David Bray or Mark Cameron?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by War Admiral, Oct 14, 2006.

1. War Admiral

War Admiral Member

Which one do think is better and why? I'm going to pull the trigger on a 1987x modded by one of these guys but I'm in a dilema for which one.

2. glendrix

glendrix Member

My Cameron sounds fantastic but be prepared to wait

Need to add, never heard a Bray but heard good things

3. R.D.

R.D. Member

I've got a brand new Bray 1987x ( bought in July/Aug ) that is just killer ....

That said, I think I'm selling it because I realized for my current gig, I need a two channel amp ( bummer ).

If you're deal falls through, PM me and I'll send you a couple sound clips !

4. Randy

Randy Member

I've had many Cameron's, all of which have been nothing short of amazing. I've never played a Bray but the mushy bottom end in his clips has always made me hesitate. His clips sound very much like the '72 SL I had which had a Rich PPIVMV - plenty of gain but most of it unuseable because it would fart out. Again, just my take on his clips. You can't go wrong with a Cameron though.

5. R.D.

R.D. Member

I can't disagree with Randy's assessment of the Cameron's. But I can tell you all of Dave's clips were recorded with his old Marshall 4 x 12 w/Greenbacks. That just might explain some of the "mushy bottom end" ...?

Just a thought ?

6. War Admiral

War Admiral Member

Send me a couple of clips and a asking price for the hell of it. I just might bite.

7. R.D.

R.D. Member

2 E-mails Sent !

Thanks

8. Birdy

Birdy Member

I have a David Bray modded '85 JCM800 Superbass 4 holer.
    Amazing amp...:dude

9. sparkle**

sparkle** Member

Ihave a Cameron 3 channel amp...it is a monster amp...
    One thing would be Mark will tell you to go with a 100 watter... just sounds BIGGER! The master is SO good don't worry....

10. matte

matte Senior Member

love my cameron voiced/built uberschall.

11. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

I'm interesting in hearing more comments on the Bray modded amps... BUMP to get some of those.

12. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

I see you're doing quite the homework on this one.

13. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

Well, seriously my advice is to get one of each and let them fight it out in your living room, sell the one you don't like. Everyone hears things different - one mans heaven and all that. The Brays come up for sale far more often than used Camerons, Cameron owners tend to keep them....Mark is turning things around in 4-6 weeks now, but with his upcoming NAMM debut things may be a bit more hectic, although thats for a from the ground up built amp, he can still knock out the mods.

Steve E

14. dspblues

Yeah, well... I want to do it up right. I might just get the real 69 plexi at Lark Street. Then.. for lower wattage rigs, a Bray moded JTM45, then a good cab to play them through.

After all these Bray discussions, my best friend just picked up a 1959 slp for $750!!! He's going to send it out to Bray and get mod 1 w/the dual master option. I'd still like to check yours out if that comes around first.

15. Myxolidian

Myxolidian Member

+1

The clips I've heard of Bray-modded Marshalls (most from his website) leave much to be desired. It just sounds really loose and ratty. My idea of a hot-rodded Marshall has a more compressed distortion sound.

16. dspblues

OK, so where do I find out more info on the Cameron mods?

17. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

Warren -

Use the search function in this section of TGP - there's been a ton of threads about his stuff lately. I've got his phone number if you need it.

Also - looks like the easy decision has been made ~ since your buddy scored a cheap SLP and it's going to Bray, you just need to score a cheap SLP and send it to Cameron, that way you guys can try them both out and figure out what works best. Worst case scenario - if you dont like the Cameron you can sell it in about 20 minutes to someone who doesn't want to wait for one.

This amp right here is one of the most bad ass amps I've ever owned or played....1959SLP - Cameron High Gain Jose modded...

[​IMG]

Steve E

18. danhops

danhops Member

Hoping I can say the same when my Uber comes back:)

19. dspblues

What I was hoping for on TGP is a website with his available mods, mp3s, etc... doesn't seem like he has that. Am I right?

I wasn't being lazy... I searched and couldn't find it. :)

20. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

I was listening to people play one at the Ampfest before it got loud. I noticed the amp and thought "that's damn nice for a Marshall" and then went on to talk with other people and stuff. But every now and again I kept having to turn my head to see who was doing it with that amp.

Now frankly I'm not the biggest fan of the Marshall plexi amplifier, but that amp was trying to tell me something.