David Grissom

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by arothamel6360, Feb 3, 2012.

1. arothamel6360

arothamel6360 Member

I've recently become aware of David Grissom through the popularity of his PRS model around here, but I have to admit I'm clueless where to begin when trying to become familiar with his music? Who is he, and why is he so popular? I'd rather get honest opinion rather than reading wikipedia. Please, school me.

2. DarrenTD

DarrenTD Member

I got into him through this band:

3. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

http://www.davidgrissom.com/ His website can tell you more about his history than I can, but he has played with some pretty heavy hitters.

As far as becoming familiar with his music, here are a few things to look for. His solo stuff is a little harder to find, but WELL worth it. Both have VERY REGULAR rotation on my mp3 player.

Storyville - w/ David Holt, Malford Milligan, & SRV's rhythm section (Tommy Shannon & Chris Layton). They have 3 or 4 records out(I think) that are stellar. Great songs, great musicianship, and a great singer.

John Mellencamp in the early '90s - "Whenever We Wanted" is my favorite

Joe Ely in the '80s- "Live At Liberty Lunch" being my favorite

Dixie Chicks

Solo - "Loud Music" "10,000 Feet" "Way Down Deep"

4. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

^ Good post.

Grissom is THE reason I bought my McCarty back in 96. Man he was squeezing some sounds out of one and a Marshall 1/2 stack the first time I saw Storryville.

5. arothamel6360

arothamel6360 Member

Thanks guys. Man, I was missing out on some great playing. My curiosity was peaked after I saw a post with a video of him and Paul Reed Smith discussing the design of his DGT. That had to be some of the best woody overdriven tone I've heard in a while. Definitely a pleasant surprise.

6. Steve73

Steve73 Member

Yeah, GGWWB pretty much nailed my fav Grissom stuff. If you can find his 2 dvd Hot Licks instructional vids, I highly recommended them as well.

7. loudboy

loudboy Member

Live at Liberty Lunch

The first 3 James McMurtry records

8. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

Here's a recent vid of David, showcasing some killer tone and playing:

9. 66Park

66Park Member

Storyville without a doubt in my opinion - a fantastic band that was criminally under appreciated by the public.

10. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

First became aware of Grissom seeing him with Joe Ely on Austin City Limits around 1990. I 'almost' turned the channel as I had no idea at the time who Joe Ely was, but noticed his guitarist had a couple of old Marshall 1/2 stacks setup behind him, so I figured it was worth a listen. :D No idea at that time who the guitarist was, but his playing and tone were totally BADASS on that show - and he just blew me away! Saw in the credits at the shows end that the guitarist was David Grissom, and have been a fan ever since.

For sure get 'Live at Liberty Lunch' with Ely. Great example of him letting loose in a live setting. Here's a sample of his live playing from that period. I think that after listening to this - you'll understand 'WHY' he's popular!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  11. loudboy

loudboy Member

IMHO, That solo at 1:48 is all that's good about rock guitar...