David Holt's Gear?

johnh

There are plenty of threads covering David Grissom's gear. However, I've started to get into David Holt's playing on the live Storyville DVD and his tone is also absolutely cool. Does anyone know anything about the black strat he plays, which Marshalls (or other amps) he uses and which pedals he boosts his sound with?

I've tried the search feature and drew a blank.

johnh

No, it's the Autsin Texas guitarist from Storyville. He seems to mainly play a black maple-board strat through a Marshall head, but he gets the most amazing gutsy tone.

I've just ordered the Storyville DVD so once I get it, it might reveal some more details.

jtindle

Anybody know what he's doing now or what he did before Storyville? I would like to hear more of his playing.

Jeff

johnh

Apparently he has a solo album out, called "Perpetual Motion". I have just ordered one from a US website, so I'm hoping it's good. Without seeing Storyville before, I had presumed that Dave Grissom took all the solos, but I'm only now coming to realise that David Holt actually played some of the solos too, and they sound great.

burstone

IIRC, I read somewhere that he uses a '72 50W Marshall (Bass head, possibly) and uses Klon and Tube Driver for boost and solos. He also uses leslie-like effect (Arion Chorus?) often that sounds great. And I believe the strat is some Fender Custom Shop model.

johnh

Cool info guys. Hopefully someone will come along who knows some more details on his strat now - sounds like quite beefy pickups on the DVD. I'm keen to find out what they actually are.

wichita

I think the strat is a custom shop Fender that he got during the Storyville days.

When we did the Solo record at my studio he used a large box 50 watt Marshall. An early 70's piece I think..
Chandler Tube driver for gain.

Tommy Taylor played drums, Mark Andes played Bass and I actually played some parts here and there like the 12 String stuff on Mistaken Identity but was not credited on the final artwork.
We all sang background on that song as well, but David did all the vocals on the rest of the disk himself.

David also had a Twin Reverb that we didn't really use on the disk. It was all the Marshall and Amp Farm. Amp farm for the vox sounding things for sure.

On Wheels Fall Off David did a scratch track through the Amp Farm doing a Marshall that we all liked so much that we kept.

CDaughtry

Lance,
You did a great job producing that record. It is in my constant rotation. The mix is really nice.

gillibi

Silver Supporting Member
The Strat has Fender Fat 50's pups in it.

Pedalboard has Klon, Tube Driver, TC Chorus...and I believe he uses a Boss RV-5 on top of his amp.

johnh

Thanks guys. I've been listening to Perpetual Motion non stop for a week now. To my ears its a much better album than either of the Grissom solo albums - sorry if that's blasphemy to many folks.

Anyway - it's great to hear about his gear. He sure get's a meaty sound out of his strats. Really earthy, gritty tone.

rickc007

Gold Supporting Member
Great thread, I just discovered Storyville about a year ago
when I moved to Austin. They played together at Antones.
May have actually been a Ray Hennings birthday bash.

Either way, David Holt has wicked tone, I went and
checked his pedal board, and there Klon and Butler Tube Driver.
I dig the bite he gets out of his leads.

Fortunately I get to see him play a bit down here
He is currently playing at Saxon Pub on Thursday nights
Really tastey music, Tommy Shannon on bass, Frosty on drums
Gabe Rhodes (Tele thru a Vibrolux), Will Sexton sits in on some
songs ... Great Set

I too read somewhere that he has Fat 50's in the Black
Strat. At Saxon he plays a white one a bit, and red Tele sometimes
Both pictured below.
He uses a Dr Z, Maz 18NR and a Fender Bassman
Sounds fantastic through both of them.

Holt should really be in a recording band, or doing another solo record.
Or better yet ... Storyville ... REUNITE

gillibi

Silver Supporting Member
Cool, thanks for the pics!!

I believe that white Strat is pictured in his solo CD's booklet, such a great album.

telesquire

Last year I found out that David Holt and Malford Milligan were forming a new band called Eighty Sixxed, and were to release a new cd this year. I bookmarked their MySpace page and now that account has been closed....so things aren't looking so promising.Any ideas Lance what happened? Cheers.

rickc007

Gold Supporting Member
Last year I found out that David Holt and Malford Milligan were forming a new band called Eighty Sixxed, and were to release a new cd this year. I bookmarked their MySpace page and now that account has been closed....so things aren't looking so promising.Any ideas Lance what happened? Cheers.
Think they started as Eighty Sixxed

Then I saw them at a show, where they said they were Storyville
and were playing a few of Storyvilles songs.
Was hard not to get really excited cuz they were SOOOO GOOD.

They also mentioned that they were going in the studio

But it has since been revealed that that has been kaboshed.
No reason given, I'm curious too, but not going to ask :)

Malford is all over the place here in Austin
Doesn't seem tied to any one thing

Thought I heard David Grissom was back with the Dixie Chicks somehow.
He plays here locally a bit too. Saw him play acoustic with The Resentments.
Was FANTASTIC
He played his ring off . Literally, his wedding ring went flying in the crowd
during one solo

David Holt and Tommy Shannon play at Saxon.
David Holts solo album is a favorite of mine.
Wish he'd play his solo stuff at Saxon, but last night they closed
with Tobacco Road. Aint heard that since I trashed my Edgar Winter
Road Work Album.
Great Player, Good Stuff

Chris Layton plays local quite a bit, think every Tuesday for Blues night
at Antone's

As much as I like these guys solo....
When they all get together, Magic Happens

They're all local ....

Fingers still crossed ....

Trending Topics