DC/MD/VA Gear Swap

Discussion in 'Interactive Administrator Threads' started by FlyingVBlues, May 5, 2009.

1. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

For the past 2 years I have hosted a tone fest in May. This year instead of doing a tone fest Jon Silberman, Jon C and I will be hosting a gear swap. Given the poor state of the economy it is really hard to sell gear right now. This event will give you a chance to trade the stuff that you no longer want/need for something you want but don’t have the cash for.

Date: Saturday, June 20, 2009
    Time: 1:00 to 5:00 PM
    Location: Shouse Village Community Center, 1432 Towlston Road, Vienna, VA 22182

This is the same location we have had the tone fests. It is a 1 minute drive from the Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts, and there is plenty of free parking.

What gear can be swapped? Guitars, amps, pedals, guitar accessories and recording gear. Please do not bring any other items to this event.

What is the cost? This is a free event.

If you have any questions please send me an email – I don’t usually check my PM’s.

FVB

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    DC/MD/VA Gear Swap - RESCHEDULED!!!!

Both of the air conditioners in the Community Center of my development died this weekend. The HVAC contractor will be doing some work this weekend prior to replacing both of the compressors. This will require periods where the electricity in the building will be turned off.

Given that the temperature this Saturday is projected to be in the 80’s and there will be periods where the electricity will be turned off I am going to reschedule the DC/MD/VA Gear Swap. After conferring with Jon Silberman and Jon C the new date is June 20, 2009 from 1-5 PM.

I apologize if anyone is inconvenienced by this. I was really looking forward to trading and buying some gear this weekend, but sometimes things just happen. If you have any questions please shoot me a PM or email.

FVB

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  2. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Oh man, if I can break away (kids, sports, etc.), I'm in fer sher. I'll use my wife's SUV to haul a nice load of goodies! Considering there are no gear shows in this area, it's a great idea. [​IMG]

spacebar likes this.
  3. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Who the heck thought up this wacky idea?!

:eek:

4. Jazzydave

Jazzydave Seeker Silver Supporting Member

Cool! I'll try to make it out to this as well!

5. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

I'm there, if only to look. I have nothing of value to a TGPer. Unless you want a JTM-60.

6. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

No tone fest? I wanted to show off my SDG amp ... I'll do some window shopping, but I just cleaned house after finally getting my rig where it needs to be. Thanks for setting this up! -E

7. ImmortalSix

ImmortalSix Member

Man, I would be there but it's my wife and I's anniversary --- I have a feeling that postponing our weekend getaway to go to a gear swap would, how do you say... "jeopardize" my ability to "sleep in the house" :rotflmao

8. Jon Silberman

Anniversaries come and go - I'm sure you've celebrated many together already - but be honest: when have you heard ever of a MD/VA/DC organized gear swap?!

I.e., get your priorities straight, mon! :p

9. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

What a great idea. You usually sell gear, take a hit financially, and then spend the money on more gear. This sounds in theory anyway, like a good opportunity to replace gear you no longer want with stuff you do want with little or no cash loss.

10. ImmortalSix

ImmortalSix Member

That is why this hurts so bad --- I have a carload of gear I need to get rid of and I have a "want-list" as long as my leg.

I will start setting the clocks back a few minutes at a time and see if I can get her turned back a day by the 30th!

Wish me luck!

11. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

I might be able to show up to this if I'm in town that day, it's right up the road from where I live currently (I'm in Fairfax). Would it be helpful to post a list of stuff that could be brought over before the event to give folks an idea of whether or not there's stuff they would be interested in? :dunno I have a few cabinets that I wouldn't mind moving since I don't need all of them and I'm preparing to move into a house soon. :D

P.S. Is it out of the question to have stuff for sale as well if people don't have a trade for it but might want to buy it straight up? :)

12. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

a good thought and of interest to me too (I need to make room in my tiny basement music space).

13. FlyingVBlues

Paul Green's School of Rock Music is also planning a gear swap meet sometime in June. Here's a link to get added to the mailing list

http://www.public.sordc.com/swap_meet.shtml

FVB

14. FlyingVBlues

I'll have to find out from the Board of Directors of my development's Community Association if selling gear is allowable in the Community Center. I know swapping stuff isn't a problem but there may be issues with Fairfax County. The county may require a permit in order to allow gear sales. Also, Virginia may have state sales tax requirements. I'll post an update once I find out if sales are Ok.

FVB

15. Jon Silberman

Greene's swap appears to be more targeted to children's gear than us cork-sniffin' oldtimers. :eek:

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  16. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Sales tax on used goods?

17. Jon Silberman

This Commonwealth of Virginia Tax Commissioner Ruling would appear on point:

http://www.policylibrary.tax.virgin...c47c5675d9b1da9f85256d9800644d6e?OpenDocument

Fairfax County - 703-324-INFO; 7; 5; 1; 5

Garage and Yard Sales permitted under Country Zoning Ordinances subject to 3 restrictions: (1) limit of 2 sales/year; (2) only 2nd-hand merchandise allowed; (3) limit on sign size.

18. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

19. whitehall

whitehall Member

I wish it were in Maryland. But , oh well.

20. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

What a great idea, I wish we had something like this in NYC. Something less crazy than guys chasing you down at shows and such, you know?