DD-500 is the best gear purchase I've made in years....

PTrusk

Seriously, best delay ever. Really digging some of the reverb-ish sounds I'm coaxing out of it. I'm ZORGing out here with some other pedal friends. Sound on sound reverse delay and "reverb" coming from the DD in A+B mode and short ambient coming from an old DOD.

rhoydotp

LOL ... not sure about best delay ever, but, it is close. Wait 'til you discover what you can do with it using MIDI!
I am having lots of fun with the ES-5 -> DD-500 combo at the moment.

I thought it was going on my main board but I just didn't dig the overall sound (also had some MIDI issues that were not the fault of the DD-500) as much as the Timeline. It's got great features but to me it's not head-and-shoulders over any other pedal super-delay.

But I'm glad you like it :)

Last edited:

PTrusk

LOL ... not sure about best delay ever, but, it is close. Wait 'til you discover what you can do with it using MIDI!
I am having lots of fun with the ES-5 -> DD-500 combo at the moment.
I've had quite a few delays over the years and currently have some real good ones; out of all that I've tried and used its the best.

I've been doing some fun ambient exploration running two different delays in stereo and its lush.

northstar6000

I am just getting knee deep in to my Boss DD500 (have had it for a week now). I am in love with some of the subtle dual delay settings, that give you slight doubling effect. Just magical.

Also love the Terra-Echo. Very unusual and ethereal. I had the pedal version, but the DD500 mode lets you go so much deeper!

Last edited:

rhoydotp

More details please!

What are you doing? Which parameters are you mapping to MIDI or to the ES-5 stomp switches?
I don't want to derail this thread so I will post the detail on another thread later on. To give you an idea, though
- I found 3 ways to change the tempo on the DD-500 from the ES-5 without using any other external input
- change feedback, effect level, etc ... on the fly from any DD-500 preset
- engage the Boss CTL1/2 patch settings from the same patch on ES-5

I think there were a couple more fun stuff I tried ... just need to remember them. I should start writing them down! LOL

Lef T

I bought a DD 500 a few weeks ago and it's a great pedal.
I don't use anything wacky on it,just some nice subtle delays.
I use it in mono and it works great in my Mesa loop.
I love the preset option,the millisecond readout,being able to switch presets in a bank,tap tempo and the easy tweakability this unit offers.
It's a low priced unit and does the trick for me.
I don't need any other delays.
I am going to get a dual footswitch that will let me bank up and down easily.
Trying to hit two footswitches at once doesn't always work.

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
The DD-500 has some vast capabilities that are not apparent at first blush. The thread where many of the deep tweakers share tips and tricks is a goldmine thread for any owner of the DD-500. I've given props to those guys in that thread as they greatly deserve it. I personally think that thread should be a Sticky (for reals).

The problem has plagued all Rokand gear. As a synth guy this is par for choruses for them. They have amazing products that can do great things. But the manuals suck, the support sucks, the presets are crap at showing it. Roland products, at least the digital ones, have always needed tweakers to get the best out of them.

So "out of the box" it's an OK 'Super Delay'. With tweaking, it's a monster.

Though I will say the Korg SD-3000 is the best, most underrated 'Super Delay' that's sadly no longer on the market. Luckily I grabbed one. I should have grabbed 2.

kcook301

I am just getting knee deep in to my Boss DD500 (have had it for a week now). I am in love with some of the subtle dual delay settings, that give you slight doubling effect. Just magical.

Also love the Terra-Echo. Very unusual and ethereal I the pedal version, but the DD500 mode lets you go so much deeper!
I thought the Tera Echo pedal was super funky and cool. I've been debating getting one.

earwax

The DD-500 has some vast capabilities that are not apparent at first blush. The thread where many of the deep tweakers share tips and tricks is a goldmine thread for any owner of the DD-500. I've given props to those guys in that thread as they greatly deserve it. I personally think that thread should be a Sticky (for reals).

The problem has plagued all Rokand gear. As a synth guy this is par for choruses for them. They have amazing products that can do great things. But the manuals suck, the support sucks, the presets are crap at showing it. Roland products, at least the digital ones, have always needed tweakers to get the best out of them.

So "out of the box" it's an OK 'Super Delay'. With tweaking, it's a monster.

Though I will say the Korg SD-3000 is the best, most underrated 'Super Delay' that's sadly no longer on the market. Luckily I grabbed one. I should have grabbed 2.
Pretty much how I feel about the DD-500. I ended up parting ways with the DD-500 and keeping my SDD-3000 pedal. I could be happy with either really. Great pedal.

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
Ha! Guess I just didn't get this one; tried it, sent it back.

Truth be told just more then I need, and to my ears, I liked the sound of my Diamond a lot better. And no tweaking to get the Diamond to sound great. That being said, if you want a large number of delay options, I can see the appeal of the DD-500.

Seance

I don't want to derail this thread so I will post the detail on another thread later on. To give you an idea, though
- I found 3 ways to change the tempo on the DD-500 from the ES-5 without using any other external input
- change feedback, effect level, etc ... on the fly from any DD-500 preset
- engage the Boss CTL1/2 patch settings from the same patch on ES-5

I think there were a couple more fun stuff I tried ... just need to remember them. I should start writing them down! LOL
Well I'd be interested in hearing more about the DD-500/ES-5 synergy.
I asked a question in the massive DD-500 thread and the ES-8 thread
about them being used together to access some of the secondary
functions of the DD-500, but I didn't get an answer, and I haven't
waded back into those deep-thread-waters to fish around since.

But I'd be curious to know if various speed settings in the
"assignable control functions" can all be mapped simultaneously
to separate foot switches on the ES-5 or ES-8 so you could hit
Roll 1/2 and Roll 1/8 and Twist and Warp and Hold whenever you
wanted to. Curious minds want to know.

Trending Topics