David Allen Bassman Mod

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by peachead1071, Jul 28, 2005.

1. peachead1071

peachead1071 Member

Just had this done to my SF bassman, and it is wonderful.

It converts channel 1 (Bass) into a plexi/tweed type circuit, and channel 2 (Normal) to AA164 blackface specs.

The reworked Bass channel is simply unreal, the best tone this amp has ever produced.

This amp was on it's last leg, and David brought it back and onto another plateau of good tone. Not to mention he was very easy to work with.

I highly reccomend his work, and if you have a stock SF bassman, by all means send it his way for a new lease on life. :dude

2. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

+1

Nothing but raves from me for David Allen.

3. UconnJack

UconnJack Member

That's great to hear. He's working on my 67 as we speak. Same mods that you had done. Can't wait.

4. kingink

kingink Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for the mini-review! This mod seems really cool. I've always been curious about it. Does David Allen add gain to the bass channel, or does he just revoice it?

Also, have you cats tried blending the two channels with a jumper cable or ABY box?

5. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

Whenever I see a DA thread I give praise where praise is due.

He is a class act :D

He did lovely things to my SFPR.

6. peachead1071

peachead1071 Member

Well, I'm not really sure if he added gain to the bass channel, as it was pretty much unusable with guitar in the first place.

Right now, it sounds like the best JTM 45 on the planet, 10X better than the Reissue, all handwired, and for much less money.

I haven't tried blending the channels, but since they are so different (literally blackface and plexi Marshall), I doubt the results woud be pleasing. Channel switching with an ABY is a good idea, though.

He said this mod is becoming popular, and I can see why. This amp has never sounded so good.

7. SteveR

SteveR Member

Ditto ....

I had David do the same thing to my Vibrolux Reverb and it has been my main rig since. Can't say enough good about the man or his work!!!

Steve

8. Amplite

Amplite Member

I got a modded '67 Bassman from David Allen and it is Great!
    My 4th amp from him - David is one of the very best!!

:dude

9. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

Do you mind sharing how much it cost, ballpark? I'm curious, I have a Bassman that needs TLC...

10. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    Here's the price for his repairs, as well as that conversion mod:
    http://www.allenamps.com/repairs.html

11. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

THanks, tonedaddy! I should have done that in the first place... doh!:jo

12. Jack Walker

Jack Walker Supporting Member

I took an Allen Tone Savor in trade for my Dr. Z Z28 on a whim.
    This is Allen's take on the 65 BF twin circuit of which I own an authentic 65 BF twin. I figured I'll listen to it and turn around and trade it for something else. Please keep in mind that I'm predominently a country player. I received this head and plugged it into my Dr. Z 2 X 10 cabinet. BTW, I also have owned, up until 2 weeks ago, a MAZ 38 NR and now own a MAZ 18 Jr NR. I plugged into this Allen TS and was completely amazed with the tone. In my music room I was hearing the best country tone, for my ears, I had ever heard. I took it the next night to the gig and again was amazed. I loved my Maz 38 tone but this was better. It also blew my 65 twin away. No bottom end flub when I kicked in my pedals; just pure tone. It did clean well, over drive well and in one set became my main amp. I can't say enough about this amp or David Allen's ear. I'm a happy camper. BTW it sounds great with those Dr. Z 10s. They really do BF very well.

I'll always be a major Dr. Z fan but now I am equally a David Allen fan.

13. SteveR

SteveR Member

This is almost exactly my experience as well. My VR had been sitting in the corner collecting dust for more than 12 years. I had been playing a MAZ 38 sr w/ reverb.

On a whim, I decided to get the VR up and going again. Contacted David for all of the necessary work and haven't looked back since. NOTHING at all wrong with the Z amp. It's excellent in many ways. I was just so taken in by the tone and warmth of the VR with 6L6's that it became my main amp again right away.

I'm sure it won't be the end though. Seems like every so often I just get too familiar with the sound of an amp and want to try something different for awhile. But, therein is a lot of the fun in playing :D

Steve

14. UconnJack

UconnJack Member

Got my 67 Back from Mr. Allen yesterday and put it through it's paces. Let me say simply that this amp is now excellent. My strat never sounded so good! The normal channel is very Super like. Minty clean and sounds great with a little reverb (ala Holy Grail), added. I've heard the bass channel described as very plexi-like. To me, it has just the right amount of gain, almost sounds like a tweed bassman. Very early break-up. Both channels take my drive pedals (Keeley TS-9 and BB), very well.

Quality of the work is first rate. The chassis was completely cleaned up, knobs, lights, faulty switches were all replaced, in addition to the circuit upgrades. I'm one satisfied customer. If your considering this type of Mod, I highly recommend Mr. Allen.

UJ

:)

15. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

UconnJack,
    How much was the bill? I know the website says $150 but my '68 most likely needs needs new filter caps and a few cap and resistor replacements.

16. UconnJack

UconnJack Member