swapped that pickguard out for a Super Distortion bridge, Strat single in the middle (I dont remember which one) and a Super Distortion 2 in the neck. 500k pots although if i ever need to replace them i may try 250k.

There's been a couple of Murray signature Stratocasters and it seems every one of them have a Dimarzio PAF type in the neck. I've done that also. Great tones with that pickup but to my ears that Super Distortion 2 in the neck gets more into the zone of his neck pickup tone which is where his uniqueness is.

Just my take on this famous guitar that always disappoints when it comes to finding out what he actually used in it.

Bankston

That's awesome! If you do you definitely need to share, Steve and Dave are the only two from the classic lineup that I haven't met. Hope you guys have a great show!
This thread rose from the dead like Eddie busting out of his grave.

I totally neglected to post a follow up. Can't believe it's already been over a year. Firstly, Steve spent a long time meeting fans, posing for pics and signing everything given to him. I have his Fender signature bass and he signed that for me. He had 3 of his own for the show. Sorry for the grainy pic:

I got to watch Soundcheck. Steve is reaaaaally meticulous about the music. He made his drummer go over the same part, no more than 4 measures, in one of the songs for what seemed like 10-15 minutes. Steve was intensely listening to every cymbal, snare and bass hit and providing feedback. He didn't seem like he was being a jerk about it either because I didn't hear him say a word and everyone in his band and crew seemed to be having a good time.

After our 20 minute set, one of Steve's crew said "Now that's how it's done, mate." I guess he liked it.

One year. One $#!^&||\|@ year.

In dribs and drabs over this year:

• Put Donlis Ivory Hex Pole Piece Ceramic humbuckers along with Donlis chrome rings in the old Strat copy. Really well made pickups, look and sound the part. Tonerider Pure Vintage bridge in the middle (A5/A3 combo).
  • Switchcraft socket, Oak-Grigsby 5 way, CTS 250kΩ volume (labelled "tone"), dummy tone. Pickup selection as per Ibanez RG, autosplit in 2 & 4. Need blanking plug for original volume location.
  • Fixed the bridge up, Helicoils for block and arm, Wilkinson locking saddles.

Should go and play the thing.

Orm-D

I was working at Sound City Studios when Bruce Dickinson recorded Accident of Birth there (even got my name in the liner notes, I can die happy). Micheal Kenny (Steve's tech) was there also so I grilled him too, lol! All he could remember was that he thought Adrian had left his red Ibanez Destroyer at Steve's house because that's the last place he (Micheal) saw it.

I got to give Adrian a ride to the grocery store which was f***ing surreal. We talked about Uli Jon Roth, Micheal Schenker and Jackson guitars, it was pretty freaking cool. I just remember walking around Vons in North Hills with a guy who sold out Long Beach Arena three nights in a row a few years prior and nobody knew who he was. I asked him about his signal chain for the POM recordings but again, memory failed. I told him I remembered him saying he used a Tube Screamer and I told him his lead tone on that album wasn't just fat, it was obese! He got a chuckle out of that and I noticed a few years later he was using a TS again. Probably nothing to do with our conversation but if it did that would be amazing, lol!

Also got to talk to Bruce a bit, he was cool and really into the TWA Flight 800 conspiracy at the time. Got my 12 Wasted Years box set signed by both of them too. When I told Bruce that Flight of Icarus was the song that got me into Maiden and was one of my favorites he got a big, mischievous grin and said, "Steve hates that song!" so I think I got on his good side with that one, lol! Pretty amazing session for me!
WOW!!!! GREAT GREAT stories!! You are the absolute coolest person on here. Up The Irons!

jlcogar

Silver Supporting Member
Great stuff indeed ! Dave Murray and live after death were such a huge influence on my early guitaring. I literally wore out the vhs. Can hear daves solo from powerslave in my head while writing this. That strat is the only celeb guitar i have ever considered attempting to duplicate. Maybe now its time

Trending Topics