DD-20 or RE-20 ???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by burythemisery, Feb 4, 2008.

1. burythemisery

burythemisery Member

i have an RE-20 and i love it ALOT - but i hear so many great things about the DD20 - can anyone compare the RE-20 and DD-20 together with pros and cons and/or the advantages over one another - cheers!

2. RDM

RDM Senior Member

Use the Google search. semi-hollowbody just had a thread with the same questions. He ended up getting the DD20

3. drod2045

drod2045 Member

Im torn between the two. I want authentic tape sounds and I wonder how much better the RE-20 is at that over the DD20. But the DD20 has more options...

4. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I wasn't impressed with the RE-20 at all and I really wantled to like it when it was first introduced.

The DD-20 wins for me.

5. KarlH

KarlH Supporting Member

Different strokes, I guess.... I was VERY underwhelmed by the DD-20 and BLOWN AWAY with the RE-20.... but then again, I want something that does everyting a tape delay will do, including the way it feeds back and changes pitch when you change delay time (which is different that the way an analog or digital delay do)

The DD-2 sounded like a digital delay to me, which is not what I wanted

6. exodus

exodus Member

for a wide range of basic delay tones, i liked the dd-20. for a wide range of "specialty" delay tones (that cop not just any tape delay, but specifically the RE-201), the re-20 was pretty good.

In the end however, i sold both... and i really wanted to like the re-20, with its ability to use a speed pedal to control the feedback, for ambient stuff. the problem was the feedback / oscillation sounded fake to me, at least compared to my ad-900 that i've had for the past 3 years.

7. KarlH

KarlH Supporting Member

I guess opinions differ.... the RE-20s feedback was very, very close to the feedback and pitch changes that i have experienced with real space echos (which is different that the way an exhoplex feedsback)

I think an analog delay's oscillation sounds much different than a tape echo, albeit it is very cool sounding (that reminds me, i need to get a DMM!)