DD-20. Score!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Fernando, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Fernando

Fernando Member

Hey, I just found a Boss DD-20 Giga Delay for sale for the price of a DD-6. It's brand new, a local store just received it.

Does anyone have anything so horrible to say about this unit as to advise me against this purchase?

I was looking for a delay pedal and was considering some of the more expensive stuff, such as the Echoplex.

But than I realized I don't use delay that much, only for some ambience and an occasional slapback. I had set my mind to go with a plain old DD-3. But now I believe it is a no brainer, don't you think?

2. telemike

telemike Member

I love mine. I picked it up new for $179. It works great and really fits in well with the rest of my pedals.

3. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

for a versatile delay for live use I don't think anything beats the DD-20. I've had one on my pedalboard since they came out and love it. There are other pedals that have a slight edge tonally, but they won't do nearly as much and some cost more too. You won't notice the tonal difference playing live with a loud band anyway. I still keep a Deluxe Memory Man, DD-3 and AD-9 on the shelf for recording.

4. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

It's a great pedal and I use mine for every gig. It actually is always on with one of the 4 pre-sets. You can set different delays for clean or dirty.

5. ABKB

ABKB Member

+1 on that. Got mine about 2 months ago after my DL4 got weird on me. Wanted versatility and RELIABILITY and the DD-20 has it in spades. More "even" sounding than the DL4. By that I mean there are some volume drops in the Dl4 depending on the patch. The DD20 just does a better all around job with more presets avaliable. Wouldnt reccomend it for loopers, but I think most people buy it for the delays anyway.
    Good score dude!

6. Den

Den Member

Do a search on this board for "DD-20" and you'll find lots of great discussion.

7. R_S_G_7

R_S_G_7 Member

great delay. love mine. it rarely gets turned off.

If its a good price and you have the money grab it.

8. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Yes, a bunch of us lathered all over the DD-20 in a recent thread.

But to answer your question...get it! As long as you have the room for the bigger pedal on you board (vs. the DD-3).
    Greg

9. Fernando

Fernando Member

Yes, I had searched the forum, but I just wanted some final insights. I'll buy it tomorrow.

One more thing: I've read that the DD-20 power requirements are a little odd. Will it work with the power supply in the SKB PS-45? It supplies 9V DC 100mA per outlet.

Thanks a lot everyone!

10. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The DD-20, I believe, uses 200 MAs. And that's nominal. DOn't use your pedalboards supply.

Your best bet would probably be to pick up a godlyke power-all. Costs about twice what a typical boss adaptor costs, and can power 5 pedals with just the basic kit!

11. BAILEY ROSE

BAILEY ROSE Guest

Can someone please put here a cool and nice settings fo the dd-20?

12. g-nem

g-nem Member

I power my dd20 and a bunch of other pedals with a visual sound onespot and it powers everything fine. Beware, though, that digital pedals used with a digital switching power supply often emit a high pitched squeal due to different digital clocks- I don't know the whole theory behind it but my DD20 defintely has that high pitched thing- it's subtle but i use batteries in it for recording.

Your best bet is probably to use a VL pedal power or a regualr boss adaptor.

13. gazeglow

gazeglow Member

g-nem, you just solved a huge mystery for me. i use a godlyke powerall with my DD-20 and i've been wondering what on earth was causing this slight high pitched squeal. i was afraid it was my amp, but it makes sense to me now that a digital disagreement is to blame. looks like it's time to break out the boss adapter again!

14. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

I want reserect this tread....I have the powersupplie that came with the dd-20, and I get the high pitch with or with out it (Batt)...
    Ant ideas how to get rid of it?

15. Fernando

Fernando Member

Mine did not come with an AC adapter. I bought a BOSS PSA-120 and it works perfectly.

16. meterman

meterman Member

I don't know if this is your issue, but I had a real high pitched squeal from my DD-20 a while back that was driving me nuts. Turns out the cord from the DD-20 to the amp had come unplugged about halfway, there was still signal but also the ringing noise. Plugged it in solid and it was gone.....