• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

David Torn - Painting With Guitar (Explode your view of what can be done w/a guitar!)

Tonefish

WOW....I guess I'm a bit slow, having hung around here for years and listened to some of David's (Splatt) work, but never realized he's one of those rare guys that, long ago:D, pushed...and still does, the guitar waaaaaay beyond what most of us think of as it's capability space.:eek:

So I just checked out the 14 part series on YouTube "~David Torn Painting with Guitar" and he just exploded my view of what can be done with a guitar.:bow

Dang...where I have I been:jo

So if you haven't seen this, I would highly recommend you do...and if I can ever see this guy live...I'm going!!!

Cheers to David!! :BEER

fretless

Silver Supporting Member
I love his approach towards playing music. Some call it "textural", which I suppose is appropriate. Count me a as a huge fan. As a whole I find "guitar" albums boring beyond tears, however what Torn does is redefines that genre. He's a true, unique artist.

I remember David posting here that Homespun was talking to him about possibly re-releasing that "Painting.." VHS, but this time making a DVD. Not sure how that ended up, but I'd KILL to have a DVD copy.

M

Member 995

I'm tempted to watch it, but I suspect it is up there illegally . . .

KRosser

David is one of those rare guys that can look forward, backward & sideways at guitar history & technology and keep coming up with a fresh way of hearing it. I've been fortunate enough to see David up close and informal many times just doing what he does and it never fails to excite and inspire.

I own and love that video, but I'll tell you a lot of what's on there is dated compared to what he's doing now.

Tonefish

I'm tempted to watch it, but I suspect it is up there illegally . . .
Gee...I hadn't even thought of that...especially since it looks to be 20 or more years old.

That said, I'll nuke this thread in a flash if this is not legit. (let me know by PM please)

M

Member 995

Gee...I hadn't even thought of that...especially since it looks to be 20 or more years old.

That said, I'll nuke this thread in a flash if this is not legit. (let me know by PM please)
Not sure what splatt's take on it would be. If you conscience bugs you, pick up a few CDs. I highly recommend Splattercell's "OAH" and the "Prezens" disc with Taborn, Kerne, and Rainey.

Bryan

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
thanks for paying attention, folks.

those are..... errrmm...... "unauthorised",
afaik & afaic.

i'm not really sure how much i, personally,
care, though,
seeing as how these aren't available on DVD,
and i've not been capable of organising
the do-over / digital re-release
with the producers.

i've sent a note to the producers of the vids,
to get their feedback.

as of now,
i kinda feel that if you're getting something
of value from all that palaver,
i say g-dspeed to ya, & enjoy it!

dt / spltrcl

jimfog

The demo of using a pick as a "movable bridge" is invaluable.

To be sure, if this ever gets reissued, I'll buy a few. One for myself, and copies for students. The techno sections may be a wee bit out of date for you, DT, but the CONCEPTS are timeless.

LocustXReign

The best part about my joining the gear page has been the discovery of the stuff Splatt does. Just plain twisted.

Scott Peterson

TGP Co-Founder and Administrator
Staff member
If you watch that and don't for a second marvel at what he does/did with the technology available... David bends the gear to his will to create sonic soundscapes. It's beyond just 'playing guitar' and goes into a completely different arena.

I've been a fan of David's since way back; but I'd never seen that before.

strata189

Killer stuff! Although, as others have mentioned, it's creepy watching illegal vids of someone that hangs at your forum. On the other hand, maybe a spike in views could be a wakeup call for the producers...

Randall

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
more thanks for the kind attention,
peoples.

happy traum, the producer of that set,
just informed me that:
a) he's going to try to pull these vids from youtube, &
b) he is, indeed, going to release these vids
in the very near future (as a digital download, only),
precisely as they are:
apparently, he really does want me to try to find the time
to update & addend them.

some things just take a while, it seems.

again:
thanks, all.

dt / spltrcl

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
oh, an updated version of these WOULD BE MOST ENJOYABLE!
i bought the set of these vids about 7 yrs ago, and i've watched them
quite a bit.
always something to learn on them!

on a side note-i remember some talk after prezens came out that ECM might release a live version (or live in studio?) of the DT/prezens band in action? any truth to this in the near or distant future? that would be most wonderous also.......

s----

www.myspace.com/scotthansen
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=235503632389016121
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5791548553161416906&hl=en

kludge

The droid you're looking for
I'd like to see downloadable versions of other old vids in that line, too. Adrian Belew's video from that series was a huge eye-opener for me way back when. I remember watching his POG go out of control and start generating notes on his own, and he was just laughing with delight.

Watching these on Youtube today (well, mostly listening, but some watching when needed), and one bit of advice was good enough to work its way into my .sig.

KRosser

oh, an updated version of these WOULD BE MOST ENJOYABLE!
i bought the set of these vids about 7 yrs ago, and i've watched them
quite a bit.
always something to learn on them!

on a side note-i remember some talk after prezens came out that ECM might release a live version (or live in studio?) of the DT/prezens band in action? any truth to this in the near or distant future? that would be most wonderous also.......

s----

www.myspace.com/scotthansen
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=235503632389016121
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5791548553161416906&hl=en
More than truth - there's a link!

http://www.screwgunrecords.com/mp3s.php?pageid=mp3s

First one at the top. It's fantastic!

Trending Topics