• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

David Bray 4550 vs FJA Mods JFD 100

Pleximan

Well I'm looking to buy another amp with tax money. I can get a like new used Bray 4550 fully loaded with a loop. Or I can get a like new FJA Mods JFD 100 loaded with a loop. It's FJA's take on the AFD 100 S.I.R. Slash Marshall.

Might also sell some gear and get a Stone Age 4x12. With G12H, and G12M's. That's pretty much the standard with these amps in my opinion.

They are both similar animals. 4550 a modded 50 watt plexi, JFD a modded 100 watt plexi. Handwired. Both cost about the same new.

Which one would be the most versatile amp?

I'm looking for a nice Hendrix like clean plexi tone.

Also can do 70's, 80's, and modern metal tones. I like Slash, EVH, Page, and Kassoff. Also newer like Govan, Thorn type tones.
I know several people on here have tried a 4550.

Anyone try a JFD 100?

Here are clips to compare.
FJA Mods JFD 100.
Crunch

Clean

David Bray 4550
Crunch

Clean

andyk

Silver Supporting Member
The Bray is a fine amp, great for getting modded Plexi brown sound. BUT, it won't do what the FJA clips do - which sound like great modded 800's. Apples and oranges, IMHO.

Bray and metal = I don't think so.

Pleximan

The Bray is a fine amp, great for getting modded Plexi brown sound. BUT, it won't do what the FJA clips do - which sound like great modded 800's. Apples and oranges, IMHO.

Bray and metal = I don't think so.
I wasn't sure how much gain a 4550 could get.

Have you played a JFD 100?

I don't know anyone that has.

goddot

Marshall 2210 or jubilee/slash head? I'm not sure if any pro's actually use the two heads your thinking about getting but I would try to hear or play it first before you purchase...

Pleximan

Marshall 2210 or jubilee/slash head? I'm not sure if any pro's actually use the two heads your thinking about getting but I would try to hear or play it first before you purchase...
The JFD 100 is based on a Modded Marshall Super Tremolo (with the tremolo circuit removed) Slash used on the Appetite for Destruction album. It was modded by Studio Instrument Rentals. It was also the same amp used by George Lynch on one of Dokken's albums.

goddot

I know the history of the SIR amp... I guess what I'm saying is you should try out before you buy.. the mod guys who are doing really good quality mods are well known and used... I don't see fja as one of those...just sayin

Pleximan

I know the history of the SIR amp... I guess what I'm saying is you should try out before you buy.. the mod guys who are doing really good quality mods are well known and used... I don't see fja as one of those...just sayin
I know what you're saying. But trying either before I buy isn't really a viable possibility. Otherwise I would demo them both.

goddot

gotcha, I would hate to see someone spend their tax return and be let down... I had a bray modified marshall and it sounded pretty good but I grew tired of the PPIMV. Have you thought about buying a marshall donor amp and sending it to caswell for the mod?

Pleximan

gotcha, I would hate to see someone spend their tax return and be let down... I had a bray modified marshall and it sounded pretty good but I grew tired of the PPIMV. Have you thought about buying a marshall donor amp and sending it to caswell for the mod?
That's a great idea actually. I have a Straub Cantus which is 68 Plexi Style amp. I wonder if he could make it scream harder? Maybe make it more versatile.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom