DD-20, TC Nova, or something else??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JMayerFan, May 11, 2008.

1. JMayerFan

JMayerFan Member

So I have a DD-6 and recently bought a H20 echo/chorus and I'm not digging the echo on the H20.

I'm going to sell the h20 and now I need and want another delay and possibly chorus pedal.

I'd like:

Something with presets so i'm not turning knobs during a show and or having three delays on my board.

Doesnt have to be analog but one that models it well would be nice.

and nothing too crazy expensive 300 or less.

I enjoyed the DD-20 and have heard great things of the TC nova. So I was thinking of picking either of these two up and then maybe a nice simple chorus pedal??

Thoughts?

Brandon

2. gregory49

gregory49 Member

the Nova is awesome but if your all about analog and staying true to your sound then I find it drains some of your tone in which something like an AD9 or AD900 or Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay doesn't....

3. Chadley

Chadley Member

I would recommend both the DD20 and the Nova with a slight edge to the Nova.

I have used both pedals extensivley live. I ended up being lured to the Nova originally because of its capability for 9 presets compared to the 4 on the DD20. Like you, I need to use presets live for my delays. 4 presets (5 with manual setting) on the DD20 simply wasn't enough for an entire set.

What I found when I got the Nova was, even though it had less available types of delay, the overall quality was excellent. The repeats are very clear and defined yet warm and musical, if that makes sense. The contour control is great. Even though you can't truly dial in a tape delay tone, with the excellent modulation (the mod on the DD20 is one of its weaknesses) you can dial in a pretty cool approximation none the less.

Even though the Nova does convert your entire signal to digital (unlike the DD20) I don't mind having it in my chain because I notice very little change in tone. I still really like the DD20 though and would recommend it to anyone but if I had to choose, it would be the Nova.

4. stump

stump Member

How about a DD20 and keep the H2O for the chorus and maybe stack the delay. Just a thought.

5. JMayerFan

JMayerFan Member

The delay on the h20 is REALLY bad sounding to me. It's fizzy or slightly distorted even. I don't know if its supposed to really do that or what.

Brandon

6. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

7. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

i'm a huge fan of the dd20. i could tell you all of the delays i've owned and tried, but i can't type that much.

jack is making me think i should try the trex again, but i went down that road already. . . i preferred the dd20. there was nothing the trex could do that i couldn't get on it. . . the tone knob is really a gem of a thing. . .

have an analogman delay on its way. . . but won't be here to try it until late this week. . .

. . . then again, i gave my cousin his dm3 back after i fooled myself in a blind taste test with the dd20, so i don't really see how it won't be the same thing. . .

. . . so i'm saying dd20. still the best bang for buck for me by a mile. sometimes you get that thing right. . . and keep trying to tell yourself ya didn't!

8. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

The Replica's always been my fave. My only issue is that you really notice when the pedal is off!! Those Burr Brown IC's really sweeten your tone so much that it almost feels like a blankets been thrown over your amp in bypass. Bang for the buck, the Nova's the one to beat IMHO.

9. jzucker

can't agree there.

10. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

I don't think the Replica has presets, does it?

11. jzucker

If you need presets, you might want to upgrade to the timefactor

12. hipfan

hipfan Member

JMayerFan - You're certainly on the right track. For delays with presets, the Nova and DD20 are the game in town unless you want to shell out more coin for the Timefactor. Having had both, my suggestion would be to pick up both from a shop with a good length return policy. The two pedals really do sound and respond differently, and lots of people with discerning ears for delay like one more than the other or vice-versa. You won't know on which side you fall, unless you play both of them back-to-back, A/B style.

I happen to like the DD20 quite a bit more than the Nova, as the "modulated" setting (with the rate and depth tweaked) is so useful for my preferred delay sounds with my band. It's quite a bit deeper and warmer than the Nova, IMO. Also, in the +4 mode in a good effects loop, the DD20 does nothing audible to my tone in bypass.

13. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

Had them all except the Timefactor. Nova easily won the contest. DD20 sounds pretty sterile in comparison. I've posted my thoughts on the different delays in depth in several threads if you want to search for it.

D

14. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

I've had the TFactor, Nova and DD-20. Still have my DD-20. Ther others were way too hi-fi and pristine sounding. The DD-20 is way more versatile and organic sounding. Plus, I have pages and pages of presets for my DD-20. It's easily tweakable.

15. Chadley

Chadley Member

I think a lot of the preferences between the Nova and the DD20 (and probably other delays as well) has a lot to do with the different amps people are using them with. If you use a darker sounding saggier amp you might prefer the brighter, more clinical sound of the Nova. If your amp has a brighter, less saggy sound, you might prefer the less clinical and darker sounding DD20. Just a thought.

16. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

I've owned two Replica's and found the same fault in both. There's a huge tonal discrepancy when operational vs bypass. The boys as t-rex offered me the explanation that it's a/d/a converters and higher sampling rate which is making the difference so obvious. I even believe they use the 'it sounds so good, most player leave it on' crapola on their website too. Great sounding pedal, if you leave it on...:phones

17. 89strat

89strat Member

I haven't tried the Nova but I never really wanted to. I have the DD-20 set to exactly how I want it. And, it works great in a live setting, easy to set up, easy to tweek, I can even turn the knobs with my toes if I need to (although I don't). I think the modulated setting is still pretty good on the dd-20. Also, I run it in front of a fender deluxe reverb and I set the output to +4db which really helps with the modulated setting a bit for whatever reason.

18. JMayerFan

JMayerFan Member

Well geez guys, you're not really helping me out haha. I've played the dd-20 for about an hour and really liked it. Played it through a new bogner, don't remember what it was.

I have a twin reverb and tend to play LOUD. That being said, I might like the DD-20 a bit better if its a litter warmer?

Secondly, am I really missing out by having the requirements of presets? I mean I suppose I could have a sheet or something stating exactly where to put things but I'd prefer not to. Secondly, is there anything that one really does have that the other doesn't or that one does much beter then the other?

Branodn

19. hipfan

hipfan Member

I like the warmth of the DD20 better myself. Whether you would or not is impossible for anyone to answer, of course.

As for presets, I find them indispensable for live work - especially given some of the delay-intensive Edge-type stuff I do sometimes. Instead of fumbling and twisting knobs while my bandmates and everyone else waits for the next tune, I'm ready to go after merely tapping the DD20 a couple of times.

20. jzucker

to me, the achilles heel of the DD20 is the modulation. It sounds weak like a boss chorus pedal.