David Torn, An Older Soundtrack

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by kodecar, Jan 27, 2012.

1. kodecar

kodecar Member

Hello all,
    Forgive me if this is old news but a cursory search didn't show me anything.

Ideas watching the movie "A Knights Tale" with the late Heath Ledger the other day when one of the pieces of music in the film's score caught my ear. It's not one of the many well-known classic rock songs scattered throughout the movie but rather a mood piece(?) during a relatively brief scene with no dialog. Great guitar part in it though

I scanned the credits looking for the song or artists name when I saw the credit; Solo Guitar, David Torn. I thought that was very cool. One, someone I know in the remotest of ways laid down the score on the movie I had just watched and two, that the films Producer/Director thought enough to include the individual studio musicians in the films credits.

Splatt; if you're out there, extremely belated congratulations. I just purchased a copy of the movie so I hope you will get my $.03 soon.

Is there anything you might elaborate on regarding the gig. Guitar(s) and amp(s) used? I don't suppose you were playing the Teuffel at that point?

Take care all.

2. GA20T

GA20T Member

The soundtrack to Lars And The Real Girl is one that stuck with me after the movie. I mentioned it in passing in a soundtracks thread or something or other, and a member pointed out that he posts here, under a name I was quite familiar with from previous threads. Talented dude, that Mr. Torn.

3. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

thanks, kodecar.

while i (largely, mostly) was given very broad creative latitude on that film score,
    it was not actually "my" score.....
    the score belongs to my friend, carter burwell.
    as it was a non-Union score, there are no royalties nor residuals coming my way from that film.
    (this is not the case for any Union-signatory scores to which i've contributed.)

no worries, in this case, though; i was paid handsomely for my work, there!

my own scores include:
    the order (also w/heath ledger), lars & the real girl, friday night lights (film, not tv), everything must go, the wackness,
    the line, anvil! the story of anvil, teenage paparazzi, believe in me, jesus henry christ, etc etc etc
    as well, there are quite a few scores on "big" films to which i've contributed mightily;
    steven soderbergh's "traffic", for example.

"a knight's tale" was a score on which i played my teuffel teslas.
    while i wouldn't be able to remember some of the gear-specifics,
    i can recall these:

2x custom teuffel teslas
    modified rivera m100 (guitar amp), + 2x rivera 100 duo twelve amps (for fx & looping), all w/celestion speakers in open-nacked cabs
    visual volume pedal
    tc sustain/para/EQ pedal
    guyatone wr2 pedal
    tx XII-stage phaser
    modified lexicon pcm42 (arrhythmic loops)
    lexicon pcm80
    oberheim echoplex digital pro (rhythmic loops)
    electrix repeater (multitrack rhythmic loops, triggered loops)
    m-audio keyboard (for triggering & re-pitching electrix repeater loops)
    korg electribe ES1 (for rhythmifying pcm42 loops)
    olympus micro-cassette recorder

national 1155E acoustic guitar
    ithaca stringed instruments acoustic guitar

hth!

4. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

David:

I remember watching "Friday Night Lights" and really being grabbed by the music, and then wading through the credits to find it was you. I not compelled to do that very often. I will will have to see more of the films you listed above just to check out your contributions.

5. kodecar

kodecar Member

David,
    Thanks so much for the great reply.

I wish that I had the attention span as a youth to have learned the instrument rather than hacking through a few things and calling it good.

I appreciate the forums that give a lifelong collector wannabe a chance to rub virtual elbows with a true master of the instrument.

Take care,
    Derek

6. Kelly

Kelly Member

Indeed!

7. splatt

no problem, gents..... you're welcome!

8. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

Hey, if you guys like Splatt's soundtrack stuff, you might like Michael Whalen's Shape of Life. Was recorded for a PBS series, IIRC. It's not guitar heavy, but it is a gorgeous piece of work. :aok

9. splatt

i think i did a lot of textural work on that, ┬┐no?
    i think so!

10. sahhas

sahhas Member

the order is very good (soundtrack)! actually i thought the movie was good too.

"believe in me" was also very good (movie) and i loved the soundtrack to it also!!!!

i remember watching traffic, and there were a bunch of scenes that i thought, "wow that sounds like DT", and then in watching the credits, it was him....had the same feeling about "friday night lights" movie...

11. riker4208

riker4208 Member

Yeah, I just checked out some tracks from "Traffic" on youtube. Killer.