David Grissom PRS on a budget?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jtwang, Aug 29, 2008.

1. jtwang

jtwang Member

I'm lusting after a guitar like David Grissom's signature PRS; really good classic PAF/Les Paul sounds + nice coil split options + trem + playability, balance and workmanship. Problem is that the DGT is way over my budget. My budget is more in the PRS CE22 maple on mahogany neighbourhood, a guitar I'm seriosly considering by the way (possible pickup swap included). I'm thinking that the bolt on maple neck would take much of the classic LP vibe out of the sound though.

Any other suggestions? I'm all ears.

2. gregory49

gregory49 Member

if you want the DGT save up and get it. That's the only way I would be happy.. I'm not sure about yourself

3. codyj84

codyj84 Member

Yup.... I concur. I played one just the other night (belongs to mprvise) and I must say it was the best feeling guitar Ive had the opportunity to play. They're magic. Never thought I'd say that about a PRS.....

Save....save....save....

4. Mark C

Mark C Member

Well, I bet you could get in the neighborhood with a used custom 22 trem with wide-fat neck and get some PAFish pickups with coil tapping. Main difference would be the Grissom's slightly slimmer neck (in between regular carve and wide-fat), Bigger frets and, I think, 1/4" thicker body. Oh, and the extra volume pot, but you could put in a concentric pot to give you two volume controls in one spot.

Unless you are really picky, I bet this would be pretty darned close.

5. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I've had about 6 PRS guitars and a lot of Gibson Les Pauls...save up and get a Grissom. There will be some used ones coming up. I LOVE mine, it's my favorite humbucker guitar and it is just stunning how good it sounds and plays.

Here is mine:

[​IMG]

6. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

How heavy are the Grissoms?

7. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Member

Get the DGT.

I've seen them little over seven up to nine-ish.

8. madstrat

madstrat Member

aren't they mccarty thickness???

or am i trippin'?

9. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Member

yes, they are.

I love mine so much!

10. grapeshot

grapeshot Supporting Member

My DGT is 7lbs 7oz. You need to be patient for a lighter/sub-8lbs one. They average about 8 - 8.5 lbs.

11. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Member

I feel like mine is in the 10 to 15 pound range....but I just don't care ;)

12. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Member

13. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Mine is about 8-8.5, not bad at all.

14. AD

AD Supporting Member

Mine is in the 8.5 lb range and just a joy to play.....pretty much the same as GAT, i've owned a bunch of PRS, Historics, and other boutique double humbucker guitars and i'm very satisfied with the DGT. I'm surprised at how PHAT the tone is considering it's a double cut away. really good clean tones - the pups are stellar.

to the OP, maybe get a used McCarty (with trem) to get a similar tone.

15. jtwang

jtwang Member

Guys,
    thanks for the replies. Didn't cure my GAS though - quite the opposite. That said, I mentioned the DGT mainly as an example of a combo of factors I'm looking for in a guitar right now. As great as the DGT is, I really hoped there were a couple of more moderately priced alternatives to consider. Not necessarily a PRS, but key words are great vintage-ish PAF sound, playability and trem. Well put together and passable split options is nice too. Ah, ****, who am I kidding, I might as well start saving...

16. JPenn

JPenn Member

You know I just remembered, I had a Hamer back in the mid 80's that was (probably) mahogany, set neck, 22 frets, trem, 2 hums, 2vol/1tone/3-way. It didn't do split tones, but that could be changed. I don't have a clue what the model was. You might see if you could find one of those.

17. TopDog

TopDog "jumping the valence" Silver Supporting Member

Great guitar-

Get black or gold with out the birds, you'll get the same tone and playability for less price....

I did. I got a black one. I could not be happier!

18. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Probably something like this? ('06 Studio Custom I custom ordered)
    [​IMG]

Fills my LP-with-a-trem needs, but it costs the same as a Grissom does now when I bought it.

Then there's this Hamer, a Mirage II:
    [​IMG]

But it has a Fender scale and tonewise, I imagine it's more CU22-ish. In terms of American-made production guitars, I don't think there's anything out there like the DGT. So I'd recommend keeping your eye out on the used market for a basic model. That's my plan (although I'm thinking the neck shape and nitro finish are going to turn me off).

-Austin

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  19. mprvise

mprvise Member

Another vote for save up. I've played several PRS guitars, a few I even thought about buying. The DGT was the first one I actually ended up purchasing. Just a great guitar in every way, and everybody who plays mine instantly falls in love (or at least in lust).

[​IMG]

20. gitman

gitman Member

Hamer Mirage maybe ? a really good alternative is a Custom 22/trem. those can be had for $ 1100-1500,- , great guitars and with a different set op pups (low wind PAF-ish) you're pretty much good.