dbucket (Timeline) question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bk., Feb 21, 2012.

1. bk.

bk. Member

with the dbucket delay set to the max delay time of 75 bpm, and even up to around 105 bpm, the repeats seem to have a high pitched sort of lo-fi buzz in them. is this a normal thing with the strymon dbucket algorithm?

fwiw i have the delay set to quarter note repeats as well but have even noticed it in the dotted eighth parameter.

edit: i am also using the double parameter. the single seems to exaggerate the effect but the double still has slight buzzing.

This is my first strymon pedal and i've had it since the second batch came out last year but i haven't noticed the problem before.

before i contact strymon directly I wanted to ask this question on here to see if anyone else has experienced this.

thanks for any help you can provide!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  2. schecterc1lh

schecterc1lh Member

mine does this too, but it seems to do it more in the single range mode, try to double and that could help

3. bk.

bk. Member

i was actually on the double range time but just switched to the single range and you're right it definitely does it a lot more there

4. schecterc1lh

schecterc1lh Member

hmmm, okay, have you tried turning the grit knob down?

5. bk.

bk. Member

both filter and grit and all modulation are set to zero

6. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I noticed the same thing.

The dbucket also has a midi issue that switches the bpm to 150.

I wonder if they are related.

7. bk.

bk. Member

haven't tried midi to find that out...have you updated to the lastest firmware to see if the issues are fixed?

8. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

Yep, normal.

Switch to double if you wanna get rid of it.

9. bk.

bk. Member

Anyone else experience this while the double parameter is engaged?

10. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

This is why I hated the Brigadier. :(

11. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

Not owning one I can only hazard a guess. I have to think this is clock whine emulation. When you get to the max range of a BBD you have some clock whine and I would think in an attempt to model this correctly they would add this signature.

rob

12. bk.

bk. Member

Thank you for the information. Seems like this is a pretty common "issue" if you may. Not really my cup of tea but atleast from information I've gained here I don't have to deal with strymon or send it back (although strymon support seems to be good)

13. schecterc1lh

schecterc1lh Member

I think a lot of it is simply the delay time. If you are running it at full, as mentioned above, you will get clock noise. Maybe for something that long try running a digital delay. I know that is somewhat annoying, but when you think about it, not many real analog delays can go up to 800ms, and im sure that noise is one of the reasons some dont.

14. musicwack

musicwack Member

From the Brigadier manual:

"One thing you’ll notice as you turn the Delay Time knob to around 3:00 or greater (in any mode) is the clock artifacts that arise due to the slower clocks used to achieve the longer delay times. This is independent of the Bucket loss. In fact, it is more noticeable with zero bucket loss because higher bucket loss can serve to overshadow some of
    those clock artifacts. In the short mode, you’ll hear these artifacts strongly at 400ms delay. If you want a cleaner sounding 400ms delay, you can go to Med mode, where
    you’ll hear the clock artifacts strongly at 1s."

I remember when I would tap long delay times on my Deluxe Memory Boy, I would hear those clock artifacts. I think it's pretty cool Strymon modeled that as well.

15. OMTerria

OMTerria Member

Yeah, it's an intended 'malfunction' in the algorithm intended to make it more realistic

16. XISTH

XISTH Member

Call me crazy, but I actually kinda like this 'feature', in moderation. It's this sort of attention-to-detail that puts Strymon in a league of its own.

17. bk.

bk. Member

That's guys! You guys are awesome.

It may be easier to appreciate this feature now that I know it's supposed to e there and I'm not worry that my $500 investment needs fixed ha