DC/MD/VA Gear Swap

Discussion in 'Interactive Administrator Threads' started by FlyingVBlues, May 5, 2009.

1. frijoleghost

frijoleghost Member

hell, just found out about dan carbone at arlington fretworks...took my guitars to him for about 5 years
    bummer ....RIP daniel

Scanman39 likes this.
  2. jeffamm

jeffamm Member

I posted about this idea some time ago and now we're going to give it a try - please help by sharing it.

[​IMG]
    Metro DC Music Gear Buy Sell Swap Meet

Next Event:
    Sunday, August 5th, 1pm - 3pm
    2915 Hunter Mill Road, Oakton, VA
    Back of Building

WHAT IS THIS? An event for anyone looking to buy, sell or swap music and stage gear. Come to our parking lot on the appointed date and time and display gear you want to sell from your car. Walk around and look for something you want to buy. Or walk around with a guitar or something to sell. We all look at each other's stuff and buy, sell or swap as we see fit. Free to buy, free to sell, free to attend. Free parking.

QUESTIONS ANTICIPATED TO BE FREQUENTLY ASKED (QATBFA)
    WHAT'S THE CATCH? No catch, we just know a lot of musician's with gear they want to get or get rid of so we're trying to create a fun and easy way to do it. There is no fee to buy, sell, swap, attend, park or anything else. Maybe we'll put out a donation jar to pay for a sign to be used on the road for future events.

IS THIS A ONE-TIME EVENT? If the first event goes well we hope to do it monthly.

WON'T IT BE A LOT OF WORK TO DO IT MONTHLY? It would if we were running this like a guitar show or flea market but we're not. This requires every one to be nice, gracious and considerate of making this work without the need for any management or administration. Just bring the nice polite un-frustrated version of yourself to the meet and leave the other versions at home.

WOULDN'T IT BE EASIER TO HAVE THIS PAGE AS AN EVENT ON FACEBOOK? Yes. It's a long story why we're not on Facebook but we're working on getting an FB event page.

WHAT SHOULD I BRING? Any gear you want to let go and cash to buy (or use ATM, see below). Maybe start with something easy to sell or not too big. If we get these going monthly you can post on our future FB event page the bigger, harder stuff and ask if anyone is interested before schlepping it out.

IS THERE PROTECTION FROM RAIN OR SUN? No.

IS THERE ELECTRICITY TO TEST GEAR? We'll make an outlet available for the purpose of demonstrating to someone that something turns on and works. It's not there for someone to plug in or noodle away on their guitar and show off all their awesome licks.

WHY IS IT ON A SUNDAY? WHY 1PM-3PM? The parking lot we're using is empty on Sunday so that drove the decision. The event is 2 hours because we don't want to spend all day doing this. If you have gear to buy or sell then let's all just show up and get the deals done and go home and play with our new gear or money.

WHERE IS THE LOCATION? WHY OAKTON? The parking lot is in the back of a brown brick building, just off the corner of 123 and Hunter Mill Road, next to the Giant supermarket shopping center. We're behind the Starbucks and California Tortilla. This location in Oakton is close to 123 and I66 and is convenient for the organizers.

IS THERE AN ATM? Yes there are several ATMs within a short walk (Bank of America, Capitol One, Wells Fargo, CVS).

Axis29 and jb4674 like this.
  3. jb4674

jb4674 Member

I'm down, as I'd like to sell some of the items I have taking up space.

4. JackedEagle

JackedEagle Member

Nice! That's only 20 minutes away from me. I'll definitely stop by if I'm in town.

5. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

The one impossible weekend for me in August (funeral unveiling in NY).

6. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

Cool! Very close to me.

7. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

My wife says I'll be there with a pile of guitars to sell.... LOL

(I will be there, with a few... Maybe some pedals too? I dunno yet. But, I gotta unload some stuff)

8. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

@jeffamm, nice meeting you today, Jeff. Thanks again for organizing this little event. Lots of fun conversations and a few deals were made!

9. paulrocker

paulrocker Supporting Member

10. Bossanova

Bossanova Member

What’s up people? Come check us out tomorrow night (and if you can’t make it give me a “like” pls)

11. Jon Silberman

Same question as on your post on the Gig Alert page - what's your real first name so, if I can make it, I don't have to be asking for "Bossanova?!" :p

12. Jon Silberman

So local dudes, what else is new?

Anyone else going to Phish at Merriweather? I'll be at the Sunday show.

How about another gear swap when more of us are in town?

jb4674 likes this.
  13. Bossanova

Bossanova Member

Haha, it’s Gustavo

Jon Silberman likes this.
  14. Bossanova

Bossanova Member

Always IN for that

jb4674 likes this.
  15. Scanman39

Scanman39 Member

Wow, sorry to hear that. He setup a couple of my guitars and was a really great guy.

16. Jon Silberman

17. jb4674

jb4674 Member

I’ve got some stuff to sell..... When is the next one being planned for?

RobertUi and Bossanova like this.
  18. Jon Silberman

I'm waiting for someone - anyone - to post, "And I'm looking for stuff to buy." Absent that, it'll be just another event where stuff just sits!

19. JackedEagle

JackedEagle Member

I'm looking to buy a reverb pedal... and possibly another guitar. :D

20. Bossanova

Bossanova Member

Well, I’m always looking to TRADE... but tbh people have to be realistic about pricing their stuff. Most people here would jump on a good deal for quality gear

JackedEagle likes this.