David Grissom. Current tone or Joe Ely era?

David Grissom Tone. Which do you prefer?

• Current Tone

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • Joe Ely Era Tone

Votes: 34 68.0%

• Total voters

TonyBony

This is from 1986 when Booby Keys was still in the band. David breaks a string midway through his solo on Letter to LA and has to switch to his Tele. He's playing through his old Hiwatt before it was stolen.

Phil M

Shapeshifting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Damn I love those old tones - with either the Tele or the PRS! I love the 2 Mellencamp records, too.

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, Mellencamp's "Whenever We Wanted" was also my intro to Grissom- even tho I didn't KNOW IT at the time, I just knew I loved that guitar. I also loved Larry Crane who was the original Mellencamp guitarist. Larry Crane and... crap I forget the other guys' name.

therhodeo

He had quit using the tank for the most part for touring. ABB was a short stint and probably on their house super lead they take for guests.

David himself said that it was such short notice for that gig that he went with his PRS and a fender reverb tank and had to play through Dickeys rig of newer Marshalls and David never could get a sound he liked out of it.

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
Yes, Mellencamp's "Whenever We Wanted" was also my intro to Grissom- even tho I didn't KNOW IT at the time, I just knew I loved that guitar. I also loved Larry Crane who was the original Mellencamp guitarist. Larry Crane and... crap I forget the other guys' name.
Wanchic

pjrhd28

Platinum Supporting Member
Big fan-

My favorite two:

Especially when he fingerpicks from :50 to 1:15 (or so)

And- his solo from about 3:14. Also, his lick at 3:27 is, IMHO, just about perfect:

The tone on the newer live CD is indeed much thicker and tweedier. Love it, too.

Boots sure likes to Boogie:

Tone here is great; would have been ever better if recorded better. But his solo starting at about 1 04 41 here still gives me chills. Utter joy coming from a guitar; he totally lights up a classic driving song:

direneed

Just a friendly reminder that David Grissom plays a free happy hour show TODAY June 15 from 6-8pm (and most Tuesdays) at the Saxon Pub in Austin. FREE. And sometimes Stefano Intellisano (sp?) sits in, and that guy is just as much of a monster player on the keys as Grissom is on the guitar.

Big Les

@big mike should know, but I’m pretty sure it’s PRS > 1959

I think with a Fender Reverb Tank, Arion Chorus for Leslie type sound, some sort of delay, and maybe a boost. I can’t remember exactly which pedals, but 95% sure it was a 72’ 1959
The chorus for the rotary sound was a TC Electronic SCF. He wasn't into the Arion Chorus until Lee Jackson turned him on to them around the time Storyville got started.

Big Les

Yeah Marshall 4/12
Greenbacks
Dunno if that meant h or m.
On the Ely and McMurtry ACL shows he used a PRS HG 4X12. Paul Smith said the speakers were high powered Greenbacks at 50 watts. Eric Pritchard (who designed the HG amp series for PRS) later said the speakers were just unlabeled Vintage 30's.

big mike

Cathode biased
David himself said that it was such short notice for that gig that he went with his PRS and a fender reverb tank and had to play through Dickeys rig of newer Marshalls and David never could get a sound he liked out of it.
I have a bootleg somewhere
Sounds fantastic

Yer Blues

This is from 1986 when Booby Keys was still in the band. David breaks a string midway through his solo on Letter to LA and has to switch to his Tele. He's playing through his old Hiwatt before it was stolen.

He had a Hiwatt stolen? I heard a podcast with him and he said he had one of those vintage Marshall's stolen.... I think he said it was maybe San Francisco and it was right after he got his first PRS. He took the guitars out of the trailer to restring them in his room and the trailer got broken in to that night. Maybe that was the Hiwatt though and I'm mixing it up?

dohootowl

Silver Supporting Member
I voted "Ely" but really, it's just nostalgia for me. I remember being so excited to go in and try a new PRS DG at Guitar Sanctuary in McKinney, TX. Oh, it looked sweet, but...I could not play the damned thing. Maybe if it didn't have 11's on it but I don't think so because I have played 11's on others and don't remember it being such a struggle.

But David can get around it well.

TonyBony

He had a Hiwatt stolen? I heard a podcast with him and he said he had one of those vintage Marshall's stolen.... I think he said it was maybe San Francisco and it was right after he got his first PRS. He took the guitars out of the trailer to restring them in his room and the trailer got broken in to that night. Maybe that was the Hiwatt though and I'm mixing it up?
I had read about the bands gear being stolen in San Francisco, but I think his Hiwatt got stolen before that, pretty early into his time with Ely. He mentioned it during an interview I watched on YouTube. I will see if I can find it and post it because it was a really interesting interview.

Last edited:

dbeeman

Big fan-

My favorite two:

Especially when he fingerpicks from :50 to 1:15 (or so)

And- his solo from about 3:14. Also, his lick at 3:27 is, IMHO, just about perfect:

The tone on the newer live CD is indeed much thicker and tweedier. Love it, too.

Boots sure likes to Boogie:

Tone here is great; would have been ever better if recorded better. But his solo starting at about 1 04 41 here still gives me chills. Utter joy coming from a guitar; he totally lights up a classic driving song:

to dark imho, still great playing

SL_22

I like both. But voted for his current tone.
Like EJ, I think his live tone is better than his recorded studio tone.
Seen him a number of times at the Saxon. One of the things I look forward to is what amp he hauls in.
Most of the time it is one of his DG custom 30's & matching 2x12. But I have seen him use a Two Rock classic reverb signature, a bloomfield drive, & a Jim Kelley.
Although he sounded great through all of them, I preferred the Jim Kelley.
His current tone is fat & warm. I like to sit close to his amps and have never came away with ringing ears or thinking his sound was too loud or harsh.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom