David Crosby on Alec Baldwin: his statements which broke up CSN/Y; his POV on The Doors

stratotastic

Glad to see my opinion of the Doors and Morrison is validated by at least one of their contemporaries. IMO the only thing Morrison was good at was convincing rubes that he was some sort of good singer or mystical figure.

big mike

Platinum Supporting Member
I suspect a lot of haters on Jim are from his values, not his voice.For me, yanking on the Doors is like yanking on the Beatles. Here is what I don't care for of the Doors, Light my Fire. Why? Hard to love a song played 10 billion times for every occasion. But that right there tells you, folks really like them. And I wonder if it is more popular than any CSN song. BTW, I love early CSN
it's probably more played into the ground than any CSN song, but i'll take any CSN (And I don't think I even own one album at this point) over the best doors tune.
Just grates on me. Could give less than a hang about his 'values'. Don't really care. Don't know really. Not that I think Crosby has been the wisest guy on the planet either.

Different strokes.

57gold

Gold Supporting Member
To OP, thanks for posting. Wore out the three CSN, CSN&Y albums as a young teenager...along with NY's first couple of albums. Learned to play guitar with their songs and jams, along with EC and ABB stuff. So, interesting listening.

Interviews and books by these rock legends have to be taken with a grain of salt, they may have written and/or played great tunes, but they are just as imperfect as we all are and sometimes it's hard to take their know-it-all demeanor that seems to come from them believing in their own myth/BS. After reading EC's book, decided to stay away from the genre.

FWIW, agree that CSN&Y all did their best work early on.

Never liked the Doors stuff until LA Woman album, which seemed to be their most polished work and it swings. Had to chuckle when DC made a crack about Jim having to expose himself to make up for his other inadequacies.

Never thought of Steely Dan as a band, but a project. Aja was recorded with a boatload of musicians whose instrumental skills and musicality surpass any and all the rock super groups that ever existed...Wayne Shorter, Carlton, Ritenour, Rainey, Keltner, Joe Sample (could keep going)... and I like what Fagen and Becker had them play, can understand that some don't get or dig it.

Find comments related to sales/popularity as a measure of greatness kind of strange. Mc Donald's sells the most burgers; they don't qualify as even mediocre to me. But taste is personal.

zep41

I mildly like the Doors and like CSN/Y better.

But something tells me that David Crosby would love it if the world "truly understood" that he was the most important rock and roller that ever existed.

I could be wrong, but that sure is how he comes off.

He wrote what - like 5 or 6 songs that actually mattered. Creativity? David, you are almost 80 years old.

PRW

I do not like The Doors. I didn't like The Doors then, I still don't like them now. I do not own any of their music and I turn their music off if it comes on the radio.

I like Steely Dan.

I respect and am not going to argue with or insult or try to convert anyone who feels differently.

I don't think reciprocity is too much to ask from everyone who's acting like someone who doesn't like The Doors is taking a leak on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.

57gold

Gold Supporting Member
I don't think reciprocity is too much to ask from everyone who's acting like someone who doesn't like The Doors is taking a leak on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.
Now that's funny...thanks for the LOL moment.

Reactions: PRW

jiml

Gold Supporting Member
The Doors were the STP of their day.
Good band, good songs, and a show-stealing frontman who couldn't keep his **** together.
Hmmmm.....not sure I agree, but the parallels are there...

The remaining Doors never really did much after Jim passed; kinda the same as STP.

Not sure if Scott W was the cultural icon that Jim M was. Kurt Cobain would be that for the grunge group.

DeLeo Brothers were much better songwriters then the Doors guys.

SnidelyWhiplash

Silver Supporting Member
I actually prefer that era's candor over the nicey, nicey publicity
releases that are the norm nowadays. He has every right to state
whatever he damned well pleases. No law says i have to agree, or
disagree. :cool:

I like the Doors. Very individualistic sound.

Hawking

Entitled to his opinion, I don't agree with most of them. Not sure what anyone gains by bashing others, but if I was in his shoes, given his medical history, I'd probably not care what anyone else thinks about what I say..
I don't love the Doors but Jim must have stolen a few girlfriends, he's been publicly hating on them for years and Jim's been dead since 1971. He's a very bitter guy.

