David Yow on "Love The One You're With"

loudboy

He's an idiot and totally misunderstands the meaning of the lyrics. Talk about your shallow and insipid half baked music critics. Take a bow.
The intent of the lyrics is pretty clear - not a lot to interpret there.

Don't be angry, don't be sad
Don't sit crying over good times you've had
Well there's a girl sitting right next to you
And she's just waiting for something to do

Well there's a rose in a fisted glove
And the eagle flies with the dove
And if you can't be with the one you love, honey
Love the one you're with
You gotta love the one you're with

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
The only thing that I really hate is stupidity, and this song is pretty ****ing stupid.
:roll
The song would never be on my list however, because the lyrics are fairly ignore-able and the music is pretty kickin'
-
Austin

hellbender

The intent of the lyrics is pretty clear - not a lot to interpret there.

Don't be angry, don't be sad
Don't sit crying over good times you've had
Well there's a girl sitting right next to you
And she's just waiting for something to do

Well there's a rose in a fisted glove
And the eagle flies with the dove
And if you can't be with the one you love, honey
Love the one you're with
A lot of Stills music is written metaphorically. It's what attracts me and others to his work. When you divorce yourself from the literal in your songwriting, you open up many interpretations for your listeners and fans. It would be really doing a disservice to Steve and his songwriting legacy to pass this song off as it has been represented in this thread. Kind of like writing, "so excuse me while I kiss the sky" and believe that the writer is actually telling the listener he "kissed the sky". You can get out of it what you wish but for me the song is about inter-personal relationships of all types, not banging some chick. Please!

loudboy

A lot of Stills music is written metaphorically. It's what attracts me and others to his work. When you divorce yourself from the literal in your songwriting, you open up many interpretations for your listeners and fans. It would be really doing a disservice to Steve and his songwriting legacy to pass this song off as it has been represented in this thread. Kind of like writing, "so excuse me while I kiss the sky" and believe that the writer is actually telling the listener he "kissed the sky". You can get out of it what you wish but for me the song is about inter-personal relationships of all types, not banging some chick. Please!

bigdeal

i have always thought that song was funny. but frankly, i am a loveless bastard and i'm fine with the subject matter haha. david yow is amazing and i feel lucky i got to see jesus lizard live several times during their heyday. this interview is hilarious.

mark norwine

I have no idea who David Yow is....

Even though that song sold & charted well, I always thought that it was a dumb, toss-off pop tune. And even as a kid, I thought the notion was not a great idea. So I guess Mr. Yow & I have something in common.

But wait: because he dislikes the lyrics, he wants to "choke the life out of" Stephen Stills? That's a stupid, idiotic & irresponsible thing to say.

Moron.

Custom Deluxe

Thought the article fits Yow's persona perfectly. It's completely tounge in cheek, fellas. Relax. Your CSN reunions are safe for a few more years.

BTW: LOVE!!!!!!!! The Jesus Lizard. One of the best bands on the '90's. Period.

I clicked on this thread a week and a half ago because I always sort of liked that song. I thought the music great and the sentiments of the lyrics a little odd, but they grew on me because of the beat and the swang.
In my life as a general contractor (residential remodel) I found myself using the phrase "Love the One You're With" to clients wanting to upgrade their lives by maybe "buying up" to a newer/bigger/more up-to-date home and finding the numbers didn't crunch out. Often it makes more sense to fix up whatcha got!
I found the interview with Yow hilarious. I can see how the lyrics are kinda dumb, and never took seriously the "strangling" bit. I'm surprised anyone does! Fooks sake, mate, it's rock and roll! Everyone says outrageous stuff. I like Hellbenders "kiss the sky" analogy. (Hey man, hold this ladder steady, it'll just take a minute!)
I was familiar with JESUS LIZARD, but didn't know them well (not so much SCRATCH ACID). So I looked them up online. Great sound, Yow a great, intense performer.
In my other life, I am a rocker. I have my own band, VIRGO SUPERCLUSTER, that I play guitar in, but since 1983 I have been playing bass every few years with Punk band FLIPPER. Kind of like recurring nightmare/migraine/party. :)
OK, so I read this post on TGP. Next day I get a call from FLIPPER's drummer. I hadn't talked to him for a couple of years. He wanted to know if I was up for a few European dates in the Fall with a new singer.
Yup, David Yow.
Now THAT should be some good shows!!
Bruno

Last edited:

Neer

Silver Supporting Member
I have nothing but respect for Stills, one of the first musicians to ever find his way behind a recording console while the union guys were on break. LTOYW is a great, soulful tune. Listen to Aretha sing it and you might change your mind.

The rose in a fisted glove and the eagle/dove references simply illustrate the idea of strangers or unlikely partners uniting.

nomadh

I never thought the point was just screw someone. I always thought it was more : she don't like you! Get over it! Try that girl down the hall who laughs at your jokes.
I think still was stills trying to shake Judy Collins or was singing about that.
great organ song but probably one of my least fav stills.
probably why it was a huge hit.

sixty2strat

I never thought the point was just screw someone. I always thought it was more : she don't like you! Get over it! Try that girl down the hall who laughs at your jokes.
I think still was stills trying to shake Judy Collins or was singing about that.
great organ song but probably one of my least fav stills.
probably why it was a huge hit.
Right :better to love a person who is not exactly who or what you wanted and find happiness than to be some miserable bitter lonely *uck.....now if I would justlisten to that advice

Besides I'm sure Stills is not up late at night going wow after 45 years a fellow artist hates my song. IF he is, he cashes a royalty check from LTOYW and buys a prewar Martin D-35 and post NGD on the TGP

Last edited:

gripweed

I have to agree with him about Eddie Vedder, although if he really thinks Billy Preston was one of the Beatles I've lost any respect for him.

I don't think "Love the One You're With" is all that bad, especially compared a whole bunch of other dreck that people seem to love. Anybody remember Styx's "Mr. Roboto" or REO's "Can't Fight This Feelin'"? Man, I'm just scratchin' the surface here!

Last edited:

twanguru

Always thought Stills was updating the sentiment in "When I'm Not Near the Girl I Love" from 1947's "Finnian's Rainbow".

Lyrics by Yip Harburg ("Over The Rainbow", "It's Only A Paper Moon"):

"When I'm Not Near the Girl I Love"

Oh my heart is beating wildly
And it's all because you're here.
When I'm not near the girl I love,
I love the girl I'm near.
Ev'ry femme that flutters by me
Is a flame that must be fanned.
When I can't fondle the hand I'm fond of,
I fondle the hand at hand.
My heart's in a pickle,
It's constantly fickle
And not too partickle, I fear.

I'm confessing a confession
And I hope I'm not verbose
When I'm not close to the kiss that I cling to,
I cling to the kiss that's close
As I'm more and more a mortal
I am more and more a case.
When I'm not facing the face that I fancy.
I fancy the face I face.
For Sharon I'm carin',
But Susan I'm choosin'
I'm faithful to whos'n is here.

Trending Topics