David Yow on "Love The One You're With"

Jon C

Silver Supporting Member
I never heard of David Yow until 5 minutes ago (and may not have the same passion about hating the song) but I agree that this is one of Stills's lesser songs, I love Stills but always thought this was shallow & insipid, but people love(d) it... oh, well. :cool:

soulohio

I helped pass Yow over our heads at the Euclid Tavern while he surfed from the stage to the bar... the guy is an incredible frontman and really held a crowd... all hail Jesus Lizard!!!

and I just remembered... Season to Risk opened¡¡ raw kin baby¡ I always thought they were the true progression of heavy metal...

Last edited:

aman74

Silver Supporting Member
I helped pass Yow over our heads at the Euclid Tavern while he surfed from the stage to the bar... the guy is an incredible frontman and really held a crowd... all hail Jesus Lizard!!!
Great shows at The Euc!

aman74

Silver Supporting Member
Never heard of this guy or his bands. Sounds like he has a big ego and violent tendencies. He mentioned a couple of times he wants to choke Stills for writing that song.
Well, guess what? Stills will be in the history books as one of the great songwriters of the 20th century. This guy will die a bitter forgotten old man.
Yow is already in the books, just not the ones you prefer. This shouldn't have to be said, but he's not serious about the violence...and whether it's anyone's preference or not, that's the spirit of that series of articles.

Jon C

Silver Supporting Member
Yow is already in the books, just not the ones you prefer. This shouldn't have to be said, but he's not serious about the violence...and whether it's anyone's preference or not, that's the spirit of that series of articles.
I took it as tongue in cheek, not that he really wanted to go after Stills. :cool:

bugzapper

I don't know how anyone can choose to focus the their song-hate on a pretty OK CSN song when Green Day exists.

StratoCraig

I liked Tom Rapp's response to "Love the One You're With" in his song "Love/Sex":

"If you don't love the one you're with, why don't you just wait for the one you love?"

Bmused

Gold Supporting Member
If nothing..."Love the One Your With" is great just for the way the organ solo comes in, IMHO. Love the percussion, too.

Chrome Dinette

Never heard of this guy or his bands. Sounds like he has a big ego and violent tendencies. He mentioned a couple of times he wants to choke Stills for writing that song.
Well, guess what? Stills will be in the history books as one of the great songwriters of the 20th century. This guy will die a bitter forgotten old man.

Aha, defiant ignorance as badge of honor.

minorseventh

I had a band in 96 and we covered "boilermaker" from The Jesus Lizard, and I sang. Key fact is that I do not and cannot sing, thus I was the perfect candidate!
I love that guy.

EricPeterson

I personally think that entire AV Club series is kind of silly and ill conceived and executed, and the "haters" come off poorly in an attempt to be funny.

Trending Topics