david grissom and bad cat question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wsaraceni, Jul 6, 2005.

1. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

i have a hot cat 30r now and love every bit of it. I was thinking of adding another amp to my collection and was thinking of a vintage marshall amp but after listening to the clips and reading reviews i was thinking that the wild cat might be closer to what i need. Has anyone played a wild cat. the most i know is what i've read on the harmony-central reviews and some threads here searching. some-people said it is kinda plexi-like. some say other stuff.

i really like the tone of the david grissom clip on bad cat's site. what is his new "custom shop wild cat"????

"For the past 2 years my main amp has been a Wild Cat. My new custom shop Wild Cat takes that amp to an even deeper level of tone...I couldn't be happier."
    David Grissom - John Cougar Mellencamp, Dixie Chicks

2. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I just sold a 2x12 Wild Cat. Awesome amp, very up front sounding. Plexi type of sound but fatter, not harsh. I sold it because it was very heavy. I might get a head later. You can use the two channels for different tones.

3. GAT

By the way, I think they are much better than the Hot Cats, I had two but preferred the Wild Cat, just fatter and definately held up during live shows. I think it is the best Bad Cat.

4. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

sounds good. i'll need to try one out. how much gain does it have. im looking for something that does nice mid-gain tones to slightly higher than that. think warren haynes tones or older classic rock. eric johnson levels of gain even.

5. GAT

It has plenty of gain for that Grissom sound, maybe a bit more than on the clips, but man it sings. I did an outdoor show last summer with Johnny A. and used a Hot Cat and the Wild Cat. I ended up using the Wild Cat most of the show because when I switched to the Hot Cat, it got lost, but not the Wild Cat. After that show I sold both my Hot Cats. It sounds very rich and fat with out that much gain. In other words, it lets you stand out with a lot of sustain with a "cleaner" lead tone, just like Grissom's.
    It does not have as much gain or high end as the Hot Cat.

Call Stu at Fat Sound to get info, etc. I've been looking for a used head, but none to be found. I don't think they sell many but they have one of the most organic, lead tones around. It has a stout midrange, but it is not nasal sounding. The combo is great for almost any gig, but it weighs a ton.

I'm using Brunos, Komets, and Germinos now, but I still want a Wildcat Head.

6. JPenn

JPenn Member

You should email either Bad Cat or Grissom. Lots of folks have emailed him and got a very informative and friendly response.

7. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

how would you compare to the amps you have listed there. the only reason i was thinking the wild cat is from the grissom clip and because i am sooo happy with my hot cat 30r head. i figure if they got the hot cat this perfect, and the cub II i used to have was perfect, the wild cat might be perfect :D

8. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

also. anyone see keith urban on live 8. was he playing through the shiva most of the time or was that a wild cat. seemed he has a bad cat, 2 shivas, and a marshall but i couldnt tell what was being used. i did see a bad cat combo miked up there as well

9. GAT

The Wildcat is most like the Komet, very fat mids, tight bass and the cool highend bite. Great for classic rock, early Van Halen, ZZ Top, etc. Cleaner channel (one) has a Voxy vibe. The Komet seems more multi dimensional in it's tone, richer and more harmonics. The WC has a very strong tone, but slightly less harmonic richness.

The Bruno S100s (I have two different voiced ones) have more richness, upper mids, cleans like a really good Fender. Less classic rock sounding.

The Germinos (Lead 55, soon to get a Classic 45) are louder, more later '70s rock and roll sounding.

This, of course, is all my opinion. All the amps sound very different through different cabs and speakers. I hate the Komet through certain speakers and love it through others. Same with all amps.

I thought the Hot Cats didn't have enough energy in the mids. A lot of highs and bass, but didn't have the mids I like.

10. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

i hear that alot about the hot cat in the mids department. have you tried the new hot cat 30r? it has the mid switch where you can add and take away mids. i always use it with the mids switched to the + direction. that might cure what you felt was missing with the hot cat.

11. Cranknfrank

Cranknfrank Member

The Wild Cat has been my main amp since Oct. 2001. Grissom is my favorite player and I bought mine before he started using them. The Wild Cat is a great amp (very heavy like another guy said) but it's the only combo I've ever played that makes me happy with regard to clean and dirty tones.

Both channels are great but very different sounding. Also, like another guy said, Grissom returns e-mails and is very friendly and helpful. I think as long as you keep it brief and intelligent, you'll get a prompt response. Here are a few things about his tone. He DOES NOT use much gain on the amp. His big, bold tone comes from very open pickups (not hot there either) and POWER AMP distortion. In other words, he is driving the power tubes with volume and he uses the Klon and FD2 at different times.

So, while the Wild Cat can get a bit gainy on Channel 2, the amp gain is not going to nail Grissom's tone for you. Also, it helps to have some great hands, one of the best collections of guitars around and many years spent in Austin soaking up the vibe. Good luck.

12. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

sounds cool. im really digging the hot cat and i usually live in high gain areas but i think another amp to switch up every once and a while with some nice overdrive pedals in front would be good for when im hacking around trying to play some gov't mule tunes and such., :D

13. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

is the dirty channel on the wild cat as smooth as the hot cat? i almost think the hot cat is too smooth sometimes. i wish i had some grit. also, does the clean channel break up for nice overdriven rythms? thanks

14. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

i did send him an email finally to ask how his custom shop wild cat differs from the production model. He replied. "The differences are in the type of filter caps and the addition of tone controls on channel 2. " so it seems as if it is just slightly tweaked. im thinking the wild cat is my next amp. a hot cat and a wild cat seem like the perfect pair.

15. GAT

The guy I sold mine to may want to sell it. It sounds great. I think he wants $2300.00 Let me know and I can call him for you.

16. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

is it a head or combo? what color.

17. GAT

It is a black 2x12 combo. Standard features and speakers. It rips, IMHO :)

18. flicker180

flicker180 Member

i'm looking at getting the "r" mods done to my 2x12 Hot Cat. The midrange thing will be solved (hopefully) by my TOD-1 Demeter pedal... :)

dave

19. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

go for it. i currently have the hot cat 30r and think its a lot better than the regular hot cat 30. i love the +/0/- switch for the mids. I spend 99% of my time in the + setting

20. flicker180

flicker180 Member

the question is, can i spend 6 weeks away from my beloved amp? :)

dave