DC/MD/VA Gear Swap

Discussion in 'Interactive Administrator Threads' started by FlyingVBlues, May 5, 2009.

1. Viking Amps

Viking Amps Member

Yes, in fact I will redoing the whole site as the current one is pretty dated. Would you be interested in doing some recording?

2. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

Sure- would be happy to help in any way! Just let me know and it would be great to hear this unit again!

3. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Fellow DMV'ers - I have a Dobro-style guitar with issues, at a minimum it needs either a good adjusting/tightening or a new cone. Who's the best for this particular job in our local area? Thanks.

4. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

Beard Guitars in Hagerstown, MD makes excellent resophonic guitars and they do great setups and repair work.

http://www.beardguitars.com

5. Jon Silberman

In fact, Paul installed my current Quarterman replacement cone and did the original set-up for my resonator guitar. This was many years ago, though (i.e., the guitar's current issues are absolutely no reflection on Paul's top notch skills). Hagerstown is a truck, though. I think, this time, I'd like to find a local luthier if I can.

[​IMG]

6. FlyingVBlues

The other place you could try is the House of Musical Traditions in Takoma Park. They sell dobro's and I'm pretty sure they do repair work on them.

https://hmtrad.com

The Opera Panther likes this.
  7. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Give a call to my friend Daniel at Arlington Fret Works. Despite the name, he does much much more than frets :). Shouldn't be too far from you in Richville, VA :)

8. Jon Silberman

Is this that olde skool guy who doesn't use email or even voicemail?!

9. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I have dozens of e-mails from Daniel and he returns all of my voicemails. He's a super nice guy. I promise you will like him whether or not you ultimately go with him.

10. Jon Silberman

Oh, then I was thinking about someone else. Thanks for the tip!!

11. jeffamm

jeffamm Member

Stop Me Before I Kill Again - Asking for feedback/ideas on monthly guitar gear swap meet!

Hi guys, Jeff here, occasional lurker on this forum, some of you may know me from the Greater DC Rock n Roll Flea Market & Guitar Show that I used to run, and my wife and I run the School of Rock in Vienna.

I have this persistent (some would say chronic) belief that a monthly gear swap of some kind would be a great thing if it could be set up in the right way. I guess it's been long enough since we stopped doing the guitar shows that I'm ready to try it again, and I'd appreciate any thoughts from this forum to help shape the idea.

I'm thinking of holding a regular (like 2nd Sunday of every month) event in the back parking lot of our School of Rock location in Vienna for a free of charge (free-to-sell, free-to-buy, free-to-park) event, something like 12 noon to 2PM. This would be a park your car and sell from your trunk or something similar event. We would provide no tables or chairs, there would be no check-in or reservation, just show up and sell/swap with whoever else is there. At most we might provide electricity but no access to the building. We'd setup a facebook page to post messages such as if the weather seems bad that the day is cancelled, and where attendees could post that they're coming, not coming, or mention that they're bringing something specific, or looking for something specific. This would run 12 months a year and just cancel itself when the weather is bad. There are nearby eateries (Starbucks, Taco Bamba, Chopt, MOD Pizza, Cava etc) a short walk away for food, bathrooms and pre-and post- meals and camaraderie.

This isn't aimed at School of Rock (SOR) students per se, it's just where we have space and rights to do it. I expect we'd get a mix of gear from the high-end of typical interest here to the more mundane.

Crazy Add-On Idea - we might hold a drum-circle or ukelele-circle in the front parking lot during the same time as an added reason to go and connect.

All thoughts and input are requested and welcome. Let me know please and thanks.

Jeff

12. bluesky636

bluesky636 Member

I really miss the shows at NOVA Annandale Campus. Was really sorry to see them go.

Do you think you really have enough room to do something in the parking lot? What is parking like in the surrounding lots on Sunday at that time? An outdoor swap meet would be highly weather dependent and probably restricted to late Spring - early Fall. Given the heat we have had lately I doubt Summer would draw many people either.

[​IMG]

13. jeffamm

jeffamm Member

Hi Bill, thanks for responding, yes we can expand into the government lot next to us, which is empty on Sunday's, and also the shopping center lot also next to us, so space isn't an issue on a Sunday. Regarding time of year, yes it's nicest in spring and fall but if a swap meet becomes a reliable place to find and move gear I think we could attract a regular crowd even when weather isn't the best, but that will remain to be proven.

14. bluesky636

bluesky636 Member

Cool. Three hours might be a better length. I live in Centreville which is about 20 - 25 minutes away depending on traffic. 40 - 50 minute round trip for a 2 hr event is kind of pushing it. If I were coming from further, I would think hard about attending.

15. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

This sounds like an interesting idea. The no-charge aspect makes it more attractive. As the guy who gets accused of being overly negative because I try to predict what could go wrong, I'm wondering about potential liability issues for the organizer.

16. Jon Silberman

@jeffamm, what ever happened with your idea here? Thanks.

Multicellular likes this.
  17. Bossanova

Bossanova Member

I'd love that, with the added suggestion we hold a jam/open mic type thing and play some rock n roll!!

jazblugtr and Multicellular like this.
  18. Bossanova

Bossanova Member

Local folks, please let me know, where would a classic rock band get some gigs in the area?

We're looking to play and have fun, share some bills with other bands, and hang out. https://www.facebook.com/kingsofmarigold/

We play lots of bar band favorites, tons of beatles, stones, bowie, who, CCR, etc.

19. FlyingVBlues

These are some of the bars I've played in over the past year. These were mainly Blues or Americana gigs, but many of these bars also feature classic rock bands. One thing that every one of these bars will ask is what kind of a draw you can produce. It would help if you could get more likes on your Facebook page as evidence that you could bring in a sufficient number of people to justify hiring your band.

8407 Kitchen Bar - Silver Spring, MD
    Babes Boys Tavern - Waldorf MD
    Bare Bones Gilll and Brewery - Ellicott City, MD
    Blackwall Hitch - Annapolis
    Blue Side Tavern - Frederick
    Brewer’s Alley - Frederick
    Bucket's Sports Bar - Lusby, MD
    Clyde’s of Chevy Chase
    Epicure Cafe - Fairfax VA
    Fat Tuesday's - Fairfax VA
    Flying Dog Brewery - Frederick, MD
    French Quarter Brasserie - Fairfax
    Hershey’s Restaurant - Gaithersburg, MD
    Lahinch Tavern & Grill - Potomac MD
    Londontowne Pub - Edgewater, MD
    M&S Grill - Reston
    Madam’s Organ - DC
    New Deal Cafe - Greenbelt MD
    Nicks - Alexandria
    Old Bowie Town Grille - Bowie MD
    Outta The Way Cafe - Derwood, MD
    Pearl Street Warehouse - DC
    Red Oak Bistro - La Plata MD
    Red Zone Grill - Fairfax VA
    Ruddy Duck Brewery & Grill - Dowell, MD
    Seven Corners Pub - Falls Church, VA
    The Music Cafe - Damascus,MD

cmatthes, PRSAtomic and Bossanova like this.
  20. Bossanova

Bossanova Member

Thanks for this! What's a decent enough number of 'likes' these days..?