Daw to Multitrack all in one?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by 52ftbuddha, Sep 14, 2006.

1. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

I am really thinking about dumping SX and my interface and controler for something integrated like an AW1600. Reason, Native complete and Cubase SX just seem to get in the way of making music anymore. Has anyone faced this similar quandry.
    Thanks
    Rob

2. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

I've tried doing the software route a few times and I've just never gotten comfortable. I used a stand-alone Tascam 788 for years and I've upgraded to a 2488 in the last few weeks. It's close enough to traditional analog recording that I feel like it's an almost transparent part of my setup, doing the job and almost never getting in the way. I may be a complete recording ludite, but it seems to work for me.

3. tac5

tac5 Member

I've become really comfortable with my Tascam 2488. It interfaces so well with all my analog gear. I do use a Mackie 1402 VLZ Pro as an added interface. If there are deficiencies in my recording, it's my fault, not the gear.

4. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

I recently went the other way after five years with a Korg D16. I really really didn't want to move to a PC, but the sheer power, cost effectiveness and ease of accomplishing certain tasks gives the PC an undeniable advantage for what I need it for. If money were no object, I would consider tracking on dedicated hardware (ie. Korg 888, Tascam2488 ) then bouncing down to a PC for final mix, master, making MP3s, burning CDs ect... Sonar is also pretty nice for MIDI editing and the BFD drum voices sound a little better than my dedicated hardware. YMMV

Shawn.

5. DaveDaveDave

DaveDaveDave Member

I second the vote for sticking with SX. There are lot of things that you'd be giving up - most of them for free. Everything from quick MP3 mixdowns to UV22 dithering to expandability.
    Perhaps you need a motorized control surface to speed things up? I run a Yamaha 01x (with and i88x) on my PC and was using a Roland vs880 before that - I'll never go back to the standalone box.
    BTW, "Cubase 4" is due out very soon and the feature list looks very impressive.

Dave

6. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

use what U got.
    i second the idea for adding a control surface to make it seem more '20th century'. i use the mackie stuff (4 modules) and it really gets the focus off the computer. that sounds like what part of Ur problem might be. U got all these plugz and feel like U have to use 'em ALL the time?

7. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

Well thanks for everyones answer. I have decided to stick with SX. I have a number of control surfaces, pc1600x and Mackie control. My issue has never been with the mouse. Just the scale of SX. I would love to be able to scale back the gui interface for ease of use. Again thanks all.
    Rob

8. scottlr

scottlr Member

FWIW, I use Logic, but I probably use it more like I would analog, with a few exceptions. I do program my drums with it, and I do use the automation, as well as some editing. But mostly, I just record like I used to on tape. I rarely add keyboards, but it is nice to know they are at my disposal should I want them. I am quite happy with my setup.