Dawner Prince Electronics Boonar (new ECHOREC clone)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by augur, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

I’ll have to check it out. I’m not staunchly opposed to it. Just really prefer this stuff to feel like rock and roll and not like working on my iPad haha. Especially since we’re looking back decades for inspiration. I want my Binson to feel like a Binson, you know? As a user of oldish pedals (DD-2, 90s FD2, 90s Rat...) I like the idea of pedals, amps, guitars that will last for years to come. I don’t see that happening with the current crop of mini-computers we’ve been putting on our pedal boards but who knows?

Tonefan likes this.
  2. moidan

moidan Member

:crazyguy

Boonar tube!?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  3. Dawner Prince

Dawner Prince Member

4. Tonefan

Tonefan Member

Ahhhhhh. Nice. What will the pedal be called? To call it Boonar would detract from the original. Call it the Ekorec or something more akin to the unit it pays homage to.

This is the one I’ve been waiting for. An echorec that sounds as good as Boonar, with programability and tubes including magic eye.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    Sean413 likes this.
  5. DC1

DC1 Member

I LOVE magic eye tubes! Take my money...

dc

6. calfzilla

calfzilla Cynical Hack Silver Supporting Member

I was lucky enough to trade into one of these.... Just fantastic.

Only thing I miss about my last echorec style pedal (Infanem small echo array) was the clean and wet volume knobs... wish every delay could incorporate that.

Boonar just has something special about it... I haven't found it overly bright either, but I generally gravitate towards darker sounding gear anyways, so it could just be my guitar/amp/cab that's softening the high end.

Dawner Prince likes this.
  7. Dawner Prince

Dawner Prince Member

Volume echo/rep/swell knob is your WET Volume knob and Boonar also has DRY volume knob (unscrew the bottom plate to reach the trimmer pot) that is factory set to unity gain but you can boost dry signal or even completely mute it (KILL DRY). ;)

Silenceborn and ChampReverb like this.
  8. ToneIsKing55

ToneIsKing55 Member

So I recieved mine the other day and hooked it up and tried for several days and really must admit I didn't care for it much. It sounded metalic and much too bright, as I have heard others report. I was very disappointed and was putting it back in the box to sell on reverb. It was then that I saw it!!!! The bolded text on the instruction sheet that said it needed 200ma. I felt pretty stupid because I'm usually pretty obsessive about these things and even keep a spreadsheet with the power requirements for every pedal I own, as well as a sheet specifying the slots on my power supplies to use for each pedal on my board (I have 4 power supplies on my board so it can get to be a chore to keep them straight. Anyway I plugged it into a slot that had 250ma and WOW what a difference. The thing came alive and sounded fantastic. I haven't read through all of the posts in this thread so I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but I can't help thinking to myself if all the people who report this pedal as being too bright and metalic sounding might be underpowering it.

vmann likes this.
  9. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

Ironically since this post I’ve gotten a Helix LOL...

Beto, Tri Pedal Reviews and Tonefan like this.
  10. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

@Dawner Prince: any plans for a Tap Tempo Boonar (leaving Swell/repeats in) ?? Thx

kuato and Dawner Prince like this.
  11. branbolio

branbolio Member

Would love to see footswitchable oscillating feedback

OverDrivenGtr and Buddy67 like this.
  12. OverDrivenGtr

OverDrivenGtr Silver Supporting Member

More delay pedals need this. I don't care for the Strymon El Capistan as far as its switches and modes go but damn do I love being able to hold down the tap switch to get that instant oscillation.

5cr33nager likes this.
  13. moidan

moidan Member

Any Infos from Namm?

14. Buddy67

Buddy67 Member

I was hoping for news of the tube boonar but I don't think they were at NAMM. The Strymon 4 head modular delay looks amazing but the price is crazy.

15. moidan

moidan Member

and nothing für the board ;)

16. Buddy67

Buddy67 Member

Can people who own one speak to the sturdiness of the playback head selectors, ie. would it be a bad idea to get into the habit of clicking them with one's toes (shoeless of course)? Until the tap tempo (and expression pedal??) version shows up, it seems like a way to switch between slapback and a longer times delay.

17. Sean413

Sean413 Member

The swell switches will get you to slap back sounds, depending on which heads are engaged

Buddy67 likes this.
  18. augur

augur Member

I do it at home myself, but honnestly it would be very complicated during a gig.
    Those little switches are sensible and it's hard to push one without pushing its neighbor.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Buddy67 likes this.
  19. Buddy67

Buddy67 Member

I was wondering that from demos- if I had like 400ms on head 4, would swell give slapback?

20. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

If this is in the works, I would speculate it will be in the format that Dawner Prince used in their Starla Tremolo unit. That being an RCA port in the upper left hand corner by the output jack. The Starla has that RCA jack for syncing the tremolo with a synth or a drum unit and I’m sure that same design can be applied to the Boonar.