DAW help - what is the EASIEST?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Lavely, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Lavely

Lavely Silver Supporting Member

I tried to record a few years ago, and frankly, the complexity of the DAW (Reaper) led me to quit. I'm going to try again. My goals:

1 - record guitar with mics on my cabinets - this is BY FAR the most important task
    2 - use drum software
    3 - eventually, I want to play with synth sounds, effects, etc.

This is really for screwing around, but first I need to learn how to do some of the basics. Reaper was, to me, not at all intuitive. I am VERY GOOD at computer stuff, but I was extremely frustrated with Reaper.

I could buy a Mac, I could use a PC. I will look and buy a quality Audio Interface for my mics.

Which DAW would you suggest as a logical, fairly easy to use tool for basic track recording?

Lavely

2. SteveO

SteveO Member

The basic functions are pretty much the same regardless of which DAW you go with (arm track, set levels, hit 'record'), and the initial learning curve will likewise be about the same.

3. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Member

none of them are easy

they are all designed to serve serious musicians

I'm told Reason is pretty straight-forward within itself. Most have demo versions that are free to test

4. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Garage band is super easy

5. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

That would be my suggestion as well. As you outgrow it (or decide you want the much larger loop library that comes with Logic), you can migrate to Logic pretty easily, both in term of file formats and learning curve.

6. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

If you get a Mac it will come with Garageband, which will do what you're asking for. If you then decide that you want to do more with a more advanced program you can upgrade to Logic Pro X, which is Apple's fully featured DAW for $200. Their interfaces are similar and the transition is not too difficult.

7. @sixstringeek

@sixstringeek Member

hell you can go with an ipad and a focusrite scarlet 2v2 or 2x4 and use that they are powerful enough now and the focusrite has mic preamps. Check youtube and garageband also comes with the ipad, and they have a few ipad DAW apps now. If you are just getting going this is the best path to start with as then eventually all your work can be on icloud or Drobox and the files would go to any MAC with Logic X which is what -most- pros ( and their houses studios run )

8. @sixstringeek

@sixstringeek Member

i should also mention the Line 6 sonic port X also, ipad and/or computer interface they have a mic preamp version now and they have the best guitar software, mobile POD is included. again, as a bro who plays guitar and is also VERY GOOD at computer stuff, its what I use for now ( my Dad has his own studio and album done in said studio on itunes so im not just blowing wind ) let us know how it goes!

9. Devnor

Devnor Member

Invest some time and money into training. Sign up for a month at macprovideo or Groove 3. My suggestion would be to learn a few things first then jump straight into Logic. It's got everything you need including lots of great plugins. It can be as simple as you want or you can deep dive into some complex routings and environment configurations. It all starts with instruction. If you try to go it alone then you'll end up frustrated like before.

10. BetterMeThanYou

BetterMeThanYou Member

Get a standalone unit instead of the computer. The Zoom R- series works standalone and can work as an audio interface with a computer. Gives you the best of both worlds and a way to start small then "graduate" on to more if you even ever need that. Look into it or PM me for more info if interested.

11. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

+1 for Garageband as a starting point. I managed to teach myself how to do adequate recordings on GB. Then I moved to Logic.

To clarify - I *tried* moving to Logic 9 but was completely lost and gave up. Then Logic X came out and the interface was SO much more intuitive and I managed to pick it up.

Now that the new Garageband has an interface closer to Logic X, I think the transition will be even smoother as you move up.

Other than that, as other have said, using the iPad as a simple recorder is also useful, especially with simple DAWs on there like MultiTrack DAW. Cubasis and Auria are also available on the iPad but they are getting up there in terms of complexity.

12. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

Dude... Reaper is DEAD simple for what you want to do. It's exactly what I do in Reaper, and I've found it to be easier than any other DAW (besides Garageband...).

What were you having problems with? Get a solid interface, like a Focusrite, and set that up in Reaper. That'll record your cabs and Focusrite lets you do zero-latency monitoring. Then install EZDrummer 2 as a VSTi, set it up in Reaper (you tell Reaper where the VST file is), and you've got full drums set up.

It's very simple.. Just need to invest some time to get it right.

Dehz likes this.
  13. Papajuice

Papajuice Silver Supporting Member

Or if you have a mac Mainstage is $30 and all the stuff will work ion Garage band.

14. moredirt

moredirt Member

If you're already considering buying a Mac I'd do garageband w built in drums and move to logic w built in drums if you feel the need.

15. BWebb

BWebb Member

Might not be the most popular opinion but I've tried a bunch of software and find Pro Tools the easiest and most straightforward to use.

16. stratology

stratology Member

GarageBand.

If you ever decide to upgrade to Logic: when you first open GarageBand projects in Logic, they open in a simplified user interface, to make the transition very easy.

St. Vincent wrote her whole 2nd album on GarageBand...

17. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

Garage Band is easiest, if you're on a Mac.

If you're on a PC, Studio One is pretty simple.

18. hpharley90

hpharley90 Member

I have been using Mixcraft 6 for a few months. With out ever using a DAW I found it very easy to use.
    I'm using a Focusrite 2i2 interface.

19. Lavely

Lavely Silver Supporting Member

Studio One comes with Presonus breakout boxes - that may be an interesting/easy/relatively inexpensive solution...

20. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

:spit