GrungeMan

I don't know what you may understand but of those people you mentioned I'll bet many of them disagree with David, and thank god none of them tried to be Jim lol but other big names took directly from The Doors and some are in the RRHF.
Yes musicians disagree all the time such as we do, that was one of my points. As for bands of that era, again they were inspired by Dylan & the Beatles then they forged their own path. I don't know who of the 60's bands wanted to be Morrison and the Doors though??? You??? Byrds, BS, Burrito Bros, Poco, Loggins & Messina, Manassas, Eagles, Firefall, America... all followed the same path into the early 70's. I like all these bands the Doors include. I may not agree with their out-there actions or statements and... I'm not gonna call any of them POS because of their antics or opinions...

Last edited:

Pablomago

I liked the Doors, and I like David. I've hung out with him. He's a good guy. Opinionated as all get out, but a good guy. It's too bad that CSN with or without Y will never make music together again. I wish they could all spend a week or so with a good therapist without wives or girlfriends and work their bad blood out.

Graham wrote some stuff in his bio about Crosby that weren't true and David took offense to it. Then Graham "did a Neil" and dumped his wife of many years for a much younger woman. I don't think David thought much of that either. Oh, well. You can't control someone else's personal life.

I'm just glad I got to see CN, CSN and CSN&Y as many times as I did.

i didn't say i agreed w/ the dude, just that he's entitled to his opinion and that he WAS THERE
Yes, in various states of consciousness, David was there. But he loved conspiracy theories and took dislike as to people for both valid and frivolous reasons, in my view. I am suggesting, you can be there and still get the gist of what happened entirely wrong. I idolize Steve Stills and his work but he's the champion of the mis-remembered event or chain of events. Sometimes I wonder if their altered states of mind helped set up the fantastic music they created and in the case of these two, still do create. People who are "better behaved" would be better witnesses. Better to talk to Ritchie Furay and see what he says.

Simon

Silver Supporting Member
Well, Dylan was there already - and, even though I love The Doors, Dylan really owns the title of 'rock's poet'.

I do think that Morrison made poetry (and philosophy, art, cinema, etc.) a little more accessible to a certain generation, but I think his efforts were misplaced: he misread his incredibly innate sense for melody as a talent for poetry. Indeed, his poetry might be seen as a personalised technique to notate musical ideas given his lack of formal musical training: this function came to be filled by the other Doors upon the formation of the group, as they translated Morrison's words and rhythms into music. Dylan's words propel themselves with some kind of irrepressible internal combustion irrespective of accompaniment (i.e. Subterranean Homesick Blues, Gates of Eden), whereas Morrison's ideas needed the sympathetic talents of his fellow band members to find their best expression in music.
From what I understand it was all only poetry until his college friend Manzarek told him his writings were the coolest lyrics He'd ever read.
I don't think before the band he envisioned his writings being put to music.

I suspect a lot of haters on Jim are from his values, not his voice.For me, yanking on the Doors is like yanking on the Beatles. Here is what I don't care for of the Doors, Light my Fire. Why? Hard to love a song played 10 billion times for every occasion. But that right there tells you, folks really like them. And I wonder if it is more popular than any CSN song. BTW, I love early CSN
It could be that TGP is not a good cross section of people of the Doors era. My recollection was, people were blown away by the whole band and not just Jim; they liked the quality of the songwriting and credited Ray with a lot of the music and Jim executed the vocals and the show business aspect of it. People kept expecting new releases even better than Light My Fire and in time, when that didn't happen they looked for answers and when Jim was always out of his mind, they looked to blame him and when he got arrested, they were disappointed with him for not having his schidt together. Which is not parallel to the Beatles in any real way.

I bought the Light My Fire 7" the moment it dropped (and later the album) and we learned and practiced all this stuff to exhaustion. But I couldn't pull off the keyboards part consistently and neither I or the other singer wanted to destroy our voices trying to be Jim, so we fell back on "Hello, I love you" and a couple others as covers. We never played CSN covers - we didn't have the right voices for that either. But anyway I personally would say that a number of CSN songs eclipse Light My Fire and that this song hasn't got a universe of applications at all.

Fred McMurray

So much drama with the CSNY gang...ALWAYS. Despite the egos, I find that all of these guys (and Crosby especially) approach music with humility and reverence. Still, it's hard to separate out all the great music they created together from the drama - it didn't all happen in a vacuum. Crosby's latest releases are truly amazing. I'm still enjoying discovering some rare outtakes from his first solo recording - there's a lot out there on the interwebs...

Trending Topics